Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 1 Jan 2019.

1. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

I think it would be a huge success if elephants were to reproduce after years. I had no idea that they could still reproduce (Tanya had a single calf in 2001 - no calf for 18 years! Opal had a dead calf in 2010 and Zola had 4 calves, the last in 2011). However, as far as I know, the plan was to move Tembo to Beauval later this year. He had trouble with the tusks, so the ferry was postponed. Does this mean that the move will not happen in the end? It would be a shame. If he was to move, I'd leave him in Colchester until spring to try to fertilize the cows there. A few genetically valuable cows would be waiting for him in Beauval.

2. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Would the fact that Colchester Zoo actually own Tembo and Opal (they paid the equivalent of £80,000 for them and the late Rosa) have any bearing on movements?

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is a sadly serious case of wishful thinking if it is at all near to reality. The time gaps between last births and the ages of the various cows preclude any sound prospects for breeding the cows (and also the reproductive senescence which may have set in already given that with no significant pregnancies every ovulation period upends another potential opportunity). There is still hope for the bull though as he is proven and I DO seriously hope he may be transferred this year.

BTW: no disrespect to Colchester Zoo management but alas too many current holders are holding on to their charges for dear life in the full knowledge that in their current "breeding" situation it is just not happening and yet with these chances being very very slim yet not wanting to part with them in order to perhaps move the EEP African Elephant breeding program significantly forward into a more stable and sustainable future.

Elephantelephant and Nisha like this.
  4. Elephantelephant

I also hope that Tembo will soon be transferred to another device. Tanya is very unlikely to become pregnant again. The same applies to Opal. There might be some hope at Zola's one day. All her calves, however, were born dead or miscarried one. I think it is not suitable for breeding. In Beauval (where he was supposed to be moved, but I don't know when and if it still holds true), he would meet reproductively healthier cows - Tots, Ndala and Ashanti. They are also genetically valuable. Ashanti in particular should have her first calf soon. I also wonder where Tembo's son Jambo from Valencia will move. He has to move, but it is not yet known where.

5. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

Notes on a visit today-Zoo was surprisingly quiet today but that could have been due to the weather forecast predicting awful weather but luckily it was a lovely day;

-Patas Monkey are now in the enclosure at the bottoms of the zoo which used to hold L’Hoest Monkeys...I also counted 3 Patas- I thought they only had 2 Patas monkeys?

-Smooth Coated Otter birth was announced by a keeper at a talk- no mention of when or how many

-All three tiger cubs were outside and very active jumping all over their mother

-All three female elephants were mixed together in their outdoor paddock

-L’Hoest Monkeys now in the “Out of Africa” exhibit but no sign of colobus monkeys and all signage has been removed

-Only 0:3 grey wolves now in collection- unsure of where the Male has gone ?passed away

Kifaru Bwana, DesertRhino150 and Brum like this.
  6. DesertRhino150

The Amur tiger cubs have now been named - the two males are called Mischa and Pasha while the female is called Tatana. The naming process, which involved visitors giving a donation for the names they liked best, has raised £1,200 for the Amur tiger project run by Wildlife Vets International.
    The article also says that the tiger cubs first went outside on Saturday 27th July.

The article in question is included below:
    Our tiger cubs go exploring! | Colchester Zoo

Elephantelephant and Badgerman91 like this.
  7. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Two new Patas were imported from Spain earlier this year

Badgerman91 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. DesertRhino150

I managed to make a long trip to Colchester Zoo today; these are the observations I made:

Species Arrivals, Departures and Movements
    - The new small fish mixed with the koi carp in Koi Niwa are now labelled; they are rosy bitterling Rhodeus ocellatus.
    - The cichlids mixed with the mud turtles in Kingdom of the Wild are also labelled; there are unspecified Lake Malawi cichlids Cichlid spp. and Lombardo's African cichlids Metriaclima lombardoi.
    - The four aardvarks are now back in their enclosure, mixed with at least three rock hyraxes (I saw one other hyrax mixed with the patas monkeys in Edge of Africa).
    - There are now a pair of the domestic helmeted guineafowl mixed with the Kirk's dik-dik and grey crowned cranes in Edge of Africa.
    - The Mexican red-kneed tarantula has returned to its usual exhibit in the Discovery Centre.

