Join our zoo community

Celebrity power undermining global conservation efforts, scientists warn

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by UngulateNerd92, 16 Jan 2021.

1. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Leading scientists have warned that global conservation is being undermined by celebrity power after they suffered death threats and abuse in a hostile dispute over trophy hunting.

Groups such as the Campaign to Ban Trophy Hunting and Born Free are pressuring the UK and US governments to ban trophy hunting, with support from many famous names, much of the public and more than 150 MPs across the political spectrum.

Many of them signed an open letter calling for a ban, which scientists say contained misleading information.

Several scientists told the Guardian that poor political decision-making and abuse directed at them are being fuelled by what they describe as “myths driven by emotion and morality that ignore critical facts”.

They also warn that well-meaning but ill-informed campaigning on the emotive issue risks imperilling millions of acres of wildlife habitat and African livelihoods.

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.amp...fforts-scientists-warn-trophy-hunting-dispute

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing @UngulateNerd92 !

Interesting article, do you mind me sharing this on my thread / poll on trophy hunting ?

3. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Go ahead. I am sorry I didn't post it there beforehand?

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Thanks and no worries , I just think its a really interesting article and could add to the discussion on that thread so wanted to add it.