Join our zoo community

Clouded Leopards in Captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Komodo99, 19 Jul 2017.

1. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

This thread is to discuss these animals,best exhibits for them and generally how they fare in captivity.Being as there are only a few holdings for Clouded Leopards in the UK, I'm interested to know what everyone thinks about these animals.You can share moments such as the first time you spotted one,interacted with one or just happened to see an active one.

2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have seen my first clouded leopard just two weeks before in Taipei zoo.The exhibit is actually in good size, but provide not much climbing for the clouded leopard. The clouded leopard was just sitting there during my visit(keep in mind that's not formosan clouded leopard, but rather indochinese send by a german zoo(wuppertal?))

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've seen both species of clouded leopard, but in most zoos I go to they are hiding. The first one I ever saw was in Australia, but there aren't any left there now.

4. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think they are beautiful. For the few clouded leopard exhibits that I have seen in person, the Smithsonian National Zoo's is my favorite one.

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In the United States this is a recent zoo success story. It is only within the last decade that they are breeding well. This is due to a partnership with a facility in Thailand that I think was initiated by Nashville Zoo and Smithsonian Conservation Center. Nashville has a good exhibit (which I have seen) and Point Defiance has a new exhibit that appears to be quite good (I have not seen it).

We are of course talking of the mainland clouded leopard which is now considered a separate species from the Sunda island clouded leopard (Sumatra and Borneo). This exists in captivity in only a couple collections in its native range (though if anyone knows of others I would love to hear about it).

The secret to clouded leopard breeding appears to be introducing the future mates while they are still young - about one year old. This makes them comfortable with each other and prevents aggression during mating, since they have the longest canine teeth (relative to their body size) of any cat and there have been cases of the male biting through the female's skull during mating.

6. Komodo99

I have heard that clouded leopards are the closest living relatives of the saber toothed cats.Quite ingenious with how they mate these animals.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Whoever you heard that from was feeding you a line :p they are no more related to the Machairodontinae than are any other living cats, and are very distant at that.

To give you an idea of just how distantly-related modern cats are to the Machairodontinae, the last common ancestor of all living cat species is believed to have lived in the late Miocene (around 7 million years ago) whilst the first recorded members of the Machairodontinae date to the early Miocene (around 23 million years ago). As such, the last common ancestor of modern cats and the sabertoothed cats was sometime prior to this point - possibly not long after the first cat species evolved in the late Oligocene (around 25 million years ago).

8. Komodo99

Feeding me a line? What is that supposed to mean?

I don't remember where I heard it from,but I believe that whoever said must have thought that because of the cat's large canines that they may have been related to saber tooths.

Thanks for correcting it though,you learn something new everyday.

9. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They were telling you a whole bunch of BS.

zoogiraffe likes this.
  10. Komodo99

I know that but the point of that comment was that it was a joke because of what was said.I think what was meant to be said was"feeding you a lie".Hence I tried to make a small joke about it.

11. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Actually, I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere too, although this was years ago. Shame I can't remember exactly where I read this (would have been the last 90s I think, and possible that the source was somewhat older still). Or maybe I just misinterpreted what they were trying to say (or just plain remembered wrong), and instead they were saying not that they were closely related, but that they had canine-lengths that were heading towards the lower-end found in some Machairodonts?

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Nope; I said precisely what I intended to say.

Quite possibly, as this *is* accurate - in point of fact the clouded leopard has canines which are longer in relation to skull size than those of Dinofelis, one of the more recent Machairodonts.

Pleistohorse and Crowthorne like this.
  13. Komodo99

Sorry about the confusion.

14. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Cool, thanks TLD :) I unpacked my copies of 'The Big Cats and their Fossil Relatives' and 'The Velvet Claw' (OK, seriously out-of-date now, but still) just yesterday, will have to do some revision of feline evolution!

Pleistohorse likes this.
  15. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does Lok Kawi still have Bornean clouded leopards? A wildlife centre near Kuching used to have them as well.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  16. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I visited Matang Wildlife Centre, the place near Kuching, last summer they had one male N.diardi. Apparently according to @devilfish he is no longer there however. Therefore, I have been lucky to see both species. I was very impressed by how much darker in colour the diardi was from the nebulosa I have seen at the Aspinall zoos, Duisburg and so on.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  17. Smannsaker

Smannsaker Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are a male clouded leopard in Haugaland zoo. They have started to build an enclosure for a female. I'm not sure if they are intending to breed them, but I would guess so. The male's enclosure is outdoor and quite large with loads of branches to climb on.

animalszoos likes this.
  18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Read page 6 of the original PDF cum field study. I would love to know which specimens (7) are in the Taiwan National Museum and when / where collected. Also there are hunters' reports from the past - substantiated or not ..., worthy to delve into when Chinese / Mandarin is accessible to you.