Join our zoo community

Zoo København Copenhagen Zoo First Visit

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by markun, 24 Mar 2009.

1. markun

markun Well-Known Member

I'm going to Copenhagen Zoo for the first time next month, I know about the elepphant house, hippo house and savannah, tasmanian devils etc but is there anything in particular I should look out for or be careful not to miss?

Thanks!

2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

3. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

They have a lot of extremely interesting birds (at least as marked by ISIS). African jacana, Congo peacock, Red-legged seriema, Long-tailed lorikeet, Hardwick's leafbird, Amethyst starling, Speckled mousebird, White-rumped shama, Wattled starling, Hanging parrotlets, Carmine bee-eaters, African pygmy geese, Pheasant pigeons, Bare-throated bellbirds... for me only one of these birds is much more valuable than an entire family of hippos :)

4. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The savannah is nothing special but you should definately not miss the Elephant House, Hippo House and tasmanian devils. We also have quite nice exhibits for red pandas and Asian small-clawed otters.

Aside from the birds that Kakapo mentioned (we have one of the biggest breeding groups of congo peafowls anywhere) you must not miss the Night Zoo. In here we have moholi bushbabies and Virginia opossums, both species very rare in Europe. Also be sure to see our breeding group of Greenland musk oxen as they are a particular pride of Copenhagen Zoo.

It would also appear that you are in luck and visit late enough to see the newly renovated Ape Jungle with a new indoor exhibit for chimpanzees and aviary for Javan rhinoceros hornbills.

If you would like me to guide you around the zoo when you visit send me a PM and let's see if we can find out something.

5. markun

markun Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback! I'm particularly keen to see the musk oxen, haven't seen those before.

6. zoo chp89

zoo chp89 Well-Known Member

copenhagen zoo is the best zoo

7. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Best zoo in what scale? It's certainly one of Denmark's best zoos (some people think it's the best one, I don't quite agree), and it's without a doubt worth a visit for every just slightly zoo-interested tourist in Copenhagen.

But it has many superiors in the rank of the world's best zoos.

8. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

I visited it for the first time in 1995 and it had everything that a 14 year old could ever wish for.

My next visit was in 2004 and then the place looked depressed and run down. So many exhibits were empty and parts closed off. But they were starting to build the elephant house then, and with its scale, no surprise that major changes had to be made. From the photos here on Zoochat, it seems that I MUST visit soon (I lived in Australia so the Tassie Devils are not the same attraction to me as to most others) although I'm wondering if I should wait until the new Polar Bear exhibit is open in two years or so.

9. zoo chp89

wait until June 2011, in years when the new flamingo is ready with the other birds! this is my 22 visit to Copenhagen Zoo in 8 years

10. zoo chp89

new things going on in Copenhagen Zoo
    2011 flamingo plant with migratory birds fledge around you when you walk into the facility
    2012 new artic ring for polar bears and arctic birds with Saaler
    2013 - new and improved facilities for brown bears and plans chinpanse holding out for chinpanserna
    anything else that you know my friends

11. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I am sorry to disappoint you there but that is now going to happen by 2013 if at all. The plans for these animals are not yet completed and it is not certain what will happen to them. They will both stay in the collection and the brown bears will most likely stay where they are with major modifications to their current exhibits.

The chimpanzees are a different matter. Since Copenhagen Zoo is the EEP-coordinator for western chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes verus) and ESB-coordinator for common chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) these will also stay at the zoo. Either they will continue to live in the Ape Jungle and have and outdoor exhibit added or they will move to the African section in the southern part of the zoo.

This is not yet decided but it will take a few years. Copenhagen Zoo does not have the echonomy to start a new major project right after the Arctic Ring.

12. zoo chp89

thanks for the reply my friend, too bad they do not have the capital yet with chinpanserna
    but and they get it, I hope it will be fine. Moving to chinpanserna
    African part may be fine but I have heard that the zoo in 2020 has planned to move the lions to
    African side and extend the children's zoo so that the lions will get a seat in the new African Chamber!
    , a new chinpans group move into apdjungeln so, it would be good because
    the one plant is empty since 2001 when the gorillas moved to Givskud Zoo.

13. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The zoo wants to move the lions to Søndermarken but is not not certain where they should go yet. I have heard of a few rough ideas but nothing for sure. The Children's Zoo certainly won't be extended. In fact there was talk of moving it to make room for the lions and chimpanzees.

There will not be two chimpanzee groups in the Ape Jungle, it is now big enough for that. Either the chimpanzees will stay and an outdoor enclosure added or they will move to Søndermarken and the house could be used for other species. So far ideas have included orang-utans/gibbons/tapirs or possibly galapagos tortoises and komodo dragons.

14. zoo chp89

hello!
    what happens to the gibbon island in the zoo, it should open again in June 2011 when the new flamingo
    facility is completed? As I have poorer zoos newsletter last year we talked about moving the gibbon to another facility in the zoo and the gibbon island will have squirrel monkeys instead of gibonerna is it true? Law had it so good my friends

15. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The gibbons already moved to the World of Primates last year when construction started where they still are today. They are waiting to be transfered to ZOOM Erlebniswelt in Gelschenkirchen, Germany. Gibbons will leave the collection in Copenhagen Zoo over the next few years but the plan is to hopefully have the return around 2020 (depends on how the other plans work out).

Meanwhile, a new house is being built for squirrel monkeys on the site of the old gibbon house. A group of 15 bolivian squirrel monkeys have already arrived at the zoo from Apenheul in the Netherlands.

16. zoo chp89

hello my zoofriends!
    thanks for the news of the zoo copenhagen! Are there any more news this year in Copenhagen zoo than
    the new flamingo is ready and the new house with squirrel monkeys?

What happens to the plant where Ibis is when IBIS has move to new flamingo plant?

but Yours sincerely, jonas

17. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

There are no other new exhibits opening in Copenhagen Zoo this year. The Flamingo Aviary will open on June 22nd and the bolivian squirrel monkeys will move into their new house and island around that time as well. It is the plan that turkey vultures will ocupy the former Ibis Aviary.

So far the only animal news is a group of very ill-tempered ruffed lemurs from Ree Park that came this april and currently live in the Galapagos Tortoise House. The tortoises are off-show.

18. zoo chp89

hey zoo friends!
    now it's only 6 days until the new flamingo aviary is finished! the birds will be in the facility? flamingos and ibis any more birds? when IBIS has moved to new flamingo plant June 22 is old ibis aviary until then or will the new day after June 23? and when will the new group of squirrel monkeys and lemurs new group where the Galapagos tortoises are?
    to have it started out well and soon I'm going to the wonderful zoo in copenhagen!

19. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I am not sure that I understand exactly what you mean but I will try to answer your questions anyway:

- The species set to live in the Flamingo Aviary on opening date are caribbean flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber), scarlet ibis (Eudocimus ruber) and roseate spoonbill (Ajaia ajaja) as well as possibly black-necked stilt (Himantopus mexicanus).

- The old Ibis Aviary will be used for turkey vultures (Cathartes aura) of which two have already arrived from Barcelona Zoo and are now in quarantine.

- The squirrel monkey house have been delayed a few times but it is now almost finished and the monkeys will move in sometime over the next two weeks.

- The ruffed lemurs are living in the Galapagos Tortoise House because there is no room for them in the World of Primates right now, as the intended ruffed lemur exhibit is currently occupied by the family of lar gibbons waiting for transfer to ZOOM Erlebniswelt.

20. zoo chp89

thank you zoo friend that's what I meant by the question. When will the new zoo map on zoo.dk website just the old one is there from 2010 hope it comes next week when you have opened a new flamingo aviary and the Turkish vultures have moved into the old ibis site!
    no other news in the zoo to the next year or something new animal or a digression of the zoo in the south the land you have discussed?
    have it so good again, my friend zoo