Join our zoo community

clouded leopard request

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Teddy Dalton, 27 Jul 2016.

1. Teddy Dalton

Teddy Dalton Well-Known Member

anyone out there with high quality photos of clouded leopard? I've already raided the gallery on here.

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What do you mean you raided the gallery? You do realize it is illegal to use someone else's photo without their permission. Yes, people do it all the time with internet photos, but it is still stealing.

3. Teddy Dalton

i mean i searched clouded leopard on the gallery and chose the photos i thought were good enough and sent the links on to the artist (the photo is for a reference photo for a tattoo) to see if they're good enough for him to use. commercial use is illegal but i've not downloaded the photos or anything simply sent the links to this site where they are already published to someone, so back up with your false accusations.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

The word 'raided' does not in anyway suggest that you have sent links to someone, it suggests you have taken whatever you could.

Anyway, you weren't accused of anything. AD asked for clarification of your initial statement, and then provided some further information in case you weren't aware it.

:p

Hix

5. Teddy Dalton

do either of you have clouded leopard photos of high quality?

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

First of all, thank you for the clarification. I really do appreciate. As someone else said, the word "raided" threw me off.

Secondly, if the person is paying the tattoo artist then yes it is a commercial use and the photographer should get a percentage. Of course most amateur photographers (including many on this site) will not care about that and will be happy to let you use them.

An alternative I might suggest is to go to a stock photo site such as istock or shutterstock and purchase an image inexpensively. These sites practically give away images (one reason I do not contribute to them). Though it will cost you a few bucks, a low resolution image should be quite affordable.

7. Teddy Dalton

I am asking amatuer photographers with this post. I am already waiting responses from professional ones. if there are any professional photographers on here with suitable photos in their catalog, then they can pm me to discuss prices. I have already tried stock photo sites, some are ok, again I want as wide a selection as I can to choose the perfect photo, i'm spending several thousand over the next year on this peice plus another thousand or so on travel, in that context, 100-200 quid on photo rights for exquisite photos is nothing comparatively.

8. overread

overread Well-Known Member

You might find searching flickr gets a larger response; in addition you can set it to show "creative commons" licence images which have relaxed (but not totally released from )copyright.

Note the ground of commercial use when such images are used for reference material is debatable and not something I'm that knowledgeable - clearly a direct copy would count; but if they are simply being used as points of reference for an original work then chances are whilst a credit would be nice there is no copyright infringement.

9. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I once asked this very question of copyright infringement to an attorney friend concerning making an oil painting of a photograph. Her response was if I created or paid an artist to create for me an oil painting replica of a published, copyrighted photograph, then there is no infringement as that use of the photograph would fall under the fair use doctrine. (paying the artist for their technical skill only). Also, if the photo is used as inspiration to create a substantially different, new original work, then that use too would fall under the fair use doctrine. However, if the artist or I as the artist created the replica and commercially offered it as an original work, there might be a case for copyright infringement for improperly using the image contained in the photograph, not the photograph itself. She did say she would have to research this further to be sure.

I would think the same would apply in this instance concerning a tattoo artist.

10. Teddy Dalton

Ideal, so i'm doing nothing wrong (even though I would indeed ask the owner of the selected photo, no point asking the owner of every photo i'm considering) and thank you to the above posters for suggesting stock photo sites i'll check a few out now.