Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Discussion, Speculation & Questions 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2019.

1. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I would if I could remember but I cannot remember the memory isn't what it used to be these days,and I only have one person to blame for that ME!!

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have my own system of counting and it is my ambition to teach it to you all :p

3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I have to write what I have done down in work or I forget...infact I would struggle to tell you what I did today in work.

4. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

is there now projects plans in pdf on the African savannah ?

5. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

Lol I take Ginkgo Biloba and do NY Times crosswords and sodukus to fight against dementia. I each a day. It doesn't seem to be making my memory better, but who knows how much worse it could be without the remedies!o_O

6. bongorob

leone likes this.
  7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Mines down to being pestered left right and centre and trying to deliver 3/4 projects, or thats what I complain about when asked why I haven't done something ;)

8. AmbikaFan

You are so lucky! Here in the US, we've seen only 9 episodes--and a strange assortment at that. There have been about three episodes from each of the first three seasons. This includes Kidepo's birth, Narus's birth, and Kidepo leaving the zoo! Does anyone from the US know if there's a way to unlock more episodes by paying? I'm so jealous of all of you who can see this wonderful show AND actually go see the zoo in person!

9. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

I can't find the article now, but I read somewhere that the reason Chester were building a new lion enclosure, was due to some "behavioural issues" with the lions. Any ideas, as to what they are referring to? ( I am nosey. Clearly.)

10. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe they don't do well with noise and with development planned around there current enclosure, they wanted to move them first.

11. BenZoo2110

BenZoo2110 Active Member

Have the zoo announced an opening date for the new Lion enclosure yet?

12. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I believe it's because the zoo receives more complaints about the lion enclosure than any other, and the trustees are concerned about the negative PR impact that may have. This is why the new lion enclosure is being hurried along.

13. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Which I never understood the complaints. The only comlaint I feel is justifable is the indoor housing.

gentle lemur likes this.
  14. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

They did make a point of the fact they have never successfully bred (the lions I mean) on the tv show - so possibly that is a factor.

15. AmbikaFan

I'm just getting up.on all things Chester Zoo, so please forgive me if I have this wrong:. Your tragic Monsoon building fire brought many people together to donate funds for rebuilding. The number got to be a very significant sum before the zoo reassured everyone that they had full insurance covering everything. With no expenses in rebuilding, isn't the zoo sitting on a pretty pile of money from the fundraising efforts? Money that was technically not needed and was thereby a huge "windfall" of sorts? It seems somewhat unappreciative and disingenuous for the zoo to look directly at its public with a hand held out for more money, while there's a big bag of it just out of sight in the other hand.

16. bongorob

AmbikaFan the surplus money ws donated to conservation projects.

17. AmbikaFan

Oh! As in "in situ" conservation programs? That's very admirable.

18. taun

taun Well-Known Member

At one stage the cubs Chester Zoo produced accounted for around 10% (I might be getting that figure wrong but the original pair did produce a number of litters over the years) of the Asiatic lion population...the lack of clubs is probably more down to the actually lions they have then external factors.

19. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Yep, full details here: Orangutans boosted by funds donated during the Chester Zoo fire | Chester Zoo

The funds raised were used to help fund mainly in situ conservation projects for South East Asian species (as it was a South East Asian exhibit affected) - the projects were for orang utan, Bleeding Toad, Barusan Shama and Nepenthes pitcher plants.

20. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I agree - maybe they just don't enjoy dance music.