Join our zoo community

Cities in need of zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by elefante, 2 Jun 2012.

1. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have seen the other thread as well. But your second point hits it on the nose for me. The backstory and history are definitely the reason many zoos that are around now days are still open. Especially, a zoo like Chahinkapa Park and Roosevelt Park in North Dakota and others like even Comp Zoo in St. Paul.

2. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't recall coming up with one like that, but I could see it working there.

3. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What is Casper, Wyo., like? I know you came up with the idea when your "location" thing still said Wyoming (I think about 2014 or so). I have never been to Wyo. but I've always wanted to.

4. elefante

Casper is a town of around 50 to 60k in central Wyoming. It serves as the primary hub for the state on Interstate 25. It's VERY windy and can get cold. It's on the plains and not in the scenic postcard pictures you see of Wyoming. That's in Yellowstone and Grand Teton in the northwest corner.

5. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know there are a couple of threads about places in need of zoos, but those are mostly outdated.
    Are there any cities you can think of that still have either no zoo at all or a small or bad zoo. Do you think a zoo/better zoo in that city would be able to continue running or is there not enough income/money in the area?

6. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

I think Austin, being the capital of Texas, could definitely have a large zoo that runs well. All they have now is a few small private zoos that I have heard are- garbage. Every other large Texas city has a large and well run zoo (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth), but the capital of them all somehow lacks a large zoo.

7. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Austin is an hour away from San Antonio, so potentially a lot of people from Austin go there, but you're right about there being enough people to support a much larger one. Two other cities that could easily do so are Las Vegas and Charlotte. Some smaller American cities where they could potentially thrive:

• Spokane, Washington
    • Shreveport, Louisiana (somewhat close to a small accredited zoo in Monroe)
    • Reno, Nevada
    • Mobile, Alabama (Gulf Shores Zoo is nearby but not sure how large)
    • Savannah, Georgia / Charleston, South Carolina (Charleston has an aquarium)
    • Richmond, Virginia (a large non-accredited zoo is on the outskirts though)
    • Albany, New York (soon to have a large aquarium)
    • Hartford, Connecticut / Springfield or Worcester, Massachusetts
    • Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania (Lehigh Valley somewhat close but small)
    • Bakersfield, California (could support a larger/more diverse one)
    • Corpus Christi, Texas (does have a major aquarium)
    • Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina
    • Lexington, Kentucky (perhaps too close to Louisville and Cincinnati
    Potentially there are lots of smaller cities that could support much smaller zoos like those in Illinois (ones in large towns/small cities that are 20 acres or less).

Edit: sorry I don't have much to say in regards to Europe, @animalszoos! I didn't see that you live in Norway.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2017
  8. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Manchester, UK since Belle Vue. And Liverpool. But Chester & Blackpool are nearby. Newcastle and Glasgow (sadly).

9. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Palermo on Sicily, Italy
    Porto in Portugal
    Brussels in Belgium
    Geneva and Lausanne in Switzerland
    Sarajevo in Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Podgorica in Montenegro
    Pristina in Kosovo (a 1.7 million state wtihout a zoo)
    Tirana (500,000) in Albania
    Thessaloniki (metropolitan area 800,000 citizens) in Greece

10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The same topic is covered here and I do not think the thread is outdated. Why not add to that discussion? Cities in need of zoos

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  11. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Still, I dunno if there are many people who would drive over an hour to see a zoo. (at least not a regular basis) Austin wouldn't have much of a problem supporting a zoo.

On the subject of Texas, I wonder if the state could support more aquariums. Texas has a long coastline and does get plenty of beach tourism, but there's only one big aquarium.

I'm pretty surprised that Las Vegas doesn't have a zoo.

12. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What about cities in need of zoos in Canada (I know this thread specifically focuses on United States, but starting the exact same thread in the Canada forum seemed pointless)?

13. elefante

I never intended this thread to just be the USA. Knock yourself out with suggestions in Canada.

14. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Then why did you post it in the United States forum?

15. elefante

Does it really matter? Regardless of where it's posted does it really matter if someone talks about other parts of the world? Is it really taking the thread that far of topic?

16. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think he's saying that if you had no intention of this thread specifically being about cities in the United States than why did you post the thread in the forum specifically about the United States.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  17. elefante

I understand what he meant. I'm sorry I posted this in the United States forum, for the international Zoochatters feel free to post about other countries or the moderators can move this to the General Zoo Discussion. I think we're getting a little hung up on semantics here. Let's move on shall we? :)

18. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I think the only issue with the thread being in the US forum is that some of the Canadians might not see it.

Montreal proper does not have a zoo, although I think there's one in the metro area. Regina or one of the cities in southwestern Ontario (Hamilton, London, Kitchener, Windsor, etc) could likely support one. Vancouver has one but I don't think it's very large for all of the people in that region.

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I moved it for you.

Speaking for myself, with regards to the last few posts, I think the initial post in the thread makes it clear why it was originally posted in the USA forum but nowhere was it said it should only be about USA cities and I didn't take it that way myself. There were a few posts a page or two back about Europe. But just by being in the USA forum people probably would be put off posting about other countries.

20. elefante

Hopefully everyone is happy now. Now maybe this can be a nice discussion. I'm surprised this thread has lasted so long.