Join our zoo community

Clouded Leopards

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Lesley4444, 20 Feb 2012.

1. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

Hi there...

This year i am on a mission to see a clouded leopard... what collection gives me the best chance to do this? Its a cat that i have wanted to see for years but have not managed.

Thanks

Lesley

2. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've had luck with them at Cotswold Wildlife Park and Howletts - though the first really was luck as they are kind of off-show, and all you can really see is the top of their enclosure, I was just lucky that one decided to sit on the highest platform.

I'd personally go for Howletts, as it gives as fair a chance as any and there is a stunning collection full stop.

EDIT: I think the trick is to just have patience with them - if you don't spot them straight away then wait a while, if you still don't spot any then keep coming back and checking any time you're close by. Also, ask keepers about what time they're fed and ask keepers where in the enclosure they're likely to be. I found that the Aspinall Parks both had friendly, approachable staff that were more than happy to help me with tips on seeing the cats.

3. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

I'd pretty much agree with Javan Rhino. You do need patience for this species. Other cats do seem to become acclimatised to captivity and show themselves during the day, but clouded leopards don't.

Has anyone seen the clouded setup at Linton - what's that like?

4. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Also at Howletts if you go down the side path to the elephants you can see them through the undergrowth and fence if you are lucky. (hope that description makes sense!)

5. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I managed to glimpse one at Howletts on one occasion, but by far the best viewing I ever got was at an open day visit to the Santago Private collection of the late Pete James. They had 2.2 at the time and the male (who I can`t remember the name of just now) being housed separately was very photogenic and anything but shy, luckily for me.

6. Lesley4444

Thanks for the replies...looks like it might be patience is the secret for this mission...lol

7. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was expecting everyone to reply Thrigby but no-one has, haven’t been there for years but I remember their clouded leopards being very visible.

8. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I would agree with this 100%.

9. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dedicate a day at Howletts to this mission and you should be fine. They are not that easy to see see in a zoo, but come on, the really tricky thing is to see one in the wild. So what you want is actually easy and totally doable in one day.
    I found them very visible in La Menagerie in Paris, but I guess you want to keep it in the UK.

10. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd also agree. I think it's an "ex-pet" (from abroad, not the UK) and I've never failed to see it.

11. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've not done Thrigby yet so can't comment on that one, but I've heard that there is a good success rate there.

I stick with my statement that Cotswold Wildlife Park is the one that requires the most luck, with more likely views at Howletts [and from what I've heard myself and what's on here, Thrigby].

If you like cats in general, then Howletts also throws up African wildcat, Indian desert cat, Ocelot, North Chinese leopard, Northern lynx and some of the more common big cats [2 ssp. of tiger the generic 'Bengals'].

I'm sure I'm missing a few there, don't have much time to look through zootierliste or my photos at the moment, I'm sure somebody will comment with some :s

12. johnstoni.

johnstoni. Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, Thrigby has never bred this species and has only ever held one animal, which must be geriatric by now. I wouldn't think their 'cats cloisters' is at all suitable for breeding this species anyway.

I had thought the Thrigby animal was either the last animal from London zoo, or had been imported from a US conservation ranch (I forget which one). However, I might be confusing the latter with the golden cat, which I think came from Mountain View or somewhere similar.

While Thrigby is probably the easiest place to see a clouded leopard, its one of the smallest enclosures I've seen for this species, and has indoor viewing. I think it would be much more rewarding to spot one at Howletts. As other people have mentioned, the key is to realise that the fence on the left hand side of the entire path running to the upper elephant paddock (the one which is a dead-end) is in fact the side of the clouded leopard complex. They can often be seen high up on platforms along this section, principally because I believe most people miss them so they obviously don't feel 'on view' here.

You also have the (slimmer) chance of seeing cubs if you go to Howletts.

13. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

I would agree Howletts does very well with them but its quite hard to spot them.
    Linton zoo has a densely planted enclosure, cant remember how high it was though (i hear the higher the enclosure the better?) but i couldnt spot it at all when i was there, i assumed it was inside or hidden very well!

14. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

I saw my first Clouded Leopards at the WHF (Wildlife Heritage Foundation) this January - they are not open to the public as such like a zoo but they do have Adopters Days - so if you adopted one you'd get to see it and all of their magnificent collection too :O)

15. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Went to Thrigby in December, Cloudie was hiding. Snow & black Leopards showing well though, and I like their enclosures.

16. Lesley4444

Thanks for all the replies...still yet to decided where i am heading but i will try and get to as much of these collections as possible :)

17. ageruff

ageruff Active Member

Lucky to see Tai Waida

I would recommend Howletts. I had never seen this animal before either. I was lucky enough to see the 2 year old male and get some great photos of him yesterday. By chance I got there as they were being fed around 4 in the afternoon. Hope that helps.

18. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

Clouded Leopards at Cotswold

A trio of clouded leopards can now be seen beside the black and white colobus monkeys in the cage set back on the corner.If it's quiet at about
    3.30 when they are fed!?

19. Lesley4444

Thanks for all the information... jotting it all down so that in June i will be armed and ready to go :)

20. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw them there too, one in particular (possibly the male) was a very feisty animal but they were in such small cages you were very close.