Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2020.

1. Jennings

Jennings Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Have the Bush Dogs left, or have they been moved off-show?

2. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are in Spirit of the Jaguar now in the left side outdoor enclosure. I'm unsure if they have the indoor part too since last time I went inside there (February) there was a giant anteater.

Jennings likes this.
  3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see the female sun bears in with the male today … looks like they all have access to either outdoor space.

4. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited Chester the other day and had a different experience than normal.

Took my Nephew with me for a change and day out for him so it was Mammals all the way hardly any bird time for me.

We were in well before 10am and decided to head straight for the Black Rhinoceros only to be greeted by an adult and youngster feeding on the straw laid out by the staff Just past the Wattled Crane exhibit on the left as you walk down the path.

A great exhibit with open grassed area and plenty of viewing areas for the public.

Next we went to the African Hunting Dogs via the Rock Hyrax exhibits don’t ask me why but I love the Rock Hyrax, These are great little exhibits for the little creatures with the rock covering the back of the exhibit and the clear area to the front.

The African Dogs where inside except for a single dog wondering around outside, where there were remains of an earlier feed on the ground.

We came across the Aardvark fast asleep in the indoor exhibit I am yet to see these outside this could be because I only ever visit them early in the day.

Next we came across the Sitatunga Antelope a species I do like to see in collections the Male was under the tree’s at the back of the exhibit as staff were clearing out indoor area of the exhibit and females were all lined along the fence line as the male.

Now for one of my favourite species in the collection the Eastern Bongo, had some great views of the Male right beside were we stood on the entry path towards Islands project.

The male looks a lot bigger close up than from the normal long distance views I usually get solid and full of strength the way it looked at you made you realise these could be very dangerous animals indeed.

The female and I presume youngster were a distance from the male down by the indoor area of the exhibit but still managed to get great views.

Next along we came to one of Nephews favourite species the Prevost’s Squirrel on the right as you walk into the Islands area these I find I take or leave but the exhibits are really well filled out and you are able to get great views of the Squirrels.

The way they move around the exhibit gives you a feeling that this is how they move around in the wild with fast movements then a standing still moment and then they will move away slowly.

Then we came to the exhibit with the Squirrels in and the Belanger’s tree shrew in. the shrew was in its usual position on top of the wooded fronted indoor area.

It kept moving out of site then re-appearing a little further along but never came off the top unfortunately.

We then moved around to the Visayan Warty Pig exhibit This I find to be a great exhibit with the Pigs able to search for the food and dig with there noses for insects I presume.

Many piglets around today only saw one adult but they were all very mobile and giving the public great views.

Next came one of the few bird species I saw today Southern Cassowary both birds were out in the enclosure, this enclosure looks a little cluttered with so many shrubs and undergrowth around but still managed to get great views so my nephew could see them for the first time and he was very impressed with the birds.

Then on to the Javan Banteng exhibit they were out and close to the viewing area there appeared to be 2 youngish calves with the 4 adults (1 male & 3 females) the male and one female were feeding from the straw on the wall.

This as to be regarded as a great exhibit for the species I am not one for unnecessary pools in display’s but I think the pool is much needed and looks great .

On to the Goodfellow’s tree kangaroo exhibit again they were inside up the corner on the top branch to the right ass you look in, A nice looking indoor area with many climbing branches and free space on the floor.

In the outdoor area we had Dusky Pademelon a adult and a youngster both close to the viewing wall giving again great views.

Neither seemed to be bothered with visitors looking over them and totally ignored noise made by a few youngsters arriving from just inside the tunnel.

Then we walked towards the Tiger exhibit as we turned the corner towards the viewing area my nephew asked me what’s that up there I couldn’t believe it the Malayan Tapir were out and about (first for me usually inside the indoor area) told him they aren’t usually out so we stopped and watched them for around 5 minutes until the disappeared back inside.

The tigers were out and about in what I would say is the best Tiger exhibit in the UK one was wandering around and disappeared over the top on towards the viewing areas in the tunnel. The other just lay on top of the grassed rock area watching us watching them.

