Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Chimpanzee Troop

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chimo, 28 Jul 2013.

1. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, Shabani hasn't tried to be alpha of the old group... nor Shikamoo... they both seem content to allow Furahi to have the job, and they still get to mate the females, so they are happy enough... lol! No pressure to perform or sort things out... smart boys methinks!

I'm of the opinion that Kuma sees herself as top female regardless of who is alpha... her dogged manoeuvering when Fumo was born has definitely allowed her to move up the rankings significantly... she's a determined one is Kuma!

If there is a fight between Furahi and Lubutu for alpha position, Kuma will join Furahi in any physical fight... and I don't like Lubutu's chances if that happens. Hopefully when they reintroduce Furahi and Lubutu, they will not bring Kuma (and Fumo) into the group at the same time... that would be asking for serious problems they really don't need. I'd bring Furahi into the new group solo to try to offset any bid for alpha position from him.

I've never seen Shiba physically fight for anything - she will scream and posture if one of her offspring is threatened, but I think she depends on her boys taking up any fight she may have with others. Shiba seems to be more inclined to a diplomatic/peaceful solution to any problem she encounters.

As Lisa is alone with Liwali in the old group, one would think that she'd have lost some ground in the top female stakes, but as far as I can tell all the females in the group are holding their positions amicably. Shiba has Shabani and Sudi, Sasha has Shikamoo and Sule, and Kuma has Furahi and Fumo... only Lisa is left with only her infant offspring Liwali. Resources and good sunning spots are being shared just fine though.

I still can't see a complete transition to a group of all 22 chimps... too many chances for things to go terribly wrong along the way IMHO... I do hope they prove me wrong though...

T.

Tafin likes this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's interesting how Lubutu and Furahi are the smallest males in the community, yet both have risen to the status of alpha when given the chance. Clearly shows how ambition and political manoeuvring/popularity are more important than size and brute force. In my opinion, Shikamoo lacks the ambition/aggression to make a play for alpha and Shabani the popularity.

Furahi will be an interesting case. In some ways, I think facing Lubutu and his right hand man, Samaki, alone would be unfair on him, but I'd hate for Fumo to get injured in what will be an explosive fight if Kuma is introduced along with Furahi. I think taking Samaki and Kuma out the scenario when Lubutu and Furahi are reintroduced is the fairest and safest way to go.

Back when the alternative was having Shabani as the alpha, keepers were keen for Lubutu to maintain his position, but Furahi wouldn't be highly unsuitable as an alpha would he?

Sounds like the females are all getting on well. Perhaps with three new females over the fence, they're putting aside their differences to fight off bigger foe. Have you seen any of the Taronga females support females that are not in their family against the new females (eg. Lisa and Shiba)?

Tafin likes this.
  3. Zoofan15

Just checking if anyone has been able to get access to this article? I think tdierikx mentioned you might have access to it through your uni library?

Tafin likes this.
  4. Zoofan15

Chimpanzee Name Meanings:

Samaki means fish in Swahili. I have no idea what fish has to do with a chimpanzee? Chimpanzees eat primarily fruit, leaves and occasionally meat but never fish, and they hate water.

Tafin and tdierikx like this.
  5. tdierikx

Maybe he smells fishy... lol!

T.

6. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Maybe he had a face like a fish as a baby? Poor Samaki!

tdierikx likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

Haha well the wrinkles on the face do seem to be a trait of Shiba’s offspring:

Samaki (2001):

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/9efdc25b978746179d8fd1b64d371ddd/samaki-a-four-month-old-chimpanzee-holds-onto-his-mother-shiba-during-gycj4a.jpg

Sembe (2008):

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/77efb97f3961447a99fa7ea66b4a7ca4/a-young-chimpanzee-named-sembe-rests-atop-her-mother-shiba-in-their-gpcy1f.jpg

Shiba has always looked very young for her age. She looks at least ten years younger than the other females in the troop her age. It'll be interesting to see if Sembe takes after her in that respect as she ages.

Tafin, Jambo, marmolady and 1 other person like this.
  8. Zoofan15

Chimbuka means ‘arise’ in Swahili.

