Join our zoo community

Carolina parakeet

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by Jurek7, 1 Aug 2020.

1. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I found a fascinating information about Carolina Parakeet in captivity, and not only: apparently a free-living breeding group existed in Germany for over 40 years:

"Carolina Parakeet Conuropsis carolinensis † At the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th century, the Carolina parakeet was one of the most common parrots on the German bird market (D. Hoppe, pers. comm.). In the 19th century, there were several free-flight experiments in Germany with this species, which also resulted in breeding [group] established in the Seebach TH area (von Berlepsch 1874). The numbers were drastically decimated by shooting e.g. around 1876 and in the 1920s, and finally wiped out. The species is now extinct worldwide."

https://club300.de/publications/010_neozoa/Bauer_Woog_2008_Neozoen_in_Deutschland.pdf

2. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

@Jurek7 , to contribute with your thread, I will post the former holdings Zootierliste lists for Carolina Parakeet:

Berlin Aquarium (closed 1910)
    Kept until 1907. No more information in the listing.

Berlin Zoo
    Kept in different years. 1845, 1847.

Then, again they were kept from 1874 to 1888.

After the death of that individual/individuals, they were kept from 1894 to 1904. This group bred in 1894 and 2.2 chicks hatched. No more information available, no information on the chicks either.

Zoo Dresden

They were kept before 1900 and in 1864, eggs were laid. No more information available in the listing.

Zoo Frankfurt

Possibly kept in 1858? until 1879. In the 1860, there was nest building signs and there was breeding. In 1858, 0.0.2 birds were sold and in 1960, 0.0.5 birds were sold.

Zoo Hamburg (closed 1931)

They were kept from around 1902 to 1913 (last specimen in Europe). Also, before 1900 in at least 1877 they were kept.

Zoo Hannover

They were kept before 1900 and there were breeding attempts in 1869. Also, it is of interest that in the Hannover city forest, as mentioned previously there was a Carolina Parakeet colony.

Zoo Köln

Kept since 1860. No more information was available in the listing.

Münster Zoo (closed 1973)

The birds were kept in 1876.

This is the list of German former holders. There are more in Europe and you can check them out on Zootierliste.

Summer Tanager and evilmonkey239 like this.
  3. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just to mention, Seebach, TH[uringen] and Hannover city are different parts of Germany. They must have been different introduction attempts (assuming, of course, that the info is correct).

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Lord Derby had Carolina parakeets at Knowsley, but I don't know whether they were bred or kept at liberty (as his passenger pigeons were). 4 birds were listed in the catalogue for the sale of his animal collection after his death in 1851. They may have gone to Bristol Zoo or London Zoo which both kept this species.

Summer Tanager likes this.
  5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Im pretty sure the only parrot species he recorded breeding was the Budgerigar, and those young dns.

6. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You may well be correct. The Avicultural Society does not record a successful breeding of the budgerigar in the UK until 1850. I saw the stuffed body of chick which died just before leaving the nest in February 1848 at Liverpool Museum (now called Liverpool World Museum) some years ago. There is a record of another chick which died at the same time, but that specimen is lost. The label gave me the impression that a further chick or chicks survived from that brood, but I suspect that I got that wrong. 2 budgies are listed in the catalogue for the final sale at Knowsley, under the name of 'sparrow parakeets'.

Summer Tanager and FBBird like this.
  7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Far as I know, those two dead chicks were all there was. Knowsley bred few if any parrots, probably just not set up for breeding. They did of course do well with waterfowl, pheasants and cranes

9. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the Eastern part of the USA the Philadelphia Zoo was the first to breed the species. On Sept. 9 1885 an egg laid by the Carolina parakeet hatched under a Turtle dove which was used as forster-parent. Don't know however if the chick was raised.

JVM, Summer Tanager and Jungle Man like this.
  10. Summer Tanager

Summer Tanager Active Member

This is a fascinating thread - I had no idea that Carolina Parakeets had been exported to Germany or bred in captivity there! Thank you for starting and contributing to this post.

Wisp O' Mist and JVM like this.