Onto the Sun Bears next both were out and about well one was a bout the other a sleep on the tree just in front of the viewing window and the other out in the outdoor exhibit to the left of the viewing windows.

Now on to the long walk to the next main exhibit but on the way round did see the Malayan Tapirs in the outdoor again and the monsoon forest building is looking great again with work well and truly back on.

Still no Silvery gibbon’s in the outdoor area at the moment or the hornbill’s in there’s but at least you can now see an end to all the hard work that as gone on in getting the forest building back up and running.

Next came the Northern Babirusa one of four exhibits around the zoo and in my opinion this is the best of the lot looking in to the exhibit I finally got to see 2 Babirusa wandering around they were just on the top of the small bank that runs to the right of the viewing area disappearing every now and then down it.

My nephew then decided he wanted to see the Grevy’s Zebra a species I think is overlooked by many zoo visitor as we stood there viewing the animals many pasted by not even bothering to look at them.

Shame as I think they are wonderful looking creatures and have a great personality in groups of this size.

We then moved onto the walk over bridge from the Fruit Bat walkway over to the picnic area that was once the lion enclosure.

On way over we saw Northern Babirusa in 2 separate enclosures the first one was on the way over the bridge next to the Philippine spotted deer (no show today) a single one walking around and the second enclosure was half way over the bridge on the right hand side with signage on the fence claiming that they were there but didn’t see any.

We saw 3 Capybara right against the back hedge row all seemed to be very happy just to lie there every now and then looking towards were the visitors were standing this enclosure had one of those silly plastic/concrete anthill things in the middle of the grass for the Anteater which has moved.

Spectacled bear was a no show today but we will be back shortly to have another go at seeing this species as on our next trip we intend to see all the species we didn’t see today.

Owl aviaries now only a few species left in the aviaries with many being a little over-crowded with shrub growth but still they did have a Spectacled owl, Brown wood owl, Ural owl & a Scops owl

Not my cup of tea but we did stop to see the Chimpanzee in the outdoor area I must admit I did enjoy watching them and found the exhibit to be full with growth and open areas for the Chimps, the ones outside were very mobile with just 2 sitting out in the open today.

Okapi on our first visit to this enclosure we only saw one animal outside and no Red forest duiker in view but on our way back from the Congo Buffalo we did see 2 Okapi but still no RFD

Now on to the Red river hogs a fascinating species in a great enclosure they were out today foraging for food and the younger ones running off down towards the Tropical House with there food (branches) and hiding the best way they could behind the rocks in the corner.

The adult one didn’t seem to bother with the younger ones and thier games the adult just went about eating and nothing else.

Congo buffalo came out from the house while we were there and the size of these guys makes me wonder why they haven’t got more of them as to make a great herd this would be a very impressive exhibit with a few more in the herd.

Blue throated macaw came across this aviary be chance and saw the macaw right away then something run across the front of the window and there they were a lifer for me Elegant crested tinamou never seem before and quite surprised did think they would have been bigger then what they were. 3 Birds in total today were in the exhibit but a great addition to the collection

Many people were queueing to go in to the Jaguar house but unless you really wanted to queue up to see the Anteater or the Bush doge then why not just go to the viewing wall over to the right hand side of the building we did and got great views of the Jaguars both were out.

Both were down by the bushes to the right side of the exhibit over by the bark on the ground calling at each other on a few occasions giving away thier location to new viewers.

Another first for me at the collection the Fossa was out and about moving around by the second viewing window.

Walking in front of the window then moving away still in view then walking to the left disappearing for a few seconds only to re-appear by the window a few seconds later this went on for around 5 minutes before it disappeared towards the back of the exhibit.

We then made our way towards the European black vulture aviary today not much moving around in the aviary but there was still plenty to look at and watch among the birds in the aviary were Waldrapp, Black stork & European black vulture.

Persian onger and Bactrain Camel these are always great to see and very understated by many they seem to get on with each other but very rarely seem to be together but the enclosure is plenty big enough to cater for both.

Great one horned rhinoceros were at the feeding area just from the path opposite the elephant enclosure one adult and one young were feeding but no Burmese Brow antler deer around today.

