Join our zoo community

CHALLENGE: Create an interesting exhibit with a "boring" animal!

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Agalychnis, 17 Jun 2014.

1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The last Lanceloated Jay I saw was in the Murree Hills of Pakistan in 1978 .

2. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Here in Brazil there's a lot of stingless bee species and it's as easy and cheap to set beehives for them as for Apis bees, except a) they're native species (people often forget that Apis are mostly invasive when "educating" about how they're important for the "plant$", although they still important and not as bad as some other invasive species out there) and b) people can actually get close to them (some of the species will at maximum try to enter your orifices and get stuck in your hair if you get too close, which is not the case of the Tetragonisca angustula established in the lower trunk of a tree that kids are climbing all the time from one of my city's local parks). A enclosureless exhibit with natural-looking beehives (this kind of bees establish themselves inside of tree trunks), little windows to show how they stock their honey in small pots rather than in honeycombs and etc could inspire local people to protect the (right) bees and show that meliponiculture actually exists.

3. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A walk-through tunnel area for passerine fish (anchovies, sardines, menhaden, etc.)

4. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

It's the first time that I've seen calling the Clupeiforms as "passerines". But that's would be not a surprise if it's done by modern taxonomists, they're very able to lumpo Passeriformes and Clupeiformes in a single order :p
    Anyway I don't find clupeiforms as boring! They're rarely exhibited at aquaria (most are pelagic + planctivore and thus difficult to keep in captivity), and that alone makes them very interesting. Plus the way of coordinate schools they form is fascinating!

tom1998 likes this.
  5. Ebirah766

Well, I don't think the average aquarium visitor has the same tastes as a Zoochatter.

6. tom1998

tom1998 Active Member 5+ year member

Monterey Bay Aquarium does this really nicely with sardines, mackerel and anchovies. Actually less of a tunnel but still a really cool exhibit for 'boring' species :)

ThylacineAlive and Ebirah766 like this.
  7. Ebirah766

I believe the Aquarium of the Bay has a walk-through tunnel with a school of passerine fish.

tom1998 likes this.
  8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Why do you keep calling them that?

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  9. Ebirah766

I call them that because they're like the small birds of the fish world. They are in huge groups and have a flight response.

10. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In 2013 Discovery Cove had a large school of sardines in their snorkeling pool. I watched them scatter as a massive Southern Stingray swam through the middle which was really cool.

~Thylo

11. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

A kind of interesting exhibit for a boring species could be an underwater view for tigers for seeing them swimming.

12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bronx has underwater viewing in their Malayan Tiger enclosure.

~Thylo