Join our zoo community

Chimelong Ocean Kingdom Chimelong Killer Whale Holding Facility was set up

Discussion in 'China' started by Deer Forest, 25 Feb 2017.

1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, ok, that might be true. But what is the ethical underpinning there other than 'we want them in zoos'?

It's not a loaded question - I'm not going to backbite in response to your answer. But it's a live question I think.

orcalover83 likes this.
  2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well the only answer I can give is that the zoos who brought them in want them. I support small scale imports to boost genetic diversity and it helps if a species (aardvarks for example) have had poor breeding results in the past or if there's been a skew of births to one sex and an import can compensate.
    And I personally like to see diversity presented well and don't object too much to these captures as the wild isn't always the greatest place to live.

orcalover83 likes this.
  3. Danielle@@@

Danielle@@@ New Member

How awful

4. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do any of you know if orcas form bachelor groups like elephants or lions do? Cause if that's the case I'd rather see zoos/aquariums go more in that direction

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Why?

6. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's already been said. There's very few facilities that can hold orcas, so why are they still getting bred? A bachelor group, assuming its natural, would obviously stop breeding and orcas would be able to be showcased without being forced to reproduce, and thus, hopefully less controversy

I hope that all made sense, it's 1 in the morning where I'm at, if it doesn't I'll try again tomorrow:p

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Where would the male Orca be coming from then, to "showcase" them without breeding? Continuous wild captures of male-only? Pretty sure that would result in more "controversy" than currently. What about the females that are currently in captivity - bachelorette groups until they die?

8. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Let's look at this another way. Orcas now do so well in captivity that they breed relatively well. With the right management, captive populations could be self-sustaining. Single sex groups could be a part of studbook management, as they are with gorillas and starting to be with elephants. Such groups could even be useful for developing social skills in young males destined for breeding in the future. Works with the other species I mentioned.
    Just a question for the self-styled animal experts out there: how do you 'force' a bloody great whale to breed?

9. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Orcas do not Form bachelor group in the wild. Both male and females stay in their Natalie group for life. And there is no needle for bachelor groups anyway because breeding results are very poor.

orcalover83 likes this.
  10. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

With all respect, but: This can't be true. If BOTH genders would stay their entire life in the pods they were born, this would result in extreme inbreeding (And leading to the question how this pods could even have formed).
    Also: The reason why breeding results are very poor (if this is the truth either) is just simply because there were (and specially are) not as many breeding facilities and specimens as - let's say - for apes, big cats etc.

orcalover83 likes this.
  11. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You should check out the reseach about the resident (fish-eating) orcas in British Columbia and you'll see that it is true. Most breeding happens when bonded families meet, not necessarily within one family.

But I need to correct myself: in the case of transient (mammal-eating) orcas, the younger offspring sometimes do leave their natal groups, but many stay.

orcalover83 likes this.
  12. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, after correction no more objection;)