I’m thinking some thought may have gone into this name considering his status at birth. Chimbuka (1995) was the fifth offspring to 25 year old Chiki (1970), who at the time of his birth was a high ranking female. By this stage, most of the other females in the community were post reproductive (Bessie, Susie, Lulu, Fifi) or adolescents in their early/mid teens (Lisa, Sacha, Shiba, Melissa) compared to Chiki who was in her prime. Unlike her mother, Bessie, Chiki was ferocious and a formidable force in conflicts, meaning she was highly respected, as were her offspring. It no doubt seemed likely that if any of the females had a son who would rise to the position of alpha, it would be Chiki. Following the death of the previous alpha male in 2001, Lubutu (aged 8 years) easily assumed the position of alpha over the two next eldest males, Shabani (7 years) and Chimbuka (6 years), but had Chiki not passed away that same year, I wouldn’t have been surprised if she’d helped Chimbuka, a large and powerful male, rise to power.

Tafin, Jambo and tdierikx like this.
  9. Zoofan15

Another thought on Samaki’s name….

Chimpanzees do indeed love to go fishing…for termites. Taronga Zoo has a large artificial termite mound with crevices filled with yoghurt and what not, for the chimpanzees to fish out with sticks. There’s even a great picture on Flickr by Myopixia of at least ten chimps sitting around with sticks, waiting in anticipation for a turn at fishing.

Perhaps at the time of Samaki’s birth, the termite mound (and fishing) was of great interest to Shiba. Like Kuma in 2013, Shiba’s ranking had no doubt soared in 2001 after the birth of Samaki and maybe she was granted the privilege of first access to the termite mound by the community on most days, which led to Shiba spending a great deal of Samaki’s early days fishing!

10. Zoofan15

Any updates on the chimpanzees anyone? Has any progress been made with the introductions?

11. tdierikx

I haven't been to Taronga for a while... maybe tigersam will go on the weekend and get us some updates?

T.

12. Zoofan15

13. Osprey71

Osprey71 Well-Known Member

I was at Taronga zoo today. But didn't go near Chimps. If I go on the weekend I will go and investigate. Otherwise it will be Thursday next week.

14. Zoofan15

Is it possible for these words to be in the same paragraph? It'd be like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel tower!

Looking forward to your update none the less @tigersam. I hope some progress has been made with the introductions.

15. tdierikx

Yesterday was a bit of a nightmare at Taronga - the US Vice President was there, and it caused all sorts of logistical issues... grrr! Most regulars stayed away from the place... lol!

T.

Tafin likes this.
  16. Zoofan15

Every celebrity that comes to Sydney and their media entourage gets paraded through Taronga Zoo! I'd be most displeased if I was on holiday and that was my one chance to visit. They always show them the native Australian animals too. If that was me, I'd demand to see the chimpanzee first and foremost, followed by the gorillas, tigers (when they return) and elephants (in no particular order).

Tafin likes this.
  17. tdierikx

Most logical order based on Taronga's layout would be Chimps, Gorillas, Elephants, Tigers - less walking... lol!

T.

Tafin likes this.
  18. Zoofan15

Sounds good. I'll bear that in mind if I ever became famous :D

As a casual visitor, I'd plan to explore the whole zoo. Though I admit the bird aviaries would get a more fleeting visit than some of the more powerful exhibits.

19. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I've been to Paris, and I've never seen the Eiffel Tower.

:p

Hix

20. Zoofan15

Okay, so @tigersam has reported on the Taronga Zoo News 2017 thread that the chimpanzee are STILL in two groups after 18 months of introductions. I'm not suggesting Taronga Zoo are wrong to take things slowly as the safety and wellbeing of all involved is the most important thing but is such a lengthy split of the group going to have irreversable consequences on Lubutu/Furahi? Furahi has been the alpha of his group for such a long period of time, it's unlikely him and Kuma will be willing to give that up. Thjs is probably the last year Shiba (36 years old) will be able to produce viable offspring due to her age and Kuma (25 years old) should be bred again while she is in her prime. The delay in introductions and preventing both these females from breeding this year. As far as I can gather, Naomi has settled well in the community, and after a rough few months, Ceres has also found her place. If Hannah is still struggling after 18 months, will she ever be able to make this adjustment?

Tafin, Jambo, marmolady and 1 other person like this.