Join our zoo community

Canon 1100D multiple focus points

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by bongorob, 4 Oct 2012.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have a Canon 1100D. It has 9 focus points. Even when using one of these points on the subject I am photographing I'm getting out of focus shots because the camera reads the nearest object and focuses on that.

There must be a way to use only one focus point, does anyone know how to do this?

2. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

Looking at the back of your 1100D I think the little button on the top right that looks like a cross is the one. I have a 40D and a 450D and it's the same one.
    Press the button and then use the wheel above the shutter button to scroll between points - it'll show red when selected. so if all points selected all will be red, the next should sllow you to select any of the 9 points individually. when happy re-press your button and you should see the point when you shoot through the viewfinder.

Attached Files:

3. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

You'd think... I tried that when we were last in the zoo and it didn't seem to work as expected although it's described the same way in the documentation.

Rob, the instructions on how to do this are on page 83 of the manual, available here: EOS REBEL T3 / EOS 1100D Instruction Manual

4. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

ah - just had a look at one of the photography blogs I read and the review for this camera also contains this advice:

"The EOS 1100D / T3 offers a range of three auto focus modes (One Shot, AI Focus and AI Servo) and there's a 9-point AF module with a cross-type centre point and eight line-type AF sensors. One Shot AF is equivalent to AF-S, while AI Servo is the same thing as AF-C on other manufacturers' models. AI Focus is similar to what some other camera makers call AF-A in that it automatically switches from One Shot AF to AI Servo if a still subject starts moving. As regards AF point selection, it can be done manually by hitting the AF point selector button first, then using the four-way controller to select the AF point. The chosen/active AF point lights up in red in the viewfinder"

so where as every Canon I have ever had uses the wheel to change focus point - this one seems to use the 4-way controller on the back instead!! :rolleyes:

5. bongorob

I've had a look at the instructions SMR and I still can't get just one focus point.

6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Did you try hitting the autofocus selector button, then hitting the 'Set' button?

7. bongorob

Can't get my camera to remember the setting

8. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Ok, bring it over to my place and I'll have a look at it for you. Better yet, I'll meet you at Taronga and look at it for you. Good excuse to visit the zoo.

:p

Hix

9. bongorob

Still trying to sort it out, could you put all that into English for me please? Is one shot AF the function I want?

10. bongorob

Still can't get it to work

11. callorhinus

callorhinus Well-Known Member

At this moment it looks for me that you can not switch your camera to use single focus point. Can you describe your problem in detail, if I didn't understand you correctly?