Join our zoo community

Camera Trap Footage

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Steefo, 21 Feb 2012.

1. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rather than tacking it onto the end of my previous post, I will post these separately- my first two camera trap videos. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Very cool. I like the way the pigeon almost collided with the rabbit!

Where's the ghost fog?

3. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Wow looks like you've got a couple of great spots there for lots of different animals. I am yet to get any ghosts or big foot on any of my cameras but all it takes is one capture ;)

Looking forward to seeing more clips.

4. DesertRhino150

Relatively recently, I came across the freshly-dead carcass of a rabbit laying against my garden fence (I am still unsure as to how it died- it had no injuries suggesting it had been attacked) and so moved it out into the open and rigged it with my camera trap. Over the following 2 days, there were four scavenging species that visited, along with another two species that just passed through. I hope in the future to do this again with a slightly larger carcass (roadkill muntjac perhaps) to try and draw in some of the shyer scavengers.

If you are at all opposed to images of dead animals/entrails then this might be worth a miss.

5. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

really interesting footage! The Badger REALLY wanted that rabbit :O)

6. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The fox fox reaction was interesting. I think he could smell your scent on the stick holding the rabbit.

7. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Sorry I've been away a while recently but some great footage on this thread. I have started working in Botswana the last couple of months working on an elephant project. I have had my camera trap out for a while in the area and here's some of the footage I have gotten so far.

8. nanoboy

Fantastic footage as always.

Did the first set of elephants and honey badger trip the camera at that distance? They look to be far away. What's the range of the motion sensor on your camera?

9. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Thanks nanoboy,

I'm not entirely sure what the range is. I think about 50-60ft but please don't quote me. I think the honey badger may have been closer as there is a half second delay from when the camera triggers the movement to the video starting normally. It's great in the daylight but I don't think the LEDs have the range at night as the videos are often darker. I'm working out here until November so I'll try and put a video up each month if I get some interesting footage.

10. nanoboy

Excellent. Keep the videos coming.

11. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I recently collected my camera from the bush to find the breeding herd of elephants in our area walked past. It was great to get them on the camera as they appear very cautious in our area and we have only seen them once so far. It's amazing how they notice the camera but I think it's the smell.

12. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I know we mentioned the importance of a security box and camouflage a while back for the camera traps and this just proves the importance really. Hope you like the video.

13. DesertRhino150

14. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Great footage DesertRhino150. Much harder to get good footage of the smaller mammals than the big elephants!

15. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I had my camera traps in camp recently so decided to set them up around camp to see what came past at night and managed to get some footage of a lioness with old cubs and a leopard. Enjoy.

Lion and leopard on Bushnell trophy camera

16. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

17. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. DesertRhino150

Following the massive flooding across large parts of the UK, including the field behind our garden where most of my previous camera trap films came from, I decided to put out a camera right along a relatively dry edge of the resultant lake.
    Over that week-long period thirteen species passed through including two muntjac deer, a fox, a green woodpecker and a very unseasonal hedgehog. In this compilation film, twelve of the species can be seen if you look hard enough (the thirteenth being yours truly, running off into the bushes :p).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fkccagWC8U&feature=youtu.be

19. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

20. DesertRhino150

The group 'Habitat ID' have just released their first round of camera-trap images from Virachey National Park. Animals they recorded included sun and Asiatic black bears, sambar, wild boar, muntjac, gaur, the first record of a Chinese serow from northern Cambodia and a very unusual-looking civet (I don't think it is a new species as they claim- it looks like an oddly-coloured common palm civet).

First round of camera-trap results are in! | :: HABITATID.ORG ::