Join our zoo community

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Cheyenne Mountain Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 25 Feb 2009.

1. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That is a great exhibit and from what I have seen the barn will be great as well. It definitely can hold a nice amount of hippo, unlike certain new puny exhibits. It also has a great land to water ratio unlike many zoos which are skewed towards the later.

2. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There will be space in the barn to hold up to 5 hippos. Having multiple outdoor spaces is also pretty unique. The idea for the land space is for it to be grassy so hippos probably won’t be outside until grass can establish itself. It’s coming together quickly which is exciting for everyone.

3. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. Echobeast

A few updates:

Construction update for Water’s Edge. In the video you see the indoor penguin and hippo areas better.

Two year-old reticulated giraffe, Rae is moving to Lincoln Park Zoo next month. Article5-August2019 | CMZoo

The baby Hoffman’s two-toed sloth has been named Bean. Security Check

The orphan mountain lion cubs also have named now. The females have been named Sequoia and Adira and the male has been named Sitka. Security Check

Kifaru Bwana and pachyderm pro like this.
  5. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good to learn both populations in the wild are in recovery.

Any chance of a female companion for the lone male black rhino Jumbe?

7. Echobeast

There is no recommendation from the SSP to breed Jumbe. His parents were pretty prolific and his brother Phineas already has a breeding rec at Potter Park Zoo. While the Encounter Africa exhibit potentially could hold a female rhino, it is more of a holding facility at this point.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  8. Echobeast

The zoo had a giraffe swap recently. 2 year-old Panya came from Memphis and 2 year-old Rae went to Lincoln Park.

Article2-Sept2019 | CMZoo

Amur tiger Thimbu who recently came from Denver will go to Bramble Park Zoo in a tiger switch.

Article1-Sept2019 | CMZoo

Switching with Thimbu is female Savelii coming from Bramble Park coming on a breeding recommendation with the Zoo’s other male Chewbacca. Also some details about the Zoo’s Amur leopard pair.

Article3-Sept2019 | CMZoo

Last edited: 27 Sep 2019
    StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. Echobeast

10. Echobeast

11. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. Echobeast

13. Echobeast

New watering hole came out

Female Amur tiger Savelii is now in quarantine after arriving from Bramble Park Zoo. Male tiger Thimbu is now going to Rosamond Gifford Zoo now and will leave soon. The change probably happened due to the issues Bramble Park is having with the AZA and finances.

Article1-Nov2019 | CMZoo

Four CMZ staff are leaving soon for Ecuador to collect medical samples and radio collar mountain tapirs. the trip was funded by members

Article4-Nov2019 | CMZoo

CMZ recently finished helping move more giraffes in Uganda.

http://www.cmzoo.org/index.php/about-the-zoo/press-box/waterhole/article3-nov2019/

No more updates about Water’s Edge.

Kifaru Bwana and AmbikaFan like this.
  14. Echobeast

New watering hole came out

Female Amur tiger Savelii is now in quarantine after arriving from Bramble Park Zoo. Male tiger Thimbu is now going to Rosamond Gifford Zoo now and will leave soon. The change probably happened due to the issues Bramble Park is having with the AZA and finances.

Article1-Nov2019 | CMZoo

Four CMZ staff are leaving soon for Ecuador to collect medical samples and radio collar mountain tapirs. the trip was funded by members

Article4-Nov2019 | CMZoo

CMZ recently finished helping move more giraffes in Uganda.

Article3-Nov2019 | CMZoo

No more updates about Water’s Edge.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Echobeast

Been away for a while but I am back. Here is an update video the zoo made about Water's Edge. Animals are hopefully going to be on exhibit by Spring.

Roxie, 43-year-old gorilla is receiving long term hospice care.

Roxie, 43-year-old Western Lowland Gorilla, Receives Long-term Hospice Care - CMZoo
    (this link also goes to the zoo's new website)

Mashama, 9-year-old giraffe is getting stem cell therapy

Mashama's Stem Cell Therapy

CMZ staff successfully track and study five wild mountain tapir in Ecuador

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

16. Echobeast

17. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

nczoofan likes this.
  18. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

20 years ago when I was still breeding dogs, our 7-year-old male, Pogo, had a femoral head osteotomy (FHO) after he suffered a broken hip. It was apparent from the start that something was wrong with the suture line. Even with multiple antibiotics, the infection worsened. Since Pogo had been diagnosed with multiple allergies at 2 and I had given him two years of allergy desensitization shots, I was pretty quick to suspect a suture allergy. This was so rare, however, that the vets thought it unlikely. As the wound worsened and the whole leg was warm and swollen, drains were placed. Finally, when nothing was helping, I insisted they go in and at least look at and maybe replace the sutures under the skin. I was in the OR and will never forget how "angry" the area looked (extremely red and swollen) making the suture line seem like it was bursting, all in addition to copious amounts of pus. My vet replaced the original Vicryl sutures with a different kind and flushed the whole area. Within a week, the leg looked totally normal for a post-op FHO.

I wanted to describe this, because there are many who simply don't believe that animals could have an allergy to what are considered non-allergic materials. Several vets doing surgery on my dogs over the last 20 years haven't believed suture allergy could have been the cause. That particular brand, Vicryl, was also "ribbed" with tiny barbs to help it grip the tissue, which served to literally cut into the flesh as it swelled up around the sutures. At every surgery since, about 25 (at least half C-sections and with several new and highly specialized surgeons), there is still general disbelief that animals can be allergic to suture material.

Only in the last three years, has a surgeon acknowledged that Vicryl was known for its allergic reactions and reports that no one uses it any more. I've had no problems since, but then, I also demand that Vicryl not be used. I don't think this is taken nearly seriously enough. I'm sure there was similar disbelief for a long time that people could be allergic to latex. That was finally taken seriously because it affected humans, who could describe what they felt. But vet sutures are far more dangerous; they're inside the body where their symptoms can be neither seen or described until it's so bad as to be potentially fatal. SUTURE ALLERGY IS VERY REAL.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2020
  19. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

I feel badly for CMZ. To design an incredible facility like this and find the money to make it special for both animals and visitors, and then to discover a crack in the pool due to something as seemingly minor as untamped soil below, is so unfortunate. In those months of no updates, I suppose there was a lot of uncertainty over whether this was contractor negligence and how the zoo could possibly afford such extensive repairs. The Zoo obviously can't be at fault, but the tendency of unpacked soil to loosen and fall is a much better example of "inherent vice" than even the movie of the same name gives us. Hopefully, this was covered by somebody's insurance and everything is back to being as positive as Chastain seems.

StoppableSan likes this.
  20. Echobeast

Kifaru Bwana and Coelacanth18 like this.