Asian elephant were a great attraction again today with All but the male out in the exhibit some feeding some bathing and one young just playing around which gave the children some fun watching what it was doing.

No Shows -

Red Panda (probably hiding in the tree’s)
    Binturong
    Spectacled bear
    Cheetah
    Philippine spotted deer
    Roan antelope
    Rothchild giraffe (probably in the closed house)
    Lowland anoa (again probably in the inside area closed to the public)

Areas that remain closed were-

Tsavo bird walk thru
    small monkey walk round
    Fruit bat walk thru
    some of the smaller eating kiosk's
    islands - both bird walk thru's
    Dragons in danger house
    Giraffe indoor area and the Okapi house
    Congo Buffalo stable
    Monkey House
    Some paths still remain closed as well
    The area just past the old bush dog enclosure is now completely boarded off
    Elephant house still closed
    there maybe other areas but didn't see them but this doesn't mean they are not closed
    Many thanks for reading

Jambo, PAT, qthemusic and 7 others like this.
  5. AdrianW1963

Quick question here does anyone know what happened to the Grey Winged Blackbirds please?

6. Fallax

Are they not still in the aviaries across from the chimps?

7. AdrianW1963

On our last visit they were no longer signed up for any of the aviaries by the Realm of the Red Ape

8. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

9. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jambo, Benosaurus, Antoine and 3 others like this.
  10. AdrianW1963

MEMBERS tickets now on for AUGUST got mine for the 18th will be doing a bird review for this one.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  11. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

12. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

PAT, Brum, Nisha and 15 others like this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This year is getting stranger and stranger.

14. Fallax

Not what I was expecting to hear today, aaaaand that is definitely the least I can say about this.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  15. Gavialis

Gavialis Well-Known Member

Had a lovely time at Chester over the past two days. Still didn't get round the whole zoo (!), but a few bits and bobs from what I did see:
    • Monkey House, Parrot House, Dragons in Danger and the lemur walk-through have all reopened. I didn’t go into the giraffe/okapi or butterfly houses, but am pretty sure that both are now open as well. Elephant, black rhino, buffalo and bat houses are still all closed, as are the indoor giant otter and wetland bird viewing areas.
    • I think all the outdoor walk-through aviaries are still closed but those who would like the challenge of searching for the green magpies can still do so - they were signed in one of the aviaries in Dragons in Danger, but eluded me (not through lack of trying!)
    • Warthog enclosure by the entrance now occupied by a black rhinoceros. No word on where the warthogs have moved.
    • Can confirm that the bush-dogs also have the indoor ‘desert’ enclosure in SotJ - I think anteaters were signed (but definitely not seen!) in their old house opposite the spectacled bears. Fake termite mounds have been built in the outdoor (capybara) paddock.
    • Office staff have been ‘called up’ to patrol the zoo and there were even one or two members of management on the ‘shop front’ who were more than happy to chat to the public - and credit to all of them for doing so!
    Should add that, as ever, I was blown away by Chester. The gift shop is rather lacking in serious material and some of the newer exhibits lack the traditional ‘countryside' feel, but there is still lots that other British zoos - especially two slightly closer to home! - should take note from.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2020
    Jambo, StoppableSan, pipaluk and 5 others like this.
  16. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The warthog have been moved off show this was done before Christmas last year, in preparation for work on grasslands happening. Which as we all know is going to be rather late in its opening now, and I suspect very different from what was planned

Kifaru Bwana, jde7582 and Gavialis like this.
  17. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jambo, Benosaurus, TNT and 9 others like this.
  18. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

visited today, very pleasant although more one way systems have been introduced

heard that a very young red panda was seen being carried from one den to another by mum

and also saw a six week old Bornean orangutan.

No sign of the bear cubs, but expect them to be given access to the front area in a few weeks

19. AdrianW1963

Will be visiting again shortly and will be trying to do all possible Bird Exhibits will try and do the same as before with a species by exhibit for the birds

20. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’ve heard that the older set of red panda babies are now moved into where the Moloch gibbons were in RoTRA. Can anyone confirm as would seem a huge space for 2 juvenile pandas