Join our zoo community

Blackpool Zoo CAPS protest

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by bongorob, 5 Apr 2012.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

"Animals shouldn't live in confinement" is certainly an arguement I am sick of, as it isn't remotely valid for the greatest proportion of species. Habitat fragmentation, marked territories etc are still confinement, but because there's no physical fence CAP's just don't get it!

Ohhhh, if anybody needs me I'll be in the 'Angry Dome!'

3. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

You'll find me with you there! - No animals shouldn't live in confinement but what if something goes wrong back out in Africa or somewhere and that wipes out an entire species? That's what Zoo's are here for!

Yes some areas of the zoo need updating/upgrading but Blackpool are well on course to upgrade the areas which need updating the most [Ape interior, outdoor Orangutan exhibit, and of course the Elephant interior].

4. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

Please, if your going to protest a Zoo, be it one that deserves protesting against.

I'm all for a Captive Animal Protection Society, A society that protects animals by keeping them in captivity and therefore ensuring the species survival through a variety of mediums.

If a zoo keeps animals in poor conditions causing poor health then it warrants being protested against but come on CAPS, this is Blackpool Zoo, what have you got to protest against, other than the generic Animals shouldn't be captivity, I'm sure you'll have some twisted truths about Blackpool Zoo, Trained Elephants doing circus tricks, being ankle chained etc. Why try and get the Zoo's with the good conditions closed down, surely you should harness all your efforts into the places with the poorest conditions and maybe you would have us Zoo enthusiasts on your side.

5. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

The fools are also going to protest outside Dudley, I do hope it rains and blows a gale just for that day.

6. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

I´ve just found out that there´s gonna be a protest in front of the Dublin Zoo this Saturday as well :mad:

(DEMONSTRATIONS & OTHER EVENTS)

I had a look on their Dublin Zoo "facts" page and they claim, for example
    Pretty optimistic statement, isn´t it?

7. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

CAPS basically want all zoos closed. It's on their web site. They have been having these "protests" outside many zoos for a number of years. It really is about time some zoos took some legal actions against them when they make statements that are clearly false. This kind of nonsense has gone on for too long.

8. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

If CAPS are so angered by animals in captivity and enclosures that are not fit for the animals to live in then I suggest they get off their fat arses and stand outside places that deserve then being there I am on about the Chemical/Perfume/Testing Labs/ect,ect but thought not they can’t get any publicity outside these places as NORMAL people already do it.

As I have said before I used to sit outside zoos in the early 80’s when most zoos deserved it but nowadays it’s a different matter.

CAPS go and do it at places that deserve it or just do everyone a favour and SHUT UP!!!!!!!

9. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

Apparently they are at Twycross tomorrow and Chester Zoo on Sunday - mentioned in our local paper too!

10. max

max Well-Known Member

Where do these people protest at places like Twycross and Chester? Surely they can't get up to the gates as that would be on zoo/private land? Roadside protests?

11. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

I think they look for as much publicity as possible - so the bigger and better zoos which have lots of visitors are the ones where they are most likely to be seen.
    I too thought that the moment the start to block access or protest on any zoos property they will get asked to leave - but then I think that's what they want - it's publicity for them after all.

12. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They don't normally last long at Chester!

13. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the twycross protest went ahead?

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Animal rights campaigners hold protest outside Dudley Zoo - Sunday Mercury

15. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Empty vessels make most noise

“Sad eyes and empty lives – the reality of zoos.”

Are these people tabloid writers on their day off?

The demonstrators warned that the bank holiday action would be followed up by at least 1,000 of their members staging a huge animal rights rally in Birmingham city centre on April 28.

I'll believe that when I see it. CAPS bluffs it's a big organisation with popular support, in reality it's a handful of zealots.

He said zoos’ traditional argument that keeping animals in captivity meant their survival could be guaranteed “did not wash any more” because 95 per cent of animals in zoos were not endangered.

Do these people do any research? Oh, sorry that would invalidate their arguments:).

“Zoos are just a form of entertainment for humans, with most having other attractions as well, such as roller coasters – it’s nothing to do with protecting endangered species,” he said.

Not true (obviously), buts what would be wrong with animals kept just for entertainment if husbandry needs are met (like many people keep pets). Also how many UK zoos have roller coasters, I can think of about five, hardly "most".

