Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo 2016 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 31 May 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Which four enclosures?

Islands
    RoRA
    Old enclosure by the closed boat ride?
    ???

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There's also a pair on the former Anoa island

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can remember it as soay sheep island, before the anoas moved in.

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Saw one behind the giraffe house where the anteater were a few years ago, or the yard next to where they were possibly. The other three places were as you said.

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Summer issue of Z magazine is now available - Very little in terms of news that isn't parroted from the website as usual. But one paragraph did catch my attention from Mark Pilgrim's introduction...

I’m very pleased to say that our trustees are happy with the direction of the strategic development plan which sets out the zoning and layout of the zoo over the next 20 years.

The plan is currently in the early stages of development but the idea is to create large areas in the zoo themed around our conservation projects to create a synergy between the work we do here and out in the field. The next stage for us to start work on is the Malayan tapir and sun bear in Islands and we'll be sure to let you know when the work starts.

6. Ag999

Ag999 Well-Known Member

Great to hear that the next phase of islands has got the go ahead. I'm attending the islands and beyond lecture on the 16th so hopefully they'll go into more detail about time frames etc.

7. BenZoo2110

BenZoo2110 Active Member

I visited the zoo on Sunday and as I was leaving I spotted a JCB/digger at one end of the car park does anyone know what is going on here, is this where HoA is going? Also is anyone attending the Islands and beyond talk next Thursday if so will you be posting anything about it on ZooChat as I am unable to attend

8. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't get too excited, they often park the JCB in that spot.

9. BenZoo2110

BenZoo2110 Active Member

oh ok thanks

10. Ag999

Ag999 Well-Known Member

I shall be attending, I'll try and take some pictures/notes for zoo chat, however England are playing Wales during the day so I might have a had a few jars by the time the talk begins :p

11. BenZoo2110

BenZoo2110 Active Member

That sounds great thanks will they be talking about the rest of the Natural Vision project as well

12. Ag999

Ag999 Well-Known Member

I hope so! They've said that it's mainly focused on analysing the successes of islands and the lessons they have learnt from the project. However they've also said they will outline the next stages of development and give some time frames as to when we can expect construction to begin :D

13. BenZoo2110

BenZoo2110 Active Member

Hope They will say something about HoA

14. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

That will never happen atleast not in the form that was planned originally,if it ever happens at all,which I very much doubt now!

15. zoogiraffe

Well lets just hope they also mention what they wouldn't do again,which I am guessing will include not having showers in the keepers area!!!

16. Ag999

Ag999 Well-Known Member

Indeed, didn't know they had showers in the keeper area?! Why is this?
    Have to agree about HoA, never going to happen in its original glory. In my opinion a scaled down version would be a dissapointment
    Does anyone have any idea what the long term plan is for the old condor aviary? Surely the stork are just a filler until something else is housed there?

17. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Imagine it's health and safety at work if they are working with animals that may have a contagious disease or if they are working with any strong chemicals etc. I suspect that would require shower facilities.

18. zoogiraffe

Well it wasn't planned that they had showers in the keeper areas.But lets just say looks like they have sorted it out,by how dry the soil was on my last visit to Monsoon Forest

19. BenZoo2110

BenZoo2110 Active Member

Does anyone know if there are plans to move animals like the Komodo Dragons to Islands

20. Max Blundell

Max Blundell Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After all the Islands Developments/ Phases, Do you think the Zoo Begin on New Areas of the Zoo With the Same Style As Islands?, So one Area Could be Africa with Africa Animals (AKA Hippos and Gorillas, Lions and Antelope) and Another Area Could have A Polar Biome with Polar/ Arctic Animals (AKA Polar Bears, Reindeer and Arctic Fox)

Also could to zoo be Expanded for More Areas or are there Houses Near the Zoo or is it just Countryside?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.