Join our zoo community

Birmingham Zoo (Alabama) Common Hippo History

Discussion in 'United States' started by Chris Sand, 17 Sep 2021.

1. Chris Sand

Chris Sand New Member

I grew up watching Mama Petite and Tadpole, Birmingham Zoo's last common hippos. Mama passed in 2007 and Tadpole last year. I have found information stating they produced roughly 9 calves. I know for sure one calf was female born Easter Day (4/11) 1993 aptly named "Bunny."
    I'm sure her name has changed when she was transferred, but I am hoping to find some of their descendants. I miss seeing those two and would love to keep up with any offspring I can find across the country.

Mama Petite was c.1957 and wild caught in 1959, whereas Tadpole was born in Oct. 1978 at the Houston Zoo.
    I am also curious about Tadpole's lineage and who his parents could have been. There is not enough information on our hippos, so if anyone knows anything, I would greatly appreciate it!

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  2. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

If Tadpole was born in Houston, he might have had parents from the U.S. Also, welcome to ZC! :D

3. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

According to the North American Nile Hippopotamus Studbook, "Tadpole" was born at Houston Zoo on 22nd October 1978 and he was transferred to Birmingham Zoo on 16th June 1979. His father was "Uebi" (wild caught 1959); his mother was "Durka" (wild caught 1957).
    In my copy of the studbook (2011 edition), I can only find five calves born to "Tadpole" x "Petite".

• male born 19th July 1984
    • female born 29th November 1986
    • female born 12th April 1990 (died same day)
    • male born 11th April 1993
    • female born 26th November 1994 (died 29th November 1994)

Frustratingly, no names are given although, interestingly, the one born 11th April 1993 (presumably "Bunny") is listed as a male.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2021
    Kifaru Bwana and Bengal Tiger like this.
  4. Chris Sand

Chris Sand New Member

Thank you so much for this helpful information, I really appreciate it!
    Is this studbook available online somewhere? I would love to see it if possible.
    Again, thank you for taking the time to check for me!

csartie and Bengal Tiger like this.
  5. Tim May

The North American Nile Hippoptamus Studbook was once available on-line but, unfortunately, it no longer appears to be; I've tried to google it with no success.

If anybody does have an on-line link to it then I too would be very interested please.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe

RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe Well-Known Member

There was also a male named Simsooty from 1959 to 1977. Tadpole was his replacement.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

The studbooks are on the AZA website in the animal programs database. You might need a password to access them.

Tim May likes this.
  8. Tim May

Thank you.

9. Tim May

According to the studbook, "Simsooty" was wild caught, arrived Birmingham 6th May 1959 and died Birmingham 27th February 1978. He fathered three hippos in Birmingham.