Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo news 2009 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Roz, 9 Aug 2009.

1. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

A few notes on my visit today,
    - Rajang and Tiga were in together indoors but not interacting, Rajang was his usual self watching the public and tiga was at the back under a blanket.
    - Couldn't see the new baby Giant Anteater, or infact any of tthem, except Silva who is in a separate enclosure.
    - The roof of Dragons of Komodo was retracted meaning the pair were effectively outside, first time I have seen this. :D
    - The new leaf cutter ant colony arrived on 5th August and is only using half of the main tank and none of the island.
    - Saw the Blue Duiker for the first time ever!
    - I was disappointed to see a family feeding the Goeldis Monkeys in the worlds apart walkthrough area crisps to try and get a photo, I thought people would think that the animals eat a carefully controlled diet? :confused:

2. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the last time I visited London and a man was feeding crisps and ice cream to the meerkats whilst I was watching them. I was about to say something, until another person called him up on it and the man was astounded that he was doing anything wrong and seemed reluctant to stop...

3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I saw kids throwing what I thought was leaves at the Okapi at Chester zoo, okay not as bad as ice cream or crisps but they still should not be throwing stuff at them!

4. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks Andii to that welcome. I'm not on facebook-yet but if I do I'll certainly consider it.

Although I do have some photos of Rajang both recent and from some years ago. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of him developing his cheek flanges. I'd also really like to see photos of him developing his impressive cheek flanges.;)

One the most notable stories I have from the lates 1990s was a very quiet day and there was a keeper there (me and my mum were the only people near the Orangs). She was cheaking on Rajang and she half opened the cage. There was a tall barrier bettween us and the keeper and another one from the keeper and Rajang. (If I can remember rightly). Obviously there was no direct contact bettween us and Rajang but we could hear him. He made a very deep gruffing noise.:cool: I can't remember what this was about!

I'm also pleased there are no plans for a female joining them. Poor Rajang has had a lot to go through in the last year (moved exhibits, berreved by the loss of Djambe and of course being introduced to a brand new Orang).

I think Rajang deserves a medal for going through things so well and for Tiga for also seemingly settling in well. I'm so pleased they've settled in together in such a positive manner.

5. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

I always wondered if he had any 'vocal' tendancies!! As you say, he seems to cope with whatever is thrown at him - he's just awesome and every visit involves me in spending most of my time mesmorised at his every move!! I just wish I'd have met him years ago but still, I intend to see a lot of him now - we try to get an overnight stop every 4/6 weeks. Shame you have no photos of those cheek pads evolving - I mean, they must have taken some time to reach the stunning size that they are! :eek:)

6. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Some people just don't seem to appreciate the consequences of their actions - just to get a photo! Folk like that infuriate me!! They just DON'T think or care - that's the problem!! :mad:

7. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

You are right there .... no 2 visits are ever the same so I never get tired of being in Rajy's company!! Tiga took some spotting in the cave and when you did realise he was there it wasn't clear to see which bit we were looking at!! LOL

As for the garden centre visit - I think Rajy would definitely have to go too as I'm sure he'd have something to say if the plants weren't to his liking or suitable placed in the enclosure! :eek:) After seeing his gardening skills - I'm sure he'd have his own ideas of designer gardening!! :D

8. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed it, just seeing Rajy from the 'other side' and putting his food out was great and it was nice to have a one-to-one chat with his Keeper. :)

9. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Sorry to break up the orang-utan love ( ;) ) but the duikers have been gone for some time, haven't they? Do you mean the Kirk's Dik-dik?

10. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

No, it was definately a Duiker and is housed with the Blue Cranes at Edge of Africa, I'll upload a picture. I saw the Dik Diks as well ( see them every time I visit) :p

11. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Excellent news in that case - was sure they'd gone.

12. GillP

GillP Well-Known Member

You did well to see Silva Roz ...... I've never seen him at all since he was moved into the old Fossa enclosure (which, rather confusingly, had signs up for both anteaters and fossa last time I looked !)

We saw the tail of one of the adults anteaters curled up right at the back of the outside enclosure last time, but no sign of the baby either ....... I seem to remember Silva being very visible soon after he was born.

As for the crisps ! ........ for god's sake ........ they shouldn't have to, but maybe there should always be a staff member present in the walkthrough area to deter the ****** who do this sort of thing.

