Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2020.

1. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I think the changes made to the Fountain Lawns did that, before the huge playground it went from a focal point where people picnicked and had their photographs taken to an expanse of nothing.
    The issue may be the noise of that big playground. Personally, if they're going to do Madagascar I'd have liked to have seen one large area encompassing the dead zone behind Dragons in Danger, the Fountain Lawns and the old lion enclosure. A big area full of interesting animals, not just play areas and sweet shops.
    The new staff canteen has been open for well over a year now (can't recall exactly when I first went in), it's behind June's Pavilion to the left of the Grow Zone. It's quite smart, although it tends to leak when it rains. The area above The Fountain Shop has been the Blast! office since the canteen moved.

pipaluk and gentle lemur like this.
  2. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good to know that the people playing 'fantasy zoo' are still filling their time, despite all capital projects being on hold and Grasslands delayed until at least 2022.[/QUOTE]

Is the delay to the completion date or the start date?

3. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Start date.

4. jde7582

Thanks, seems strange to delay it for 2 years, funding must have been in place and the hotel element would have brought in alot of additional income.

5. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Not strange at all I don't think, sensible in fact. Remember that as a charity there's a limit to how much surplus cash the zoo can hold. More importantly, the zoo has been closed for just over seven weeks now, which is a loss of earnings of approximately £3,588,000 (based on 2018 numbers) with the running expenses on top of that. That alone will take time to recoup, and who knows how much longer the closure will continue, it's already about a week longer than in 2001.

There are also a lot of other capital projects that need to be completed; the new flamingo aviary, the stable block, the money pit that is the off-show zoo and so on... I don't think there is any other sensible option other than to put a hold on the Grasslands project. It's not as though the zoo needs it.

nczoofan, jde7582 and pipaluk like this.
  6. jde7582

Yes all very true, thanks for the response, I forgot about the cash reserves for charities. And all the other projects the zoo currently has on going, also guess when the zoo will want to maxamise revenue over the coming month, year, digging up and closing half the zoo won't help.

7. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

If only that part was getting built,all we are getting is a Giraffe Paddock and a Bird Aviary and a huge Cafe.

Kifaru Bwana and jde7582 like this.
  8. jde7582

If our plan is anything like the Irish plan, I think the zoo may be inline to open before the end of may, but with houses and restaurants shut and people asked to keep apart (social distancing) not sure how feasible that would actually be though. Maybe a one system could be devised around the zoo, with certain paths and bottle necks closed off from the public, i.e the lions

9. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Council approval not needed for Chester Zoo demolition plans

"Cheshire West and Chester Council says it does not need to provide prior approval for Chester Zoo to demolish a decades old cafe and shop. Responding to the application, Cheshire West and Chester Council states: "The council, acting in its capacity as the local planning authority, write to inform you that prior approval of the proposed demolition is not required.""

Given that the zoo originally planed to demolish the Fountain Shop in September, that'll probably be postponed too (hopefully).

10. jde7582

Although part of the zoo's history and I have memories from being a child going to the shop and the fountains lawn, times do change and buildings are removed to make way for the new. The building just isn't in keeping with the rest of the zoo, probably costs more to heat and maintain and isn't of architectural significance.

Shirokuma likes this.
  11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree. It's a redundant building of no great beauty in an area that is being redeveloped. I understand the point about memories, but Chester's progress has always been based on building and rebuilding. Oakfield House and the Stables, as listed buildings, had to be treated differently - but every other building in the zoo will be demolished sooner or later, including the ones that are only in the planning stage now.

Brum, SHAVINGTONZOO, Fallax and 3 others like this.
  12. North Entrance

North Entrance Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

There are lots of postcards of the Fountain Restaurant, from its time as a cafe, milk bar and shop. You'll note this one dates from before the Otter Fountain was added.

14. jde7582

The zoo is starting to share details how it will open, will be a booking system, to restrict number of people on site. Members will have to use the system aswell, or you won't be allowed in. Haven't given a date yet, bet they would love to open for next week

15. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

17. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

That's the zoo font, it cost a small fortune to create. It's actually softened and become a little easier to read since its introduction.

18. North Entrance

North Entrance Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has anyone got a photo of the Milk Bar or the coronation hall? Remember buying lime flavoured milk there as a kid in the 70’s. I guess they were probably awful buildings so photos probably don’t exist?

19. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

That sounds so wrong and yet so deliciously right.

StoppableSan likes this.
  20. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Yes. The Coronation Hall, complete with serving hatch and mounted trophy heads around the walls. Not sure that'd be something you'd see these days.