Join our zoo community

Clacton Pier Dolphinarium (Closed) Clacton Dolphinarium Web Site

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by John Dineley, 21 Mar 2011.

1. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

I thought it might some might be interested in my colleagues web site devoted to the history of the dolphins and whales that were on Clacton Pier.

The Whales and Dolphins of Clacton Pier 1971-1985

It contains a lot of background information, press cuttings, photos and some video.

I was lucky to get a look at what is now left of the pool last year and these photos are at the bottom of my Clacton Dolphinarium page on my UK Dolphinaria web site:

CLACTON PIER DOLPHINARIUM: 1971 - 1985

2. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

All very interesting John, thanks for taking the trouble of sharing this with us.

3. John Dineley

Thanks. I can't take much credit as it down to the hard work of Martin Allen on the first link. I used to visited the dolphins on the pier quite a bit when the Bloom's ran it. For it's day it was a nice set-up; open air, natural seawater and although the pool was not that deep (approx 3m) ) it had quite a big surface area (32m x 20m approx) - being that it was an Olympic size swimming pool originally. In fact, as a single pool it probably had the biggest surface area of any dolphin pool in the UK including Windsor. It all looks a bit sad now.

4. bugs

bugs Well-Known Member

A great website and amazing to see the pier in its former glory. Being born in the mid 80's I never saw the dolphins or whales at the pier. Although I remember seeing the pirate themed sealion show in the early 1990's. You walked through whats now the aquarium and there was a statue of a killer whale. I also remember seeing lots of dolphin themeing/cutouts scattered around the pier that must have been left over from the dolphin era.

5. John Dineley

I understand there are plans to renovate the aquarium maybe next winter and have a area of display on the history of the pier and the dolphins.

6. 4ways NAP

4ways NAP Well-Known Member

The pools have now all been filled in a a go kart track is in the process of being built all that remains in a bit of the old seating.