Join our zoo community

Captive breeding to wild quick question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Adrian k, 12 May 2016.

1. Adrian k

Adrian k Well-Known Member

Just sitting on my computer watching the birdlife in my garden and started wondering the following.

Which zoological collections breed species to actually release back into the wild, I think most zoological collections breed rare species to swap or let go to other collections for breeding purposes to keep the captive population pure.

As ALL collections run the pretense that they are in existence to keep or help with the rare or endangered species of the world from becoming extinct, I know many zoological collections have projects around the world many doing great jobs some with no publicity at all.

As a bird lover I feel there is not enough emphasis on native species especially the Hen Harrier it will be interesting to see what happens and what explanations come from the Captive collections if/when this species becomes Extinct in the UK.

I would be extremely interested if any members have any info on which zoological collections have successfully managed to release species back into the wild.

Last edited: 12 May 2016
  2. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just off the top of my head, the first collection that springs very much to mind is Durrell, with various Mascarene (and other?) species.
    There is also Chester, with it's sand lizard programme.

Last edited: 12 May 2016
  3. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rotterdam and Gaiazoo with European Hamster
    Several German zoos with European Wild Cat
    Tallinn Zoo with European Mink
    Quite some zoos with Prewalski's Horse and European Bison
    Fota and Whipsnade with Corncrakes
    Quite some zoos with Cinereous vulture
    Jerez Zoo with Iberian Lynx

To give some examples

4. Adrian k

Many thanks for the info folks please keep it coming as it makes very interesting reading again many thanks folks

5. GONZO

GONZO New Member

Howletts

There is of course Howletts/Port Lympe with Gorillas and, for my part, Black Rhinoceros. Damian Aspinall has sent quite a few of the latter out to Tony Fitzjohn and the Rhino Sanctuary he runs at Mkomazi. Admittedly, at this stage, they are semi-wild but they are breeding.

6. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Paignton with cirl buntings.
    Marwell and many others with scimitar-horned oryx.

Alan

7. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Durrell and Paradise Park with Red-billed Choughs.

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am getting forgetful :(

Chester with harvest mice.
    Slimbridge with water voles (and others too?).

Don't forget the two big projects involving hatching and rearing birds from eggs taken from the wild.

The Great Crane Project at Slimbridge & Pensthorpe for release on the Somerset Levels (the captive rearing phase ended last year).

The Great Bustard Group, rearing at Birdworld for release on Salisbury Plain.

Alan

9. Carl Jones

These reintroduction projects work best when working with native species or where there are captive breeding projects in the country where the species are being reintroduced. Breeding species in one country for release in an other is not in most cases viable.

10. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Carl do you feel this also to be the case if species are bred in the region, by example the case of the cinereous vultures where due to capacity they are bred all over Europe but the release is focused in France. The same is the case with European bison. The animals are often not released in the same country as they are bred.

11. Adrian k

I think this is going a little of the track of my Question that was which zoological collections actually breed species to release back into the wild and not breeding projects supported by the zoological society.

Example -

crested newt Dudley Zoo straight back into the wild no middle man so to speak

I must admit I have found the info already supplied by yourselves as opened my eyes to what the zoological society actually do outside of the captive collections (perhaps that should be another thread - which zoos do what for rare species).

12. Carl Jones

The further the release site from the captive breeding programme the more potential problems. These can be logistic, acclimatisation, permits, quarentine, and the potential spread of disease. Hence the notion that we breed animals in developed countries and release them back in their native range, often the other side of the world, is an idea that needs to be abandoned for lack of utility. This is why there has been such a rise in programmes where species are transported relatively short distances.

13. Carl Jones

We do not need captive breeding programmes for Hen Harriers. Game keepers need to stop shooting them.

Swampy likes this.
  14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So what do you think are the implications for a species like Spix Macaw, the majority of which are being bred at Al Wabra in the Middle East, and will presumably in the future have to form the major proportion of birds for a release project in Brazil.?

15. overread

overread Well-Known Member

Certainly local providence and local breeding is the best approach for any species reintroduction.

Local species might have minor adaptations enough to make them suitable for that habitat which might even make them a viable subspecies. Meanwhile local upbringing gets them used to the specific climate they will live within and can influence important element such as how they associate their home territories.

