Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Columbus Zoo News - 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by SamMetz, 13 Jan 2015.

1. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Columbus is awesome! Yesterday, on a mini-vacation, I was able to visit C-bus and spent 6.5 hours there- my 15th visit!
    I saw the cheetah run and it was amazing. Jacob was the 5-year-old cheetah in the presentation!
    See a full review at the thread http://www.zoochat.com/22/loricuas-mini-road-trip-418041/
    I also visited Ohio Bird Sanctuary in Mansfield as well.
    Banzai was the hyena out in the waterhole. I didn't go to Asia Quest or Pachyderms, and spent 2 hours in HoA and NA alone (not Polar Frontier). Columbus is always hot in the summer, and Dayton as well.

2. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

From the zoo's Facebook page - The 3-month-old cub is named Chewbacca or “Chewy” for short. He weighs over 25 pounds and loves to swim, lay in the flower beds and play with boomer balls. This cub was one of three cubs born at the Zoo last April and it was decided to hand rear the trio after their first-time mother would not nurse them. Sadly, two of his brothers passed away from aggressive pneumonia despite the intensive care they received. However, Chewbacca is doing well and eats over three cups of meat a day and as a member of Jungle Jack Hanna’s animal ambassadors, guests can often see Chewy during the 11 a.m. show at the Animal Encounters Village!

3. SamMetz

A few good bits of good news and one sad update.

The baby pygmy loris has been named Feta, to keep the cheese theme of her parents Gouda and Muenster.
    https://www.facebook.com/columbuszo...27035532105/10153073486087106/?type=1&theater

The zoo has posted a video about how the new moose calf, Ojibwe, loves the rain and his pool.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxxkLd3uTTU

The sad news is that the zoo has announced the death of, Dude, the 23 yrold the Grand Cayman Iguana. - "It is with a heavy heart that we say goodbye to Dude, the Grand Cayman iguana. Dude passed away yesterday morning, he was about 23 years old. Our thoughts are with the animal care team who took very good care of Dude, even taking him on walks in the Aldabra tortoise habitat. He will be greatly missed."
    https://www.facebook.com/columbuszo...27035532105/10153079283107106/?type=1&theater

4. WV Zoo Volunteer

WV Zoo Volunteer Member

Can anyone give me an update on what animals are being housed currently in the Roadhouse building? I realize in the last couple years, there has been a lot of switching-around, departures, and new additions.

5. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

I can at least give you the basics (all of the larger exhibits in the nocturnal section, save the tiny exhibits for reptiles/amphibians/insects) -

Northern Brown Kiwi/Tawny Frogmouth (last visit the frogmouth signage was absent and I didn't see any, so they might be out of this exhibit now).
    Southern Hairy-nosed Wombat
    Binturong
    Tawny Frogmouth
    Matschie's Tree Kangaroo
    Pygmy Slow Loris/Indian Porcupine
    Feathertail Glider

For reference, the prior inhabitants of these exhibits were:

Prevost's Squirrel/Ground Cuscus/Greater Malayan Chevrotain/Brush-tailed Bettong (not necessarily all together)
    Northern Brown Kiwi
    Clouded Leopard/Fishing Cat
    Banded Palm Civet
    Tree Kangaroo (though I might be mistaken, this might have been home to clouded leopard at one point - anyone know for certain?)
    Binturong, Tiger Quoll, Fishing Cat...this one has changed its species composition most frequently
    Feathertail Glider/Dog-headed Fruit Bat

I can't recall the complete aviary list off the top of my head, but Kookaburra are in the small glassed-in exhibit off to the side, formerly home to prevost's squirrels and the porcupines.

Not the best current collection list for a complex that has housed rarities like dog-headed fruit bat, banded palm civet, ground cuscus and tiger quoll (and sad for the cat lovers who used to be able to see clouded leopard and/or fishing cat at different times).

Hope this helps.

6. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Masked Lapwing, Hooded Pita, Nicobar Pigeon, Marian Fruit Dove, Crested Partridge, Grosbeak Starling, Victoria Crowned Pigeon, Metallic Starling, Goldies Lorikeet, Eastern Rosella, Straw-necked Ibis, Lesser Whistling Duck, Red-bellied Leiothrix, White-throated Ground Dove, Golden Pheasant, Bali Mynah, Jambu Fruit Dove, Black-naped Fruit Dove, Luzon Bleeding Heart, Pied Imperial Pigeon, Javan Pond Heron, Magpie Goose, Laughing Kookaburra (separate)

7. WV Zoo Volunteer

WV Zoo Volunteer Member

It did, very much so. Thanks a bunch. You too Moebelle.

8. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. jibster

I'm not certain of the date, but it was quite a few years back. I can remember two sets of cubs, I think, one of which was born to the white lions the zoo used to have. I've not been keeping up with the zoo's lions, so I'm not even sure if the three lions currently exhibited were part of the zoo's collection before Heart of Africa opened. If I think of it, I'll ask next time I visit (probably next week).

11. SamMetz

The current lions the zoo has are Tomo, the male and half sisters Kazi and Asali. And yes they are the lions that were at the zoo before HoA was completed. The last lion cubs born at the Zoo were in September 2009, when Asali had triplets.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2015
  12. jibster

Thanks for the info, SamMetz. I wasn't able to link to the Dispatch article before I posted or I wouldn't have sounded so ignorant... I believe the white lion cubs (quadruplets if I remember correctly) were the previous litter, born a few years before 2009.

