Join our zoo community

Captive Orca News

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by wensleydale, 22 Aug 2014.

1. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I believe that the Moscow Dolphinarium has had Narnia and her male since last December.

Cetacean Cousins: T.I.N.R.O

That is the only place where the Russian Killer Whales appear to have been sent for sure. I doubt they will be sent anywhere in the United States and Western Europe, the uproar would be too great.

2. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Far East Russian Orca Project says they're all going to Russia and China as far as they know. But yeah, no way they'd go to the US or other parts of Europe, even if an American facility did find a way to get around the "no importing wild orcas" rule. (I don't know what the importing rules are for western Europe) There was some speculation that one of the whales was getting sent to Marineland Canada, but I could never find any reliable source on the matter, and the rumors died down when MLC opened for the year and there was no new whale. So as far as we know, they're all going to Russia and China for now. If the captures continue, I imagine we'll be seeing them sent to other countries.

I'm rather curious as to where the China orcas are going. I've found basically no information on that. Just rumors, nothing reliable.

3. wensleydale

Last edited: 25 Sep 2014
  4. wensleydale

Before Ulisses came to San Diego he lived at the Barcelona Zoo. When he left there an agreement was supposedly in place for either his return or for one of his offspring being sent in the event that he had a calf with one of SeaWorld's females.

Now that Kalia is expecting, what are the odds of this agreement being put into force? Also, who owns him? And is/was this agreement for real? I actually doubt it will be, given that the Barcelona Zoo seems to only be set up for Bottlenose Dolphins.

5. TheMightyOrca

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.843667028989041.1073742447.209997259022691&type=1

The dolphinarium holding two of the Russian orcas (Narnia and a male, no known name) has finally confirmed that they have the whales, and posted pictures and video. As suspected, they're being kept in the large domed building. I think the place is expected to be open at the end of the year. No word on where the other captured Russian orcas are. (still only the vague "facilities in Russia and China")

On a side note, they have very distinctive flukes.

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

The tanks before being used for orcas and covered by inflatable hangar.
    [​IMG]

8. wensleydale

My, what run down looking building (can I call it a building?) I wonder what it looks like inside. Probably not impressive. Probably smaller than the smallest pool at SeaWorld or Miami. I'll bet its dirty too. But I don't see any photos of the inside. I'll bet the whale in the Wildlife Extra article is either a SeaWorld whale or Lolita. Here is a guide to (nearly) every captive Killer Whale in every facility facility outside of Russia, containing the identifying features, if anyone wants to check. It looks like it could be Corky.

Cetacean Cousins: Captive Orca: Identification Charts

Why did they go transferring the whales before they had permanent housing? There no way I would take any dolphin until I had something permanent for them unless it was a life or death situation.

9. Elephas Maximus

They hurried with capture, trying to catch as much orcas as possible in the limits of quota.
    And in Russia, cetaceans are always crammed in small temporary tanks before being sent to permanent facilities, and if those are new, the animals should wait for building to be completed.
    Check out those belugas in 'adaptation center' at Nakhodka bay. Belugas are the most commonly captured cetaceans in Russia, with occasional poaching of Black sea bottlenoses (most bottlenoses in captivity are from Taiji now)

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  10. TheMightyOrca

Considering the facility, I rather doubt that the owners have the welfare of the animals greatly in mind. (and as Elephas said, it's pretty standard procedure for cetaceans in Russia) The animals may have been captured first and then purchased, and the owners wanted to get them before someone else did. Orcas don't go up for sale very often, and according to this interview with respected researcher Erich Hoyt, captures in Russia have been pretty unsuccessful until recently. (I do recommend reading the interview; it has good info on other aspects of the topic)

11. Elephas Maximus

3 of 7 captured orcas were sold to China this year. Probably all to same facility.
    Now we have 2 orcas for Primorsky aquarium (can't tell genders but likely a pair since possible breeding means extra orca for free) and 1.1 for Moscow aquarium.

12. Elephas Maximus

Also at Russian Orca forum it's said that Russian biologists which study orcas are not allowed to work with the captured whales (and are hated by owners for protesting capture).
    The trainers & vets are those who worked with belugas previously. They have a rich experience indeed - in 2012, 44 belugas were captured, and more than 80 in 2013.

13. TheMightyOrca

Yeah, apparently they're all at various facilities in China and Russia. (I thought there were only 2 sent to China? I'm pretty sure both were sent to the same place) There just hasn't been a lot of information on exactly where. Since they haven't public appearances, it's probably safe to assume that their tanks are still being built.

14. TheMightyOrca

A few bits of captive orca news: (you're gonna have to use Google translate on these)

Apparently Kamogawa Sea World is going to start AI with their whales, most likely from the unaffiliated SeaWorld parks in the US. Source I'm honestly surprised they didn't do this sooner.

More information on some of the Russian orcas. This facility plans on setting up webcams to allow people to view them. SeaWorld is also acting as a consultant for their shows, though doesn't say to what extent SeaWorld was consulted. Source

Older news, but I think I finally found the source of the rumors/claims that Marineland Canada was trying to get a Russian orca. Really vague, though. Source (go down to CAZA Inspection Report, October 30, 2012. The end makes mention of a failed attempt to get her a companion. That's still like, barely any information, but it's the only confirmed source I can find that MLC was trying to get other orca)

15. wensleydale

When is Kalia going on birth watch? And what's the latest we will get an outcome on her pregnancy?

16. wensleydale

Kalia is a mother!

No word on whether the calf is nursing yet. It should soon, if it hasn't already. This is significant. We have a F4 captive bred Killer Whale, and also SWSD now has a mother, her daughter, and her daughters offspring all together, in effect a multi generational pod. This also makes Katina a Great Great Grandmother. And less than three decades ago we had not had a single successful birth in captivity.

Killer Whale Born at SeaWorld | NBC 7 San Diego

http://www.10news.com/lifestyle/killer-whale-born-at-seaworld-san-diego-12022014

Last edited: 3 Dec 2014
  17. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They truly have a magnificent family unit down there now.

They have Kasatka, her three calves, and her one grand-calve all living together. As well, Kalias father Keet, and the new calves father, Ulises, live at San Diego as well !

(in a somewhat interesting fashion, Ulises is 15 years older than Keet, but that's irrelevant)

18. wensleydale

19. TheMightyOrca

20. wensleydale

Maybe the type of repair they need to do won't require her to be moved, though it would be a gas if she could visit Orlando for a little while (I am not holding my breath and I know full well how serious any kind of transfer might effect her.) I have heard that they have a backstage area, however it is clearly not immediately to the back of the Whale and Dolphin Stadium. There is a med pool behind the backdrop though. Currently I'm Google Earthing the Seaquarium but I can't find any substantial pools that look like they could hold her just yet.