Births
    - Got my first view of the two new smooth-coated otter pups which are now being taught to swim by the adults; I only briefly went to see the tiger cubs on this visit.
    - Judging by how rotund the belly of the female cherry-crowned mangabey is, I suspect there may be a birth of this species due.

General Observations
    - There were several animals being walked around the zoo today; two barn owls (I suspect from the animal display team), the flightless scarlet macaw from the display and one of the kunekune pigs.

Badgerman91 and Brum like this.
  10. 4ways NAP

4ways NAP Well-Known Member

trip today,

Saw all three patas monkeys outside hope they plan to breed them

all six L’Hoest Monkeys seem to have settled in to their new home

The female pygmy hippo was having a nice time wallowing in the outdoor mud pool

No sign of any of the greater kudu today was not outside in the paddock with the rest off the animals.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

The patas monkeys are a non breeding group as the male is too old.

Also spoke to a keeper on my previous visit who said that two new female orangutans were going to arrive at the end of the year.

Kifaru Bwana, Gigit and FunkyGibbon like this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is a pity zoos seem to have lost interest in an attractive species of primate. BTW: black-faced patas being savannah forestbrush species are really getting quite rare in the wild.

gentle lemur and Brum like this.
  13. DesertRhino150

Colchester have put a couple of news pieces on their website. First is the official announcement of the smooth-coated otter pups; it has been confirmed that both of the pups are male.

More information on the link below:
    Meet our otterly-adorable pair! | Colchester Zoo

Female Colombian black spider monkey 'Fatgut' was put to sleep on August 8th after her health deteriorated and medication had no effect on her condition. Her exact age is unknown, but she had lived at Colchester for the last forty years.

More information on the link below:
    Sad passing of spider monkey | Colchester Zoo

14556 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Any updates on the African Elephants. Is Tembos sperm level back up to breeding amount? Also seeming theoretically Tembos son Jambo is young and fertile and BioParc Valencia want him moved,couldn't he be returned to Colchester and Tembo go to another zoo like Noah's ark zoo farm for example.

Please can one of my fellow Zoochatters answer me? Also do you think that my idea is viable?

Many thanks and kind regards!

The Hedgehog!

15. Elephantelephant

Tembo is probably still fruitful because he was planning to move to Beauval (is it different now?). Jambo from Valencia moves because he doesn't understand dominant cow Matla. Colchester or Noah's ark zoo farm would not be good places. He would not have the opportunity to breed. Much better would be his move to Vienna, Beauval, Lissabon (Jassa would move due to failure in breeding) or West Midlands. Here live cows suitable for breeding but do not have a bull.

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  16. 4ways NAP

4ways NAP Well-Known Member

Colchester seem to be back down to 2 kudu now, not sure what happened to the other two

Baby Rock hyraxs have been born in the aardvark enclosure

Baby ring tailed lemur has been born in the past week as well

17. DesertRhino150

A couple of bits of news about new individuals of currently held species arriving at Colchester have been released.

First, a group of six male red-necked wallabies have arrived from Woburn Safari Park to join the current bachelor group.

More information is included in the link below:
    Our wallaby group has grown! | Colchester Zoo

A new female golden lion tamarin has also arrived, this time from France, to join the current male 'Sooty'. The hope is for these tamarins to become a breeding pair.

More information is included in the link below:
    There’s a new couple in town! | Colchester Zoo

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Not sure this has been mentioned, but if anyone is visiting using membership from Chester, Twycross, etc ... you need to get a ticket from the new booth outside now. I hope they at least open this booth earlier in the future, as I think Chester do.

19. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I've never had to get a ticket at Chester - is that a new thing? Usually just show our Colchester pass at the entrance gates.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2019
  20. DesertRhino150

It's a fairly new thing, that has come about with the new entrance. If you have a Gold Card you can go into the new entrance building and straight through, but if you are buying a day ticket you need to get it from a new little building nearby (in the car park).