Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo At Night

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LeeMac13, 28 Apr 2009.

1. LeeMac13

LeeMac13 Well-Known Member

Has anybody even been to the zoo at night? what is it like? Also do some of the keepers work there overnight?

2. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

There was a competition running last summer (run with Ecko unlimited i think) that allowed the winner to go on a tour 'after hours'. It wouldn't be dark, because it was set in the evening and during the summer it is still reasonably light then.

3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I havn't been in there at night but have been there early in the morning.

And its fantastic, no annoying public :p

Keepers tend not to work over night unless there are health problems or baby animals on there way.

4. LeeMac13

how early in the morning? was that as keeper for the day?

i asked about the keepers as i wondered if anybody is there of a night incase of break ins, animal escapes etc

5. Pt123

Pt123 Well-Known Member

I have been in early too, fascinating, its like a different world with no guests, all waterfalls switched off and animals right up to the fences.

I know that some of the bird keepers who live nearby go into the zoo at night when they are handrearing.

6. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

I've seen security staff at about 10 minutes to closing time, so I guess they keep an eye on any break-ins etc

7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Yes Chester will have security staff just for this.

8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

It was just before 8 in the morning and its like a totally different place. Animals are so much more active and visable.

9. Maisie

Maisie Well-Known Member

When Chris did his Keeper for a Day, I was in the zoo at 10:00 on the dot when the gates opened, and was about the 5th person in. The keepers all smiled and said hello to me, and most of the animals were doing good impressions of the pandas in the Kit Kat advert and only just stopping short of singing and dancing. It was great! :D

10. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was in the zoo at night in October 1987 for Gerald Durrell's talk, which took place in a marquee on the Oakfield lawn. All I remember was how quiet it was.

I took a walk along Flag Lane last June about 6.30pm and saw the onagers grazing and the offshow Spotted Deer through a gap in the fence. They were quite active and had a fawn with them.

In 1976 my family holidayed at Flamingo Land and guests were allowed access to the zoo after closing time, unfortunately it's such a long time ago I don't remember what it was like apart from someone walking a hand-reared tiger on a lead.

11. Maisie

Maisie Well-Known Member

12. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

At Paignton you can join the Badger Watch during the Spring/Summer months. You go in while it's still light and wait in the hide till it's dark and the badgers appear. However, you can't see any other animals - they have to lock them all in their houses because local ...(struggling for the right word here)... youths try to get into the zoo at night. There are security people with dogs on duty.
    I've been in there early in the morning (7.30am I think) while on a course, and felt very privileged, although I didn't get to see all the animals as I was working on one section. A visitor-free zoo is to be recommended!

Last edited: 28 Apr 2009
  13. Woodbine

Woodbine Well-Known Member

Last Summer my children went to one of the Young Members evenings. When we went to collect them it was dark. We entered the zoo via the gate near to the Red Pandas and walked slowly towards the Ark Restaurant where we were to collect them. It was a totally different experience to a daytime visit. As others have said, so quiet- and so empty of people. The owls were much more active than usual (no surprise there!) and animal noises that you can't usually hear in the day were all around. The children had been taken by keepers to a selection of enclosures and had also loved seeing the animals in the quietness of evening as the sun set.

On our way back to the car we passed the lion enclosure. Asha and Asoka were very active, and very close to us. A keeper stopped and chatted to us about them, so there are obviously some on duty at night.

This short visit to the zoo at night was an unforgettable experience. I wish that they had some evenings where members could visit at night. I know that they have some evening events, but these always seem to involve buying a meal too, and so don't come cheaply for a family of four.
    Obviously the zoo needs to raise funds to cover what must be huge running costs, but surely an ocasional evening for members - without extra charges - wouldn't be too much to ask - even if it was restricted to a certain number of members at a time, or perhaps only to those who'd been members for a set minimum of time as a sort of bonus for their loyalty?

We'd love to have the chance to experience the zoo in the dark again.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2009
  14. LeeMac13

I think they should swap one of the members days for a members night

15. hann4444

hann4444 Member

I did some work exp at the zoo a couple of summers ago and was there early in the mornings. The best way I can describe it is very peaceful, walking through the zoo being able to be almost one and one with the animals (as much as is possible) and see them when there is no-one else around. Asoka was always very animated, often having a good roar on his platform!

16. elephant400

elephant400 Well-Known Member

i went to the zoo during the frost fair and i forgot to look at the time and it was 7.00 pm but there was lights on by nearly all of the main animals for a the security workers probably

17. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

I just booked tickets to a Sunset Safari at Edinburgh Zoo... i am VERY excited... is anyone else going? this thread made me curious about what it would be like after everyone else went home

18. hann4444

hann4444 Member

Is that sunset safari always running? Or a specific event? Have been to Edinburgh zoo before (in the day!) and it was a really great zoo, would defo go back again

19. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

Its an event that is being run on the 9th of July.. you get a tour of the zoo and also a BBQ.. lets hope its a good day!!..lol

20. hann4444

hann4444 Member

Sounds fab, are they still taking bookings?