Join our zoo community

Coming to U.K. where to stay?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by CZSGOV, 3 Aug 2019.

1. CZSGOV

CZSGOV Member

i am coining to the U.K. in October to visit/meet some cousins. I am planning to go from Bangor to Chester and Edinburgh after the visit. Any suggestions on where to stay near the zoos in both places?

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The good thing about Europe is that public transportation is mostly good. I have visited both Chester and Edinburgh and it was easy to get from a hotel in the town center (walking distance from train station) to the zoo by bus. I believe there is also a hotel right next to Edinburgh Zoo.

3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

There is me avoiding public transport in the UK because I think its rubbish.

Edinburgh does indeed have a hotel next to the zoo but there is also a bus that stops right outside (I drove as it was 3/4 changes from where I was staying).

Chester there is bus option from the centre its self but easy enough if you are driving.

Cat-Man likes this.
  4. Arizona Docent

Well I live in USA which is very car-centric and I find the public transportation in UK very decent. I suppose it depends how far you are going and whether or not you need to visit outlying areas. I have rented a car a couple times for one day only to get to Highlands Wildlife Park (Scotland) and to Howlett's Animal Park (England). Small rental cars in UK and other European countries are manual transmission, which I had not driven in a couple decades. Add this to the shock of sitting on the opposite side of the car and shifting with the opposite hand and trying to remember to drive on the opposite side of the road, all the while trying not to get lost, and it becomes quite the adventure!

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I think most British marvel at the public transport on the continent but despair at our own. Price and reliability key issues.

Yeah driving in different countries is a massive off put for me...knowing local rules key issue for me.

Manuals tend to be the norm here, not sure with US but here you have to learn in a manual to be able to drive both. Where as an learning in an automatic you can only drive an automatic (or well sure used to be like that).

Cat-Man likes this.
  6. Arizona Docent

All rental cars in the United States (except for sports cars) are automatic transmission. No one here is expected to know how to drive a manual transmission, though a lot of people do know. The driver's licenses (regardless of which state issues them) make absolutely no notation of this. Interestingly, every car I have rented in Europe was a manual transmission, so it is clearly a cultural difference. (Which begs the question, how do you drive if you have a broken arm or are missing an arm?). I have rented manual cars in the following: England, Scotland, Spain, France.

7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Should you be driving with a broken arm or missing an arm?

You can request an automatic, often at work they ask when getting a hire car if we are ok with automatics, doesn't bother me but prefer to drive a manual.

Weird I would have thought America seems more in love with their cars you would want a manual.

8. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

When I was younger, I would have agreed. But, modern automatics are much more forgiving and excellent to drive. My last two cars (both Jeeps, so American of course) have been automatic; and all round, and especially in modern heavy traffic and/or over long distances, they are much better than manuals. I personally would not go back to a 'stick-shift', but here in the UK it is still the norm.

9. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Maybe there is something in age too, I am one of the younger members of the team, the older members tend to ask for automatics for the hire car but all have manuals for their own cars...

I tend to avoid most of the heavy traffic in my commute. And cruise control is your friend in any car, its really a must for all cars.

10. CZSGOV

CZSGOV Member

Thanks for the info. Do you know the name of the hotel outside the
    Edinburg Zoo so that I can make a reservation?

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is the one next door to the zoo Holiday Inn Edinburgh

Alternatively I can highly recommend another hotel in Haymarket (a mile or so from Edinburgh City Centre) that is likely to be cheaper. If you were to stay in the one in Haymarket then the bus stop to the zoo is less than 5 minutes walk away. The bus drops you on the road opposite the zoo entrance. It picks up from the entrance (zoo side of the road) when returning to the city. Travelodge | Edinburgh Haymarket hotel - Edinburgh Haymarket hotels

12. CZSGOV

CZSGOV Member

Thank you for the recommendation. Another question. Do the London, Chester or Edinburgh zoos have reciprocal entry with any AZA zoos. I also belong AAZK, the Bartlett Society and Zoo Grapevine

13. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I can say for sure that ZSL does not have reciprocal entry with other zoos, only between the two ZSL sites (London and Whipsnade). I believe that Edinburgh and Chester have reciprocal entry, along with Paignton, Bristol, Colchester, Twycross and a few others.

14. CZSGOV

CZSGOV Member

I am booking a train back from Edinburgh to London. Will I have enough time to get to Heathrow from Kings Cross station if my train arrives 4 hours before my flight back to the states?

15. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, shouldn't be anywhere near four hours, probably between one and two. :)

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

You can't get to the airport at the departure time though. He would need to be there about three hours before an international flight, especially somewhere like Heathrow.

17. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In that case it would be really tight, best I've found online is one hour and three minutes.

18. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think you'll be okay as long as the train is on time. Traditionally long haul flights required passengers to check in three hours before flights but I don't believe that's the case now, you should check with your airline.

19. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In most of the US, public transportation is either terrible or nonexistent, so it really doesn't take much to impress an American in this area.

20. taun

taun Well-Known Member

If you want to be impressed, just go to any other European city/country and their public transport is amazing.

Just so much easier to drive in the UK than having to hope public transport is running.

Saying that I get the train into Liverpool every other weekend to watch the football and that is generally quite good just if they are not running its a nightmare.