Join our zoo community

Captive vs. Wild Bottlenose Dolphin Lifespans

Discussion in 'United States' started by SharkFinatic, 19 May 2019.

1. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Interesting read. Sadly, I think we all who won't be reading it:p:mad:.

Great Argus and ZooBinh like this.
  3. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There was already one study before with the same conclusion.

(Actually, I think studies of wild dolphins are atypically optimistic due to researchers picking the healthiest wild populations to study).

Great Argus likes this.
  4. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When was that study published?

5. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Even if the people you mean would read it, I don't think it would make that much of a difference. Longevity is only one aspect of animal welfare and it's only a small aspect of the criticism of the welfare of bottlenose dolphins and cetaceans in captivity. Longevity alone does not determine welfare nor it is even nearly sufficient as an argument in favor of cetacean captivity.

I'm sure the detractors of cetaceans in captivity will probably call the study pro-captivity propaganda or scientifically unsound. Advocates/defenders of cetacean captivity might use this study as part of their arguments, but I don't think this will dispell the criticism of cetacean captivity or sway public opinion and policy on the matter in any way, given the above.

I think the tide is currently very much against continuation of cetacean captivity at the cultural and societal level and I think the matter is probably settled, or at least nearly so, outside of the industry and a small group of supporters. I don't think studies like this will make any difference at this point - cetaceans in captivity are on the way out, whether you like it or not.

I myself am fairly critical of cetaceans in captivity and have very mixed feelings about the subject, although for the time being, I will still consider visiting facilities with captive cetaceans, if the facility has enough of interest to offer besides captive cetaceans and shows.

Hammy likes this.