Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo New Lion Enclosure/Extension

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jde7582, 26 Mar 2018.

1. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We all know that's a fake artist impression there's to many gaps in it.

North Entrance likes this.
  2. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I sincerely hope its not going to be a mixed exhibit. I can't understand why any zoo would attempt such a thing with predator and prey species!

3. OurZooFan

OurZooFan Member

The zoo’s first enclosure opened in 1937. Half the zoo’s council resigned when founder George Mottershead insisted placing the lions behind chain link fencing instead of bars! It is great that George Mottershead had the vision to buy up land around the zoo whenever he could with the idea that it would enable the zoo to continue to expand, grow and develop in the future into his dream of a zoo without bars where animals could be kept in enclosures mimicking their own natural habitat. It was therefore worrying when after his death this land started to be sold off. Glad the zoo today is following his vision and using the land for what it was intentioned as well as focusing on the vital role of protecting species that are critically endangered in the wild. Me You and the Zoo - Memory

StoppableSan, Jambo and 14556 like this.
  4. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How much land was sold off? And where was it located? My recollection was that it was land which would never have been incorporated within the main zoo.

5. OurZooFan

OurZooFan Member

I don't know exactly how much land was sold off in the early eighties but do know George Mottershead's daughter June Mottershead at the time objected on the basis that this land had been bought to allow for future expansion as well as to provide a buffer around the zoo. 'Green End' the large white detached house to the west of the car park where George Mottershead had his office and is close to the lecture theatre was sold as well as I think some farmland and buildings. If George Mottershead had not had the foresight and vision to prioritise buying up land around the zoo as it became available, the zoo today would not have been able to grow and develop in the way it has.

6. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo faced something of a financial (and governance) crisis in the early/mid 1980s. In that context sale of properties and land not directly related to the animal collection would seem to have been an appropriate response, removing a maintenance liability and creating funds for much-needed improvements to animal buildings (many of which were in poor condition and lacked basic facilities).

jde7582 likes this.
  7. OurZooFan

OurZooFan Member

So glad Chester Zoo appears to be doing so well today and is continuing with the ‘always building’ philosophy of its founder George Mottershead developing innovative new habitats for the animals. In the 1980s, I feel people began to question the purpose of zoo’s as we learnt more about and could see animals in the wild on TV. However, sadly over the past few decades many species like Asiatic lion populations have plummeted due to habitat loss and hunting and are facing extinction in the wild. Zoo’s like Chester are now playing an increasingly vital role in the conservation of species and I’m excited to hear about the new lion enclosure plans as well as hoping to hear the patter of tiny lion cub paws at the zoo in the future.
    Chester Zoo hopes new lion enclosure will be roaring success

8. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

More chance of Monsoon been reopened this year than the Lions breeding at Chester!!

Fallax, pipaluk, JoeDK14 and 2 others like this.
  9. OurZooFan

OurZooFan Member

Dare I ask why?

10. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The intended breeding pair (Iblis and Kumari) have now been together for over seven years and are both over ten years old, but are yet to breed, despite frequently being observed mating. It's difficult to avoid the feeling that, if they've not bred by now, they never will (although stranger things have of course happened).

11. OurZooFan

OurZooFan Member

As there are so few remaining in the wild, it would be fantastic if they did. Here’s hoping...Is there any chance of the zoo identifying the problem?

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They have identified the problem. They tried a solution. It wasn't successful. The studbook doesn't consider them (Iblis or Kumari) a priority for breeding at present (they're distantly related, 10 years+ old and both have siblings breeding on the continent) so won't make any further recommendations (ie: transfers). If that changes then Chester will be informed.