Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo news 2009 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Roz, 9 Aug 2009.

1. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

might do, might not :) lol

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Thank you for such a mature response to what I thought was a reasonable request:rolleyes:

3. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

Not much to report, I've just got back from the zoo as it was open untill 9 tonight!
    Wasn't as busy as I'd expected- good for me, not so good for the zoo :(
    The Orangutans were still awake at 8.30 which was surprising
    The aardvarks are back in the new enclosure and it's interesting to see them outside for once :D
    An Ornate horned Frog is now in the discovery centre, this is a very interesting and fairly large growing species.
    No sign of the escaped yellow anaconda yet :eek: hopefully it will come out from the void soon ! :cool:

4. ZooLeopard

haha roz. still at home then in the void

5. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited the Zoo today. It was fairly crowdered but this didn't really spoil it! We went rather later owing to my sister taking a friend too of which I did NOT walk with!

One thing which I don't understand is they say that work is starting on their enormus new exhibit where the old orangutan enclosure is but there doesn't seem to be any building work going on. I did see the Yellow Bellied Storks but the birds kept in the enclosure adjacent to it didn't seem to have any public access.:confused:

I do indeed feel that this new fake rock work in Sasha's enclosure is pretty ugly. I have high hopes for this new Amur Leapard enclousure it does look as though there will be some plants in it. Pity about all the fake rock work in it.:p;)

I did see Zambia running around in the front of the yard. Very pretty animal. We did also see that Anaconda inside! Rajang to begin with was looking at the public inside but then did do some climbing (although only a few feet) still exciteing though.:D Tiga then came in with a blanket on himself and he then did some swinging soon Rajang came down moved firstly near the door to where the smaller cells are and then to back of the main area where he and Tiga interacted.

Fineally it looks as though the new group of Hunting dogs have settled in well although I only saw them very briefly.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2009
  6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What's the Cheetah population at Colchester at the moment? is it still 0:2 with Katavi and her mother or has one of these left and a mate been sourced for the other?

7. ZooLeopard

Yes Katavi and Uria are still at Colchester. A new male is going to brought in in the next few months, possibly February. The male Cooper who arrived last year from Banham Zoo has disappeared. I am currently waiting for an email form Banham to see whether he has died or just gone back there.

8. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

Loss of Leoni the Lioness?

I'm not sure if this is true yet but someone has written on the zoo's facebook page: "very sad news about Leoni..RIP"

Sad news if it's true :(

9. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Thats very sad news if true, A bit premiture?
    However if that is the case i wouldnt be suprised if Subu is left on his own till he passes on then the enclosure can be perhaps renovated (As it only has two indoor dens) - For another group most probably non breeding.
    Good to see Subu still going strong!

10. Nisha

The original message has vanished. Another one from a different person has apperaed also commenting on the death of Leoni. Sadly I don't think it's a hoax. :( RIP Leoni

11. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

This definately isn't a hoax after seeing the second comment. I think the zoo may have removed the original comment as they want to announce the news themselves?
    I always think it is the worst when a seemingly healthy animal passes quickly, it was only last saturday when I saw he and she seemed fine then :confused: This is similar to the death of Djambe a year ago now as this was also very unexpected.

12. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

She is 13 and its the elder end of middle-age so it could be an infection or anything.Just one of those 'freak' incidents.

13. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

I couldn't find anything on their website or facebook page, anyone got a link?

She may have had some internal disease that the zoo didn't want to announce, possibly cancer, like the previous lioness Ashanti had?

14. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

That could be another cause however Ashanti and Leoni were not immediately related so it might not be a 'family thing' - Bit of info for you Ashanti,Subu and Massing (female who died a few years back must be 2002/3) were all siblings all born early 1989 and arrived at colchester late 1989 for the new Lions of the Serengeti Enclosure.

15. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, i knew they weren't related, was just speculating that it may have been cancer, it's quite common in most big cats. I'm sure the zoo will announce it in due course.

16. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

It could be - However your guess is a good as mine.

17. Nisha

The 2nd message has also been removed from there Facebook page. They are almost certinely trying to keep this quiet for now. :confused:

18. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

I've just noticed this as well. Do you reckon that they have seen that we know on here now?
    Never knew that Subu, Ashanti and massing were siblings, I did wonder why they never bred from the trio :rolleyes:

19. traveling_wilbu

traveling_wilbu Member 10+ year member

Leoni was separated off yesterday and being treated by the vet. They were certainly doing some sort of operation on her from what I could see through the door & cage but it wasn't clear enough to see exactly what was going on.

20. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, could just be the operation was a failure? Or she never came round from anesthetic.