Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 1 Jan 2019.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

December - not September ;)

Badgerman91 likes this.
  2. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Badgerman91 likes this.
  3. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

4. DesertRhino150

Went for a reasonably long, albeit slightly rainy, trip to Colchester today. Quite a few things of note, not all of them good unfortunately:

Species Arrivals, Departures and Movements
    - It seems the black-and-white colobus are no longer in 'Out of Africa' and may have left the collection. All their signage has now been removed and I couldn't see them in that or any other enclosure around the zoo.
    - There is now a large school (50-plus) of a fairly small silvery fish mixed with the koi carp and goldfish in Koi Niwa. There is no signage saying exactly what species they are, but I am certain they are a species of bitterling.

Births

- Saw most of the newborns mentioned earlier in the thread - the blue duiker, a young mandrill, the recently-fledged crowned pigeon chick and the young aardvark on CCTV. Didn't see any of the red river hogs or coppery titi monkeys, so couldn't see their youngsters.

Developments
    - The pygmy hippopotamus indoor extension is now finished, with one of the animals using the enclosure in the afternoon. It is a fairly simple affair, similar to the original indoor area but with the floor level slightly higher so you are closer to the animals. A new access gate has also been built between the current outdoor paddock and the old patas monkey outdoor enclosure.
    - The aquarium by the pygmy hippos is now finished but is as yet unlit and unoccupied by animals. The signs suggest it will be occupied by two species of Lake Victoria cichlid, the Haplochromis xenognathus and Haplochromis nyererei.
    - The two larger side terraria that in the past housed species such as Madagascar tree boa, radiated tortoise and Nile monitor lizard now have their newest inhabitants. Both enclosures are now displays for... tropical plants. I was fully expecting a repeat species of reptile or maybe a returning species, but they totally outdid my expectations in terms of disappointment. The middle enclosure has again been drained of water, has no lighting and no animals.

General Observations
    - The Amur leopard main viewing area was closed for almost the entire day today, because the two animals have been mixed for mating. Fingers crossed for some success on that front!
    - Bull white rhinoceros 'Otto' was quite cantankerous with the three other rhinos in the paddock - when they rebuffed him he proceeded to run straight through the assorted zebras, kudu, ostrich and crowned cranes and scatter them.
    - For the first time ever, saw a Colombian black spider monkey using the tall trees in its enclosure. Seeing it really use its whole body to clamber around in the canopy was a truly brilliant sight.
    - Both of the on-show aardvarks were awake when I visited their enclosure, with one of them periodically heading outside and walking around.

Badgerman91 likes this.
  5. Badgerman91

6. DesertRhino150

An article has been released on the Colchester Zoo website about the newly redeveloped pygmy hippopotamus enclosure. It says that in the near-future the old patas monkey outdoor enclosure will be revamped to create an additional pool for the hippos.

The article is included below:
    Our hippos are getting a new pad! | Colchester Zoo

Badgerman91 likes this.
  7. DesertRhino150

Badgerman91 likes this.
  8. 4ways NAP

4ways NAP Well-Known Member

Visited yesterday -

The Tigers indoor house was closed off the public and in complete darkness no signs of all 3 tigers outdoor pool had been drained.
    Only 3 kudu visable (one female missing)
    only one crowned crane in with the dik dik

9. Badgerman91

Any idea on what was going on with the Tigers?

10. 4ways NAP

4ways NAP Well-Known Member

nope was only a sign on the door saying "closed sorry for the inconvenience" left hand room had the shutter down in complete darkness and the right hand one was open but no sign of tigers laying on the platforms like they normally are. none were visible outside either

11. Badgerman91

It’s bizarre that all 3 were not on show...let’s hope it’s for good reasons...

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is probably either very good news to follow or very bad! Not much room in between

13. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I saw all three tigers outside today.

14. pipaluk

Great, so it isn't bad news then

15. sasha242

sasha242 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. Badgerman91

That’s fantastic news!

It’s great that the zoo has finally had some luck with their big cats and hopefully this will now lead onto more success!

Last edited: 24 Jun 2019
  17. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I had an inkling it would be cubs as the pool had been drained - great news that it is the case :)

Badgerman91 likes this.
  18. pipaluk

That's what I was hoping for too,,,! I think everyone has learnt to drain the pool after London's disaster!

Badgerman91 likes this.
  19. Badgerman91

How long do you think it would be until the cubs would be out and about?

(Not that I’m thinking of booking a tiger experience!)

20. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi zoochatters,
    next week I'll be visiting Colchester Zoo for the first time and I'd like to ask you where in the Zoo can I find the enclosures for the Blue Duikers ( would be nice to see them again after many years ) and Red-backed Bearded Sakis ? Thanks for your reply.
    Jakub