Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo 2015 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 12 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had the same problem as Adrian on my last visit, the zoo seemed empty of animals. I can't explain it.

2. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They've sold them all.

To pay for the authentic South East Asian artefacts in Islands.

:D

3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Parking at the front is disabled parking area, and I have never seen that full.

4. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

I went on sunday and it was chocker block then :)

@ Adrian - you are one of the few people not to complain that the majority of the "interesting" birds are now off show at CZ!

I think it is a combination of timing, luck and lack of screaming juvenilles that means an animal is more visible.
    Although some of the species do seem to be 'housed' quite early in the day considering the zoo is now open until 6pm - for instance - on sunday the elephants were called inside by about 3.30pm for whatever reason - OK people can still go round and into the house but the majority of day visitors just see a large empty paddock and don't read the sigh saying they can be viewed inside.

I will admit that I think this years Tiger Cubs appear to be much less visible than last years for some reason?

5. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought in the past the elephants went in for tea and outdoor poop-shifting and then could go back out, is this not what they do any more, they were still in when I left last time?

6. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

I left about 5.30pm on sunday and they were still inside - it might have just been a one off for training maybe but it did leave a major paddock empty right by the entrance

7. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

One thing I forgot to say was that I noticed they now have 2 exhibits for the tapir & capybara 1 - in there original one just before the spectacled bears 2 - in the old vicuna exhibit (signs on both exhibits) is this to be temp or not?

8. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The tapir, as far as I am aware, are all being kept in the old Guanaco/Vicuña paddock and have been since damage to the window in their usual house (although this has since been repaired). The capybara are spread across the two exhibits, with two adolescent males separated from the rest of the group.

9. ChesterZooFan

ChesterZooFan Well-Known Member

Although not on their website yet the zoo has released the 2014 annual report.

It was the most successful and busiest year in the zoos history, with revenue at an all time high (up by £1.6m to nearly £30m), the highest visitor numbers recorded (1.43m) and the busiest ever single day.

Part of the success has been put down to great autumn weather and the impact of 'Our Zoo' which drove an unprecedented volume of visitors in the winter months.

Revenue from commercial activities (shops, food, photo's etc) increased by £500k.

10. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I like that expression. Almost as good as your 'Bearworks' at YWP.;)

12. bongorob

Released it where? And to whom?

The annual report is a legal document for members of the NEZS.

I emailed the zoo on Monday to ask about the annual report. They did not reply.

13. ChesterZooFan

There is an article online. I haven't seen the report but they have released the info about revenue and visitor numbers etc

Maybe it's a snippet of info before the full report is available??

14. ChesterZooFan

Found this article on line (can't add a link but it's from 'AttractionsManagement.com'). Have selected the key points as below.....

....Following the launch of Chester Zoo’s Islands development, managing director Jamie Christon has said the project is only the start of the UK visitor attraction’s ambitious masterplan, as it aims to become a world leader in the sector.

The Islands development, which opened last week is only the beginning of a multi-year masterplan currently under development behind the scenes. “What we want to do... is start to geographically theme the rest of the zoo based around our field programmes across the world.”

“Rather than having animals in particular species enclosures, it will be in geographical zones so part of the conservation education message is people are bringing back what parts of the world animals live in and why they are critically endangered,”

The 111 acre zoo has earmarked an additional 389 acres of land for future development, but Christon first wants to focus on the existing zoo before expanding outwards. “We need to reassess and redesign what we’ve already got in the original zoo, which isn’t going to be an easy task,” he said. “It’s a tight zoo and to create one new area, we’ve probably got to move six or seven things to be able to do that. We’re in the process of creating that masterplan now and hopefully we’ll be able to start to see the beginning of those works next year.”

....I have to say I'm very excited about this, and think it is the right direction to be working towards! As early as next year seems almost implausible, especially with Islands having been delayed and over budget and still with at least another phase or two to be completed (tapirs etc) but here's hoping....

I'd like them to start by completing the African Savannah zone and grouping animals by geography as with Islands. Start by moving over the giraffe, cheetah and servals and showing the mole rats and smaller mammals that are currently off show. I would re-work the waterfowl and crane pens and do something better with the mongoose, meerkats, porcupines and warthogs. Add in some more hoof stock, reptiles and perhaps a group of hippos and this could be a stunning exhibit with far more to it than the usual 'Africa' experience one gets in other zoos especially if such a wide diversity of species and themed as well as they have done with the painted dog exhibit with red sand,thickets and kopje etc. They would need to expand into the large unused area behind the sitatunga, but think this would give enough space, especially if the have mixed or rotating enclosures.

Anyway we'll see what the plans are when they are announced in the coming months....

15. swampy1967

swampy1967 Active Member

is this the online article that you have seen.... :)

Chester Zoo hails record-breaking year | Insider Media

16. bongorob

The Annual General Meeting is on the 8th September.

17. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not sure if shared before, interesting video from last May. Mention work to start soon on hotel, is this still going ahead, thought this was canned before islands started construction.

https://youtu.be/qKBYVgvGw88

18. ChesterZooFan

19. ChesterZooFan

The hotel is mentioned in the article I quoted above. Stating that

"the zoo still has outline planning permission for a 150 room hotel which is still being considered for development"

So, it looks like the re-working of the actual zoo is taking priority which I am happy about.

20. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh dear! I have a feeling that I'm not going to like the Chester Zoo of the future as much as I liked the CZ of the past. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.