Join our zoo community

Closed Zoos

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by Meaghan Edwards, 23 Jul 2008.

1. mukisi

mukisi Well-Known Member

ravensden zoo ltd

Ravensden zoo ceased trading in 2000; It was set up in 1960 or thereabouts importing wild animal,birds & reptiles from the wild. It was on a 10 acre site with accomodation for most species other than bears,big cats and very large mammals. Over time it changed from only importing wild caught animals to buying and selling zoobred stock. This was an accepted practice at that time.With the creation of EAZA,the need for animal brokers diminished
    The company diversified into building crates and transporting animals all over the world,a second company selling zoo souvenirs was also started and flourishes today.
    People who visited the 'zoo' were often amazed at the diversityof the stock; many of the mammals were held in rabies quarantine for 6 months Many species were held which unfortunately wont appear in UK zoos again.

zoowhosewho likes this.
  2. kermodei

kermodei Well-Known Member

For where I live (British Columbia, Canada) three come to mind. First, though not so much a traditional zoo as something in between an endangered species captive breeding facility and game farm, would be Mountain View Conservation and Breeding Centre Society in Langley. They were never open to the public without prior reservations, and I attended said private tours on three occasions as a kid. I don't remember the timeline of their closure perfectly, considering my age at the time, but I believe they officially closed to the public sometime in 2010? (After evidence of negligence and abuse towards the animals kept there became public). For a few years after that they focused solely on native species (e.g. Vancouver Island marmots), but as of 2022 there's nothing (as far as captive animals go) but livestock on the property (not including the unaffiliated Northern Spotted Owl Breed Program).

[​IMG]
    (Photo source)

Then there was the Stanley Park Zoo in Vancouver, which opened aaall the way back in 1888! But as our understanding of how to care for animals in zoos grew and changed, the zoo stayed the same (i.e. small, enrichment-barren enclosures). And so after considerable pressure from the public, the facility closed in 1996 with the passing of its final resident, a 36 year old polar bear named "Tuk". Though most of the zoo has since been demolished, you can still visit the old polar bear grotto, which is occasionally used for art installations.

[​IMG]
    (Photo source)

And lastly, the Okanagan Game Farm in Kaleden, which opened in 1967 and covered 667 acres of land leased from the Penticton Indian Band. At one time, the park boasted 130 different species of animals, the descendants of several still living in zoos across North America (including our very own Greater Vancouver Zoo) today. Visitors were able to tour the park on foot or, at least a portion of, by vehicle. It closed down in 1999 after the cost to lease the land became too high.

[​IMG]
    (Photo source)

TinoPup, Arek, ZSH and 1 other person like this.
  3. SerriGaming

SerriGaming Member

When you mention zoos in Belgium, most people will instantly think of either Pairi Daiza or Antwerp Zoo. However, there's a notable absence of a zoo in our country's capital, Brussels. Not many people know this, but Brussels had its own zoo. It's a little known fact because the zoo closed all the way back in 1878 and its original location has been transformed into the heart of the European Union.

In 1851, 8 years after Antwerp Zoo was founded, a group of rich citizens from Brussels pooled some money together and founded the Brussels Zoo. They bought a piece of land, what is today the Leopold Park in Brussels. Their intention was to create a small oasis of peace and entertainment for the bourgeoisie. The zoo would include a small farm, an ice skating rink and a little stage for musicians to play music.

The first director of the Brussels zoo was a botanist, Jean Linden. However, it was John Wilhelm de Muller who was actually managing the animal collection at the zoo. In 1856, de Muller quit and Linden was forced to take over his job. Linden's background as a botanist, however, led to a lack in knowledge of animal care and thus resulted in a whole range of problems regarding animal welfare. Zookeepers didn't know what to feed the animals and visitors regularly brought their own (unhealthy) food to feed the zoo animals. A lot of the former zoo animals were taxidermized and are currently part of the collection of the Museum of Natural History (which is adjacent to the Leopold Park). They all show signs of malnourishment, such as severely deteriorated teeth.