Indeed with some highly nomadic or territorial animals you almost have to raise and release in the area they are expected/hoped to live within.

Of course pens are not cheap to build and you need on the ground skilled personal to deal with the animals. It's a big investment - especially if you're going into a country that hasn't got a legacy of zoo level captivity nor of working with specific rare species. I think this cost is why many places don't approach that angle and instead are more prepared for transportation costs; which are significantly less even though they would potentially happen several times.

The Hen harrier comment is also key; reintroductions only work if there's habitat and if the people are both accepting and have methods and skills to interact with those new species. Many times you can see the same problem in that release of endangered or extanct species happens in areas where people living there and working the land have had no experience of dealing with those animals; possibly for generations. Thus they've no means to know how to deal with them and often as not the gun is a very simple; very easy to use approach.

I read an interesting bit on wolf reintroductions/population support regarding farmers and training them how to train dogs to be raised to be herd dogs with the sheep; thus the dogs would protect said sheep from wolf incursions. The dogs had a name but it escapes me what the term was.

Reintroduction is complex and done well and properly is a very significant investment; so its no surprise that some corners are cut wherever possible since its essentially a donation enterprise for the organisation(s) supporting it (at best ecotourism can generate revenue from some species being reintroduced; but that is often local level economic increase rather than filtering back to the organisation)

16. Adrian k

Last year their were only 4 breeding pairs in the UK so I take it on your thoughts their are no need for any breeding programmes for any species around the world then.

So no breeding programmes for Rhino's or Elephants for that matter any animal that is being forced into extinction by US through shooting or hunting.

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Incorrect; last year there were 6 successfully breeding pairs in England alone. The last population estimate for the UK as a whole was in 2010, when there was a total of 574 breeding pairs, about 80℅ of which were located in Scotland.

In other words, you assumed the out-of-date 2014 figure for England applies to the UK as a whole.

As for your scorn about Carl's opinions, he is correct; no amount of captive breeding of Hen Harrier will do any good when gamekeepers persecute and kill any individuals they locate - any captive-bred birds would not be exempt from this fate once released. Moreover, accusing him of believing captive breeding of endangered species is futile is an incredibly idiotic stance considering who he is, and what he has done.

jde7582, Goura and FBBird like this.
  18. Carl Jones

The issues around the conservation of the Hen Harrier are related to the management of grouse moors. I recommend you read the book Inglorious by Mark Avery, where he goes into many of the issues involved. Hen Harriers are doing better in Wales where the level of persecution is less.

If a reintroduction project was necessary there are more effective methods than captive breeding, for obtaining young for release. A more effective technique would be to harvest first clutches of eggs from the wild birds for artificial incubation, hand rearing the young, and to use these for reintroduction. The adults would then lay a replacement clutches that they could be left to rear.

19. Carl Jones

Good point. The ideal is to have a population in Brazil where they can be bred and their young released. Moving birds from the Middle East to Brazil for a reintroduction project is problematic.

The Spix Macaw example is not typical and some of the birds do apparently have health issues related to their histories in mixed collections of exotic parrots.

20. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Though not impossible and I would rather have them in a place where they are completely safe and where a lot of knowhow is present. I imagine the risk of theft is much higher in Brazil then it is in UAE.

These large distance re-introductions can be successful though, Burgers Zoo in the Netherlands is sending captive bred white-tailed eagles to Israel almost yearly for re-introduction. Off course they are first kept in captivity in Israel first to let them adapt.

Further re-introduction examples for Adrian:
    Spadefoot toad bred in Artis Amsterdam, released in the eastern part of the Netherlands

Captive bred griffon vultures released in Spain, France, the Alps and the Balkans. Bearded vultures being released in the Alps and Spain.

Otter re-introduction in the Netherlands was based on wild and captive animals sourced in Sweden, Latvia & Poland.

Common raven re-introduction in the Netherlands was also based on captive individuals (from Dutch zoos, but maybe also other origin)

@Carl Jones, I really appreciate your input in these discussions! I am curious what you think of HWP's current program to prepare Amur leopards for re-introduction, as they are far away from the potential re-introduction site, but it is one of the iconic animals that zoos use to promote/validate ex-situ conservation and for this subspecies every individual counts...