13. SamMetz

You didn't sound ignorant ;) I was just reading the post from the zoo's Facebook about the lions when I saw your question so I passed the info on. Plus the zoo hasn't mention their lions a lot lately ether. Do you happen to know if those white lions were the ones that were at Cinci and Toledo? If so that would explain why I can't remember them having white lions, I say that because the ones I'm referring to are quite old and most of them have passed away in the last year.

14. WV Zoo Volunteer

WV Zoo Volunteer Member

Since the zoo still has plans to expand Heart of Africa sometime in the future, I wonder if there are actually any plans in place for separate exhibits for the watering hole rotation animals? I've heard the aspect of not knowing what you'll see in there is refreshing, but the fact that there are species that have no other viewable exhibit is pretty counter intuitive.

I'm pretty sure the only released planned expansions are for a meerkat exhibit and an overnight tented camp.

15. jibster

I know the white lions were advertised as being from Siegfried & Roy, but I'm not sure whether they were the same animals at either of the other Ohio zoos that exhibited them. Personally, I'm glad the Columbus zoo returned to exhibiting "normal" lions, as I'm not a fan of the fuss over the artificially-preserved color morphs of either lions or tigers (although I have not heard of the same inbreeding problems with white lions as with white tigers developing as of yet). Anyone know which/how many accredited zoos (beyond Cincinnati, which has indicated that once the current white lions die off the program will end) in the U.S. still hold white lions?

16. jibster

I don't know that even the meerkats can be considered a planned extension - they were mentioned at one point, but were later removed. There has been no mention I've heard of separate exhibits for any of the waterhole species, but I would not be surprised to see some or even many of them moved into new quarters if and when an expansion is completed. As for the overnight tented camp, while it has been mentioned on several occasions, I don't know what its current status is. Since the last levy failure, Columbus has been very circumspect about future plans, though the continued acquisition of new species for the waterhole rotation certainly suggests a continued interest in expansion to the area.

As for other extensions, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of many plans that have been announced and later scrapped come to some fruition. I would imagine that movement of the black rhinos (one of the plans excluded from the latest Heart of Africa plans) would be likely a part of an expansion, and would not be surprised to see exhibits for meerkats (probably the most likely extension) painted dogs (especially if there is any breeding success at the Wilds), spotted hyenas (my pick for the waterhole animals most likely to first get a new exhibit), and perhaps hippos (still surprised that Columbus has not yet added hippos back to its collection after so many years; though I would actually probably rather see the addition of pygmy hippos - sadly absent from Ohio collections for many years now - to a relocated Congo forest section, Nile hippos were announced originally for what is now Heart of Africa). Much as I would love to see the once-promised return of African elephants, I don't see this as being very likely (though the zoo certainly has the space, I would guess there is more interest in revitalizing the Asian program before even considering extending to another species).

As for what I'd like to see, besides the exhibits I mentioned, I'd love to see the addition of smaller species to give a more complete view of the savanna ecosystem. I'd love to see smaller carnivores (perhaps serval, which are in the zoo's current collection for education/outreach, caracal, honey badger, dwarf mongoose), birds (most of the birds found in the Congo forest aviary are actually savanna dwellers; as a bird lover, I'd love to see more focus on birds in the Columbus collection in general), and some reptiles/amphibians/invertebrates (Nile crocodiles would give the zoo a much-needed crococodilian). My biggest problem with Heart of Africa (and some other zoogeographic area of Columbus) is the focus on the large, more familiar species with short shrift given to exhibits of dynamic smaller species which could easily be added to round out the collection. To my mind, it's sad that the vast Polar Frontier section only exhibits three species - all carnivores (excluding the unsigned fish in the bears' pools) and makes no effort to focus on the other inhabitants of the area (for this reason, as an overall exhibit, give me Polar Bear Plunge in San Diego, even though I prefer the bears' Columbus digs to their California counterpart); and the Heart of Africa is not much better - with a great main exhibit (and the rotating cast of the waterhole) and nice exhibits for lion, cheetah, and vervet (and serviceable exhibit for camel), but otherwise artificial representatives of Africa's "small five" relegated to a tiny, poorly marked corner and nothing else. Give me a collection more like the relatively nearby Binder Park or Fort Worth's African section (even Cincinnati - though I wish Cincinnati had given its collection more space instead of trying to shoehorn everything into a too-small footprint, and Cleveland, looking at both its dated Africa and the African Elephant crossing) any day - I like to see zoogeographic exhibits that paint a more complete picture of the ecosystem they are representing.

17. 6536799

6536799 Member

Cockatoo (sulfur crested I believe) is in with the kangaroos in the walk a bout last time I was there. There was also baby ojibe in his little pond with a slightly older moose calf and there was a new baby velvet monkey in HoA I was unable to get his picture though
    does anyone know the moose calf's name??

18. 6536799

6536799 Member

The male white lion was named sunshine and he died at age 19 and had a brother named future who was euthanized by age 17 because he,was having a hard time walking these were the animals given to them by Siegfried and Roy along with Wisdom and legend who died at Toledo zoo

19. 6536799

6536799 Member

The male white lion at Cincinnati zoo was named sunshine and he died at age 19 and had a brother named future who was euthanized by age 17 because he was having a hard time walking these were the animals given to them by Siegfried and Roy along with Wisdom and legend who died at Toledo zoo

20. 6536799

6536799 Member