Join our zoo community

Cape Buffalo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Marios, 15 Dec 2010.

1. Marios

Marios Member

I wanted to ask, does anyone know about zoos anywhere which have cape buffalo?
    I have seen archive footage of London Zoo I think that had them (not sure) of many years ago, but I am curious if any zoos currently have them.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

3. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. Marios

Marios Member

Thanks guys, Zootierliste is so easy to use, I hope they update it

5. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was beginning to think there weren't many Bovidae in Europe when I clicked 'Bovids' - then quickly realised it was split with the sheep, goats, duikers, gazelles, antelope etc.

6. jwer

Zootierliste is updated by anyone who wants to and edited by a group of enthousiasts. If you'd like to add or edit information then just become a member :) (like others on this forum).

It's pretty actively updated by quite a lot of members.

7. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

I would actually put more trust on Zootierliste than ISIS any day.

8. Javan Rhino

Since Zootierliste is much more accurate than ISIS, I was wondering whether there was only a 'Zootierliste' for Europe? Are there any similar sites for North and South America, Asia, Australia and Africa that are equally as reliable?

9. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Not that I'm aware of (sadly). Sounds like a good challenge for someone! I'd have thought an Australia/NZ one in particular should be fairly achievable along similar lines, if there were enough locals interested to get it going.

It's a useful idea - certainly Zootierliste jumped very quickly into my most used websites once it got going.

10. Javan Rhino

Yup, I'd like to add that a North America with USA, Canada and Mexico would probably be achievable.

If we could have a South America or Asia one, it would certainly be good to see which institutions keep their more obscure native species.

11. jwer

The Zootierliste has been made by a small group of german zoo enthousiasts. It started just a few years ago with a forum-setup and grew into this (rather magnificent) site.

These enthousiast still tend to and edit the site, which costs them a hell of a lot more time then you'd imagine (I can imagine though). That's why they are not interested in setting up another site, and edit that as well. Perhaps if a serious group of north american enthousiasts would want to set up something similar they would be willing to help, but not spend even more time and money then they do at the moment...

12. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Their present contribution is good enough; I admire them very much and I'm glad that I discovered the site. I know how to use a part of it but there is still more that I need to learn how to use, for instance past holdings.

At least two of those behind Zootierliste are here on Zoochat: 'Animal' and 'Kowari'

South America, Africa and Asia are next to impossible due to the same issues as Vernon Kisling cited as the chief challenges in his editorial for that great book 'Zoo and Aquarium History' (2000): "...the diversity of languages involved with such a task, to gain access to the regional information, and the understand the varied cultural influences on zoo and aquarium development..."

North America would be possible due to a major shared language (English) and common understanding of the other two (Spanish for the USA and then French for Quebec). As to Europe, those behind Zootierliste are fluent in English, their mother tongue is German, and they no doubt know French too. That made the site possible, along with their great interest, and willingness to travel.

13. Javan Rhino

I didn't mean a branch of Zootierliste itself, just something along the same lines set up by Americans and Australians for their respective areas :)

14. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It would be great if zootierliste included at least some non-European zoos. There is no need to be complete or up tp date. Sort of just grew.

Especially animals not found in Europe but in few American or Australian zoos would be great.

15. animalman

animalman New Member

I wish the Kansas City zoo could get some since they have that big plains exhibit. I also wish they could get Wildebeest too.

16. slendercat

slendercat Active Member

wmsp has them along with asian buffalo and congo buffalo

17. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The AZA is phasing out Cape Buffalo in the US, so it's unlikely KC Zoo, or any accredited US zoo, will be getting any.

18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What zoos still have Cape Buffalo in the U.S.? I know Busch Gardens in Tampa does and so does the San Diego Wild Animal Park. Are there any others? And isn't the San Diego Zoo the last AZA zoo with Congo Buffalo? With Safari Wilderness being the only other zoo with them?

Man, we really do need an American version/expansion of ztl...

~Thylo:cool:

19. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Safari West, Denver, and Tulsa (0.1). Still keep them with at least San Diego still actively breeding.

20. carlos77

carlos77 Well-Known Member

Various mexican zoos have cape buffalo. Morelia, León, Africam Safari, Zacango and Guadalajara all have cape buffalo. They seem to breed well here.