Another major problem which plagued the zoo was the Belgian climate. It's cold and rainy and not fit for exotic animals if they're not properly looked after. The zoo management thought that the animals would eventually acclimatize to the Belgian weather, just like people tend to do after spending enough time in a different climate. However, this did not happen.

As a result, Brussels Zoo was characterized by a lot of death among its animals. In 1853 alone, 140 of the 567 animals at the zoo died. Visitors actually started writing letters to complain to the Zoo officials that their animals were treated badly. By 1868, Director Linden saw the writings on the wall and stepped down as Director to focus on his passion for plants instead. He was replaced by a guy named Hammelrath as Director of the Zoo.

However, the situation didn’t improve under the new leadership. And while Antwerp Zoo was flourishing, Brussels Zoo was dying. In 1876, the management closed down the Zoo. A brief attempt was made by the Royal Society for Zoology in Brussels to revive the Brussels Zoo as a scientific project, but they too were forced to close down in 1878. Between 1879 and 1880, all of the zoo’s animals were sold and the Leopold Park became a regular park in Brussels.

Today, the Leopold Park sits right in the heart of the EU's institutions, with the EU Parliament looking out onto the former zoo. The only visible remnants of the zoo's existence are the earlier mentioned taxidermized animals in the Museum of Natural History, the two former ticket boots at the entrance, a duck pond and a greenhouse in the botanical garden of Meise.

Many of you might also be interested in what kinds of animals the Brussels Zoo housed in its brief existence. From what I could find in old drawings and maps of the zoo, they didn’t have that many animals that we’d consider to be big names today. Their star attractions would probably have been Betsy, an African elephant, and Martin, a brown bear. In addition, the map I found also mentions Ostriches, Cassowaries, Llamas, Alpaca’s and Guanacos, Deer, Zebus and Wild Sheep, Kangaroos and Antelopes.

I think competition with Antwerp Zoo and its more expansive collection of animals, the bad management, the lack of knowledge about animal husbandry and the general lack of ambition of the zoo's investors meant that Brussels Zoo was doomed to fail. More than a century later and Antwerp Zoo has solidified itself as 'the' city zoo in Belgium, while Pairi Daiza has grown into a commercial success. Even if Brussels Zoo survived the two World Wars, I don't think it would've survived continued competition from Antwerp, Planckendael and Pairi Daiza. And thus it has become a footnote in history.

Ned, PossumRoach and twilighter like this.
  4. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Brussels Zoo was one of 3 ZTL zoos with a desert warthog

5. ZoologicallyDepraved

ZoologicallyDepraved Well-Known Member

Been several weeks since someone has posted on this thread, hopefully nobody minds me adding on to the discussion.

But the first that comes to mind is Gentry Safari in Arkansas. I remember visiting the facility when I was younger. I was amazed by the safari park, where ostritches could come up to your car, fascinated by the white lions, and simply giddy at the opportunity to interact with kangaroos. Of course, this was before I was old enough to understand the concept of AZA-accreditation.

It was founded in the 60s, and opened to the public in the 70s. The park started with three bison, and grew to be 400 acres over the next few decades. The founder was Ross Wilmoth, who passed away in 2005. The family kept the Safari Park going, and it was considered a "must-see" in Arkansas. A USDA inspection in 2017 revealed shocking allegations about inadequate animal enclosures and a lack of veterinary care. This sparked an outcry from animal rights activists.

The park had to pay a fine and close temporarily to settle the complaint, which occurred in 2019.
    The "zoo" finally closed down permanently in March of 2022. This was around 5 years after the USDA inspection.

Source: Gentry’s Wild Wilderness Drive-Through Safari closed to public

Cat-Man and Kalaw like this.
  6. ZoologicallyDepraved

ZoologicallyDepraved Well-Known Member

Also Selva Viva in Santiago, Chile