Join our zoo community

Captive Breeding for Vaquitas?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Loxodonta Cobra, 17 Dec 2016.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Totoaba have never been farmed. Apparently they're slow to grow and reproduce, which would make it difficult. I do agree that the totoaba needs press as well, it has been bugging me that people are acknowledging the totoaba problem when talking about the vaquita yet don't seem as concerned about saving them. But in all fairness, if we discuss this in the context of captive breeding, a captive vaquita program probably has a better shot than a totoaba one.

d1am0ndback, carlos55 and JVM like this.
  2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. TheMightyOrca

Eh, most AZA facilities are non-profit, so I'm pretty reluctant to complain about them not donating enough money to wild causes. It's still a good chunk of cash. But I'm hoping that these places will also put more effort into educating guests about the subject as well.

JVM and Coelacanth18 like this.
  4. TheMightyOrca

Arizona Docent likes this.
  5. TheMightyOrca

International Save the Vaquita Day is July 8th

July 8th, 2017 will be International Save the Vaquita Day. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, there is a list of planned venues for the event. There are a bunch in California, as well as two in Arizona. Several of them are being held at aquariums and zoos. I'm happy to see one is planned for Houston, if I'm in the area at the time I'm gonna try to go. You can also sign up to volunteer at one of the venues.

6. TheMightyOrca

7. TheMightyOrca

Thinking about this a bit more, I'm wondering if conservation groups are focusing more on the vaquita as an attempt to save both. They're threatened by the same thing, saving one saves the other. A cute little porpoise in goth makeup has more public appeal than a fish that's admittedly a bit dull-looking. But it still sucks that the fish doesn't get much attention. (though I'm also wondering about population estimates. They found a net with 67 totoaba, that's twice the number of vaquitas estimated)

Also, it seems there are already totoaba hatchery programs. The one in the first link even released some young ones into the Gulf. I certainly hope the vaquita program can produce the same results!

Souls of the Vermilion Sea Our final shoot of 2015 for Souls of the Vermilion Sea – It’s a Wrap!

Totoaba Aquaculture and Conservation: Hope for an Endangered Fish from Mexico’s Sea of Cortez

JVM likes this.
  8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Brum, devilfish, Merintia and 4 others like this.
  9. TheMightyOrca

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH SO CUTE

I just poked around online and it looks like it's made by the Fiesta company. The Aquarium of the Pacific sells them on their website. I already have a life-sized handmade vaquita plush, (admittedly it's janky looking) but I might buy one of these too. It can be the baby. :D

Arizona Docent likes this.
  10. Merintia

Merintia Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ohhh, are so well made! That´s a must-to-have for the ones like me that collect all kind of cetacean-related stuff. I´ll check the websites, hopefully they´ll send to Europe :rolleyes:

I have a Vaquita too, but carved in wood by my grandfather and painted by me, hehe.

11. TheMightyOrca

Vaquita Porpoise Stuffed Animal | Fiesta | Stuffed Safari

Stuffed Safari sells them as well, and they ship to Europe.

The wood carved vaquita sounds lovely! I've recently taken up pyrography and I've been wanting to do a vaquita design on a jewelry box or something.

12. Merintia

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

it looks like you have a little collection of wooden dolphins! Do you have a Hector's dolphin?

14. Merintia

15. Chlidonias

that's neat. I didn't realise they were that small either (the models I mean). Are they to scale with one another?

16. Merintia

Yes, well, we tried to scale them, but for the last ones we just adapted to the size of the pieces of wood left, so the final result was not totally accurate XD

17. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is just sickening.

19. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

“If there’s one lesson learned, it’s that we can’t manage humans.”

There are a lot of lessons we should be learning from this, but that is definitely NOT one of them. Accepting that human activity can't be managed or controlled condemns every threatened species to extinction and our Earth to environmental catastrophe. The vaquita isn't on the brink like this because it was inevitable, they are going extinct because we did not do enough, fast enough, to prevent a foreseeable decline.

20. Chlidonias

that's a shockingly fast decline:
    "In 1997, scientists counted 567 vaquitas; the number dropped by half in the next nine years, to 245. In just one year, the number halved again, to only 30 last year from 60 in 2015."