Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo magazine 1937 to 1982

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by bongorob, 19 Jun 2007.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The education department at Chester Zoo have just released a cd rom containing all the issues of the zoo magazine from 1937-1982 in pdf format.

It can be obtained in person from the zoo library (10am to 5pm) or by post from

Clare Caws
    Chester Zoo Library
    Chester
    CH2 1LH

The cost is £4.99, either from the zoo or by post, cheques should be made payable to Chester Zoo.

2. orang09

orang09 Well-Known Member

hi

i am new to this but u seem to know a lot about chester zoo - orangutans - do you know how many orangutans they have got at the moment and there names and what happend to orangutans pundu and matu ?

3. bongorob

At the moment there are 3.3 Sumatran and 1.3 Bornean. I don't know much about the orangs, but I'm sure other members who do will post. If not I'll find out when I have the time.

The male Bornean has just arrived from Antwerp and has not yet been mixed with the females. Now that the new exhibit is finished, I expect they'll breed orangs again.

I think you ought to have put this in the Rajang thread, it seems to be here by mistake.

4. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if this CD-ROM of the Zoo Magazines is still available?

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Was last i heard so i suggest you contact the zoo they will be able to tell, you one way or another.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2009
  6. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Cheers! I have e-mailed them but from past e-mailings, I rarely find that they reply - may do this time as it involves a payment though!! :) If not, I will ring them!

7. zoogiraffe

You must be un-lucky as i`ve found Chester to be one of the better collections at responding to e-mails when i`ve had a question sometimes its taken a week or so for the response but i did come.

8. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Unlucky is my middle name!! :) I did eventually get a reply re Tejas when I asked what had happened, but they said they don't normally answer such emails! I have sent one about 3 weeks ago asking which archived Zoo Guides Rajang the orangutan appeared in but never got a reply. I realise now it needed to be directed to the Library (didn't know they had one at the time). Perhaps this one re the cd-rom will be third time lucky!! LOL.

9. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Just to confirm that the cd-rom of all Chester Zoo News magazines is still available at £4.99 if anyone wanted a copy.

10. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info I have meaning to find out for ages :)

Is it still the same contact name etc?

11. bongorob

I don't know if it is the same librarian but the zoo library phone number is 01244 389453.

12. zoogiraffe

No they have a new Librian as they old one has left,but sorry cannot remember her name inspite of having met her 3 or 4 times.

13. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

I e-mailed to check and was told to send a cheque for £4.99 to the Library or for the attention of Gill Kelsall to the normal address (I did the latter). At least I can fish out the Rajang stuff now!!!

14. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Just to let you know I got the DVD, lots of info to sift through. The only problem is the scans have been done on a poor setting so the photos are not clear enough to print. I was wanting to find all the info re Rajang and piece it together but it's a shame re the photos so will still have to try and get the original magazines if they become available.