13. GillP

GillP Well-Known Member

I know this is really really sad but I was watching Laztown Extra on CBeebies today (or rather my daughter was) which was about animals sleeping and lo and behold they were at Colchester Zoo - though they didn't name it, (and I was mightily confused because I thought Lazytown was Icelandic and completely based on a studio set but apparently this is a spin off but that's a bit beside the point .........)

Anyway ......... the show is on BBC iPlayer if anyone wants to see. They don't show much but there is a brief glimpse of Djambe in the old orang enclosure. Looks like it was filmed last summer.

14. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Hi Gill

Many thanks for that link - I was never lucky enough to see Djambe and never saw the old enclosure, shame it didn't show a bit more! Nice tour of Colchester - shame about the cartoon character though!! :D

15. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

After Andiii experience of keeper shadowing I was wondering if anyone else had done this at colchester?

Or have watched anyone doing it and what do they actually get to do? and is it worth the money (I know Andiii thinks the Rajy one is :) )

16. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited Colchester Zoo today. Went early to avoid crowds.;)

Notable things include:
    Near the beggining we went and saw the Sealions with the tunnel empty. Rajang was looking at the people (very few) and sort of played with a ball. We spent a long time trying to see Tiga outside but he was in. Hideing under a sack but he did stick his head out. Rajang moved into one of the rooms hung around with the keepers then moved to the main indoor quaters.

Saw a baby Capuchin Monkey.

Saw the baby anteater fleetingly and Sasha was roaring and looking impressive on his platform.

Ant colony has started.

There was something going on in the Ardvark area. Dr. John Lewis was there. Very crowdered.

Saw end of Komodo Dragon talk. Fineally I finished with the Orangs again to begin with Rajang was inside. Tiga was outside under a sack. Then Rajang came out and they both interacted around the rocks. They both came in. Tiga swung around inside and then came back out but I didn't cahse after him:eek::D.

17. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update - always nice to hear how Rajy is doing (and Tiga or course)! I would imagine there was few public in the Orangutan Forest as it is so unbearably hot with the lack of a breeze blowing through. Glad to hear your persistence caught the 2 of them together though! that's great news - I have yet to see them together!

You were lucky to see the baby anteater too - we drew a blank on 2 days when last there! Interesting re Dr J Lewis being at the Ardvark - wonder if there's another baby? Hope it's not bad news.

Thanks again for the update. :)

18. karenZOO

Went to Colchester today - BIG mistake way to crowded stopped about an hour and a half lol!!

Question about the baby anteater - was the glass all uncovered and not taped off when you went? just wondering as with the last baby it was for ages but today nothing and both anteaters were asleep in separate quarters but no sign of a baby?? unless just couldn't see it?? :confused:

What is it with the painthappy africian artist they have let loose all OVER the place :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Plywood
    Pink Plastic rocks
    Straw mixed with concrete and brightly painted

Are they trying their hardest to make us a laughing stock on here *sigh* :D

19. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

I know that stuff is becoming more common than the fake rock :rolleyes:! It is in the wallaby enclosure, Aardvark extension, new meerkat enclosure and at the out of africa area (an area which I thought may have been up for redevelopment soon!).

Not sure RE the anteaters may try and find out if I decide to visit in the week.

Also how's the leopard enclosure coming along and was there still only one Green Anaconda and Rhinoceros Iguana in Worlds apart (as there have been two of this species the time before my previous visit? :confused:

20. karenZOO

The leopard enclosure seems to be coming along ok, its difficult to tell as there is no plans on what the finished article is going to look like (except plan of area) Grey fake rock in progress!

Sorry we only did a very quick half circuit, to sasha (asleep) to the tigers (asleep) up to the cheetahs (ummmm asleep) past the hyena (ummmmmm asleep) through the childrens area (very quickly) past the lions (ummmmmmm asleep) and up the hill past sasha (still asleep) and out !!! DIDN'T even go and see Rajy thats a first!!!

Really was that mad in there!! Best highlight of the day walking past the huge queue that went right into the carpark, right through the middle of them in the card lane :D oh and driving out when people were still looking for parking places :p

Did go to Shepreth for the first time on Saturday so had my dose of zoos :D