“I would like to see all zoos shut down, but I’m realistic enough to know that will never happen, so at the very least we need more rigorous inspections,” he said.

I might have a little more respect (not much) if they were at least consistent and idealistic in their beliefs. What's the point of fighting for a cause if you think your aims are unachievable? In terms of inspections the UK system is already fit for purpose with channels for genuine complaints to be heard if needed.

Visitors were also asked to sign a petition which calls for more regular inspections of UK zoos.

Some naive people might sign this thinking, "more inspections can only be a good thing for the animals" and then CAPS can use the signatures to claim popular support. Sneaky and clever. Mix a simplistic, logically reasonable point with your propaganda to hide the fact you're talking out of your backside. Basically these people are over-indulged people with too much time on their hands looking for a cause to bring meaning to their lives (a modern malaise kick-started in the UK by the death of Diana and boosted since by modern media, but that's another day's rant)

Mr Suddock said Dudley had to undergo an inspection every three years and in the last one, in 2010, was given a clean bill of health.

“UK zoos are of the highest standard and our stringent zoo licensing inspection is regarded as the model to be rolled out across Europe,” he said.

“More than 24 million people visit zoos each year in the UK – a higher figure than attend Football League matches.”

He said they were used to protests by animal rights campaigners.

“They anger visitors and irritate queuing members of the public,” he said. “Zoos play an educational role at all levels from pre-school to PhD and also offer a fun day out for all the family.”

Great retorts, making some very good counter-points

Despite the ongoing controversy about keeping animals in captivity, the number of visitors to Dudley Zoo has increased by 22 per cent from January to March this year, meaning an extra 200,000 visitors are coming through the gates every year.

That would be great if true but I believe there's some funny, distorting extrapolation being carried out here. I'm not certain whether Edinburgh will add that many visitors in a year and they've got Giant Pandas! In fact I don't think any UK zoo, in modern times at least, has added 200,000 visitors in a year.

Sorry about all the bold, I couldn't get the original article up to show the quotes from (not techy enough) and used bold to enhance/simplify the layout (against my usual instincts, it's too much like shouting).

16. Chlidonias

Aren't CAPS against pets as well? So while I personally have no problem at all with zoos keeping animals for no more purpose than to let people see them (call it advocacy if you like), that would really be something the CAPS lot couldn't accept. And it makes a handy argument against zoos when the zoos themselves proclaim that their main reason for being is saving animals from extinction.

that was something I found amusing as well. The organisation's stated aim is to close down all zoos, but he is blatantly contradicting that and admitting its a pointless excercise!

I would imagine they get a lot of signatures this way. Does your average person (not Zoochatter-types) even know what CAPS are or what they do/are trying to do? If they're waving signs around saying "down with zoos" that might give a clue, but if someone just asks for a signature to make sure zoo animals are well looked after, then what sensible person would say "no, I want worse conditions for animals, stupid person"?

I thought it was well done, not at all like shouting. It actually made it much clearer to see which were your remarks/answers than what many people post.

17. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

The remark about the attendence being up 200,000 is a miss print as in the local press it states a rise of 22% on last years attendences of over 200,000, must say they had a great turn out (CAPS that is) by the photographs I have seen they only had 5 people there by members of the public not the media (photographs staged as always)

18. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Well-Known Member

19. Lynne

Lynne Active Member

If they did close down all zoo,s, think of the uneployment, where would the animals go. I,m a regular member at Blackpool, I like animals in all shapes and sizes. I,m classed as severly dissabled, but I get excersise, good clean fresh air and I love photographing animals as a hobby. The sealion shows are a hit with visitors, yes there trained to do certain tricks but also it aids the keeper to inspect the sealion. Only 1000 members, well that realy says it all doesn,t it.

20. Chlidonias

the animals would all go to Sanctuaries. But then because there would be no zoos CAPS would have to campaign against the Sanctuaries they sent all the animals too. And when they got them all closed down the animals could all be released to beautiful beautiful freedom. But then there would be no captive animals left, so CAPS would have to put on their thinking, er, caps, and start campaigning against animals killing other animals. The predators would all be put in Africa, and the herbivores would be put in North America. The omnivores would have to go to, lets say Australia because nobody cares about Australia anyway. Simple.

Who wants to sign my petition to get this underway?