Join our zoo community

cheap books on Natural History

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Chlidonias, 3 Oct 2012.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Alright, I see where it is on the map I have too, there is an unlabelled wooded exhibit hidden there (where the Emus are now).

The agouti enclosure is also unlabelled, and there are no sign of agouti, otters or water buffalo anywhere. The lemur islands have lemurs, with the patas monkeys where the Siamangs are now.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the agouti was early days, before I ever visited. When I started visiting there were otters in that round pen (I never saw them either though, because they were always asleep inside their house, probably because they had such a crappy little pen to live in!). The otters and buffalo left the zoo (either intentionally or through death, I'm not sure) in the mid to late 80s I guess. They didn't make a return for a long time, in both cases to the locations where they are currently kept. I think the otters were back in the mid-90s (maybe 1996 or so), the buffalo some time later but I can't remember when.

The patas looked great on the now-siamang island, better than they did on the now-lemur island. I remember when the lions first moved in to the enclosure on the hill (where the hunting dogs are now) and the patas all shot up to the tops of their trees and started making alarm calls.

3. Chlidonias

thinking about this I realise that the flying fox has been in its current position since I was at school, so the wolf wood was not there after all and must have always been to the side of the lake. Memory's a funny thing.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes it is. Remember what this thread was originally about?

:p :p :p

Hix

5. Chlidonias

Original Poster says...."I'll allow the change in topic"

:p

6. Chlidonias

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

If you look on Abe Books (link below) you’ll see that there are copies of "The Evolution of Artiodactyls" for sale at less than £50; whilst nowhere near as cheap as some of the other books on this thread it is still considerably cheaper than the original selling price.

The Evolution of Artiodactyls Format: Hardcover: John Hopkins University Press 9780801887352 - Indoo

Thanks for drawing this publication to my attention; I’m tempted to treat myself to this dodo book at Christmas.

8. Chlidonias

9. callorhinus

callorhinus Well-Known Member

Two weeks ago I've received two books: "Walker's Carnivores of the World" (2005) and "Walker's Marine Mammals of the World" (2003) from PostScript (Books on Sale Clearance Titles - Postscript Books by Mail - New & Remainder Books - Book Remainders - Subject Listing. Chlidonias, thanks again for link!). I've read articles on species, and as for me these books (and the price too) are very good. Finally :) I decided to read foreword and introduction of second book. While reading list of species I was very surprised by this:

<...>
    crabeater seal, Lobodon carcinophaga
    leopard seal, Leptonychotes weddellii
    Ross seal, Ommatophoca rossii
    <...>

(Highlighted by me)
    My first thought was by the some reason Weddell seal is called leopard seal in English :). I noticed then that Weddell seal is absent in this list while I've read article about this species. So this part of list should be as follows obviously:

<...>
    crabeater seal, Lobodon carcinophaga
    leopard seal, Hydrurga leptonyx
    Weddell seal, Leptonychotes weddellii
    Ross seal, Ommatophoca rossii
    <...>

As for me this mistake is not fatal, but still serious. I met such mistakes only two or three times in the "science" books. Am I unlucky or is it normally? I repeat: books are very good anyway.

10. Chlidonias

one of which is "The Complete Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe" by Paul Sterry (Editor).

Is this a field guide or a sort of encyclopaedia, and if the former is it worth getting or are there better options? Its only £9.99 so seems like a good buy.

"Collins Field Guide to Birds of the Palearctic" by Norman Arlott is only £5.99 .....

11. Chlidonias

12. Chlidonias

Walker's Marsupials is now also on sale for the same price (£3.99) if you're interested
    http://www.psbooks.co.uk/Sale_Subj.asp?Subj=Natural History

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

14. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow!What a hot tip,many of these i bought at full price-almost puts you off doing such a thing in future.I have to say [re childonias] that "Oceanic Anglerfishes is an unbelievable bargain and "Tucanos" is a superb book on the rhamphastidae...dont miss it!

15. Chlidonias

I've bought both already (haven't opened the packages yet though; still have some other books to get through first!).

I would encourage anybody to check the site every few weeks because they regularly add new bargains. The only problem I have is that I then want to buy more!!

16. Chlidonias

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

One of the books on that page which I particularly recommend, and have recommended at full price on this site before, is A Field Guide to Carnivores of the World by Hunter and Barrett. At full price it is essential for anyone seriously interested in carnivorans, but at the reduced price it is ideal for anyone I reckon.

18. Chlidonias

yes, I bought that full price when it first got released!

19. Chlidonias

not as cheap as PostScript, but the NHBS has remainders on sale for around half-price. I particularly like the look of "Magnificent Mihirungs"!!

NHBS | Backlist Bargains

20. Chlidonias