Join our zoo community

Cirus man died

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Zoo_Boy, 27 Dec 2007.

1. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

This is great news I hope the media jumps all over it... A "feel good" story...

2. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The footage showed them being sprayed with a giant hose.

3. torie

torie Well-Known Member

now we just need a keeper from dubbo to let us know how they are setteling in and how they like burma etc:)

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Mar 2010
  4. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

this is a feel good story-for both the circus elephants and Burma who has been without contact with a female asian elephant for close to 9 years. i hope they are introduced, are compatible and live together happily ever after.
    as zoo boy said you can tell that Arna and Gigi are in the far left paddock. its the bigger of the two. the central enclosure where Burma lives now is smaller. before he died Heman seemed to live there most of the time.
    its great too as the animals are managed with protected contact to see the ammount of space they have to explore. the two exhibit system opens up endless possiilities for enrichment.
    all i hope now is that zoo attendance jumps to offset the cost of maintaining the new eles. on another note, TORIE, IM SO SURPRISED YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO WPZ! shame on you lol

5. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On the news the keeper said they were touching, blowing on eachother and squeaking to eachother (Arna and Gigi on Burma...) This is a good thing, blowing especially seems to be a sign that the elephant likes you. I'm no expert though

6. torie

torie Well-Known Member

i know i know, i can even get in for free and could probably get somewhere to stay for free and yet i still have never been!! we were going to go one year but then my sister got a role in a play *torie hangs her head in shame at never being to wpz* its deffinatly something that i plan on doing at the end of this year after the dreaded hsc.

like every body else i think this is the best thing that could ever have happened to these eles!

7. torie

torie Well-Known Member

you have to love this thread too, whilst elephants seem to eventually consume every other thread anywere on this site this thread dedicated to the elephnats has become a disscusion about the appaling fact that i have never been to dubbo!!:p

8. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

This is the greatest thing that could have happened for Burma!

Burma is also an ex-circus elephant. She was born about 1952 and came from Thailand to Bullens Circus. After being with the circus for many years she got a reputation as a dangerous elephant and was sent to Bullens farm outside Sydney where she was chained to a stake in a paddock alone for a few years,(essentially in the "too hard basket.")

Eventually common sense prevailed and she was sent to Taronga to be a companion for Ranee in 1982. Ranee died in 1999 and since then Burma hasn't had any female (elephant) company. Now she has Arna and Gigi.

9. torie

torie Well-Known Member

the preview at the end of this weeks episode of the zoo showed two asian elephants and mentioned the last circus elephants in australia leaving the circus so i would say that next weeks episode of the zoo will feature Arna and Gigis move