Join our zoo community

Franklin Zoo (Closed) Closure and Animal Transfers

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 16 Nov 2012.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Following the death of head keeper/vet/owner Helen Schofield on 25 April 2012 (details here: http://www.zoochat.com/17/elephant-kills-woman-franklin-zoo-269075/), Franklin Zoo closed to the public, and has since announced its pemanent closure.

The ZAA is assisting with the relocation of the animals to new homes. Most of the domestic animals were rehomed very quickly. Franklin Zoo's website (Franklin Zoo | Have A Wild Time) has announced details of where some of the non-domestic animals are headed, but not all animals are mentioned yet. I have listed all non-domestic species below, as well as number of individuals and where they will be/have been transferred to, where this info is available:

Mammals:
    -Black-capped Capuchins: Main group of 12 going to Mogo Zoo, Australia in Dec 2012. Future of remaining 1.2 unclear.
    -Black-handed Spider Monkey: 1.0 also going to Mogo Zoo, Australia, Dec 2012.
    -Cotton-top Tamarins: 1.1.2, future unknown
    -Ring-tailed Lemurs: ?, future unknown.
    -Pig-tailed Macaque: 0.1, future unknown.
    -African Elephant: 0.1, going to a US elephant sanctuary in 2013.
    -Zebra: 0.2, going to Orana Park, late Nov 2012.
    -Bobcats: 1.1, Returned to Hamilton Zoo.

Birds:
    -Brolga: 1.0, returned to Hamilton Zoo.
    -Kea: 1.1, to go to Butterfly Creek.
    -Emus: Sent to Altura Park.
    -Sun Conures: Sent to Altura Park.
    -Rainbow Lorikeet, Barraband, Alexandrine Lorikeet to be sent to Unitec.
    -Galahs, suphur crested cockatoos, corellas, musk lorikeets, red collar lorikeets, pheasants, diamond doves, love birds, Indian ring necked parakeets, gold finch and zebra finch have all found new homes with people.

Amphibians:
    -African Clawed Frogs: ?, returned to Auckland Zoo.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2012
  2. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

i can help here the bobcats have moved back to hamilton and i saw them in early October also the kea are moving to butterfly creek once they buld a brand new avirery for them

3. Animalgeek

And yes the african clawed frogs have moved back to auckland.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

kea moving to Butterfly Creek isn't one I would have anticipated. Interesting move for them.

5. zooboy28

Thanks for the info Amimalgeek, I have updated the list above.

@Chlidonias, It is a weird move, as I would have imagined they would now focus on small exotic mammals, not native birds. Kea certainly make an interesting exhibit but not one I would have expected at Butterfly Creek.

6. Animalgeek

No probs also Barda the spider monkey has now moved to Orana so he is not going to Mogo but al the other ones u listed are correct.

7. zooboy28

Interesting, I was just going off the Franklin Zoo website, which says:

Did you get the info off the Orana facebook page?

8. Chlidonias

bobcat is now featured in the Hamilton Zoo animal list: Bobcat - Hamilton Zoo, the Zoo with Personality

I like that they have put them on display and not just shuffled them off into an off-show cage where nobody can see them.

9. zooboy28

They've quite possibly gone back into the cage they came from, which they might appreciate I guess. As far as I know this has been empty/used by the serval for the last couple of years (there are two small cat cages adjacent to each other, the serval has been rotated through both, although spent more time in one I think). I wonder if they took their sign back with them :)

10. Animalgeek

No the bobcats are now in the old golden cat enclouser as the fishing cats are in the old bobcat enclouser and in franklin zoos facebook page there is a photo of barda in his crate saying that he is going to orana so he will probaly almost be there now. :)

11. zooboy28

So where is the serval? The serval was being rotated through the two small cat enclosures (which previously housed leopard cat, golden cat and the bobcats). The fishing cats were held in one of the enclosures down by the Chimpanzees, adjacent to the Siamangs.

I've seen the photo of Barda, thanks for that. I wonder why they changed that plan?

12. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

possibly going to orana for quarantine?

13. Animalgeek

Possibly Jarkari i will ask Oranna soon.

But so the 3 small enclousers next to the chimps use to hold the siamangs then the leopard cat then bobcats
    Now they house siamngs and fishing cats in the other 2

Then there are 2 other enclousers ( cant qute renember where they are but they are next to eatch other) and they use to house the serval and the golden cat now they house the serval and the bobcats

Hope that makes sense lol

14. zooboy28

The three enclosures down by the chimps have only ever held Fishing Cats, Siamangs and Harrier Hawks. These are quite new exhibits. This is the only place the Fishing Cats have lived.

The two enclosures in the rainforest area are quite old, and used to hold Leopard Cat, Aisatic Golden Cat and Bobcat (but only ever two at once). Once all these species had gone, the serval moved in. Now the bobcats are back, and it sounds like they have moved into their old enclosure, or possibly the one next to it.

So, in conclusion, the bobcats are back in their old enclosure, as the fishing cats never replaced them there. Hope that makes sense!

15. Animalgeek

yes u r right he fishing cats never lived there but the leopard cat lived where the fishing cats live now then he diedf then they arrived to like fill his space i think u might be right thoe :)

16. zooboy28

No, the leopard cat never lived down there. She died in 2008 I think. Those exhibits were built in 2009, and Fishing Cats have been the only felines to live there.

17. Chlidonias

that is correct, in the first half of 2008 (not sure which month though)

18. Animalgeek

Oh ok thnaks for clearing that up i understand now :) I very mutch hate the 3 enclousers by the chimps they are rather small asspecaly for the siamngs its small for them.

19. Tygo

Tygo Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. Chlidonias

Auckland Zoo Animals Moved To New Homes After Death... | Stuff.co.nz