Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Columbus Zoo and Aquarium News -2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by TZFan, 1 Jan 2016.

1. Duerener1

Duerener1 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zoo's Facebook.

3. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Are the twins the pair who were rescued this past month after their mother was killed by a boat?

4. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From other articles I have read about them I do believe the twin manatees' mother was killed by a boat.

5. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Small clip of Aurora with her cubs :

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know the details of the renovations being made to the elephant habitat? Are they transforming the interior to natural substrate?

-Any news of breeding between phoebe and Hank?

I really like this exhibit, pretty spacious but I feel like viewing is limited by the planting and tall fences. I would love to see a elevated boardwalk trail along the main yard similar to that in OKC.

9. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

If I see a keeper around next time I visit, I'll ask about any renovations - I haven't heard much (beyond the addition of the new hay feeders). Like many, I'd love to see natural substrate in the barn, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much. I've also been meaning to ask about any breeding between Phoebe and Hank and more generally what the status of future elephant breeding at the Zoo is.

As to your comment about the exhibit, I don't find a huge problem with the fencing (which isn't too high, and is about as open as it can be) and I'm not sure what plantings you're referring to. The outdoor exhibit is really pretty open, and I've never had any real problem with sightlines. I'm not sure there's much need for an elevated boardwalk, at least as the exhibit is currently designed.

10. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As a matter of fact, the Pachyderm House floors have been covered with a layer of sand!

Also. crested wood partridges have been added to the flying fox exhibit in Asia Quest.

11. jibster

12. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I will be visiting Wildlights soon for the second time... on a Friday or Saturday night, is traffic bad for Wildlights? I have some family in Cincinnati, and they said they tried to go to zoo lights at the Cincinnati Zoo, but traffic was so bad they couldn't even get off the exit.

13. jibster

You won't have trouble getting off at the exit (as the nearest exits are quite a distance from the zoo), but traffic and crowds can be a bit crazy, especially on the weekends. Both can depend on a number of factors besides the day of the week: how near to the holidays (though crowds tend to be lower for the last week, i.e. after Christmas), any special events (as the day's crowds can stick around for the start of Wildlights), the time you're visiting, and particularly the weather (temperature and precipitation) - both predicted and actual (predictions of bad weather cause a lot of people to not plan for the given evening, and can lower crowds even when the actual weather isn't that bad). Having said that, I've never really had a huge problem with either crowds or traffic (even with a lot of people, the lights are still visible) except on the member's only preview night (which is always an absolute zoo - pun intended).

14. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

The zoo has received an 8 year old and a 14 year old Asian elephant cow from Ringling brothers for breeding purposes.

15. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A very exciting turn of events! Hopefully Beco will be a successful breeding bull in coming years. Given that Hank has not managed to get Phoebe pregnant (to our knowledge) in the four years of living together, hopefully the almost 8 year old male Beco will follow in his mothers families footsteps and become a prolific breeder at a young age (or I suppose they could recall 12 year old Bodhi from Denver, and send Beco away for some time in bachelor school.)

16. TZFan

17. Kudu21

Video of Phoebe, Connie, Hank, and Beco enjoying their newly sanded indoor exhibit:

18. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the outdoor yard is getting any renovations?

19. TZFan

20. Kudu21

Video update on the polar bear cubs:

jayjds2 likes this.