Join our zoo community

Zoo København Copenhagen Zoo news 2020

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by littleRedPanda, 11 Feb 2020.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

2. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What kind of species of Kangaroos are housed in Copenhagen Zoo?

3. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Tasmanian Eastern grey kangaroo (Macropus giganteus tasmaniensis), the only ones in Europe. ;)

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In addition the also keep Red-necked wallaby near the African savanna in what is the old Australian area.

StoppableSan and Mehdi like this.
  5. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I’m currently feeling very grumpy at Copenhagen Zoo. I was having a lovely peaceful visit today, a cold and windy but mostly sunny day. It’s my first visit since the giant pandas arrived. I can understand why some people have reservations about the enclosure but given that Copenhagen is absolutely an architectural city zoo I think it’s appropriate to the setting and style of the zoo, especially this part next to the elephants.

Unfortunately it’s essentially a pit and ground level viewing opportunities are very limited. One of the pandas was asleep all the time but on a platform with good viewing opportunities. The other one was more active.

A large part of the ground level viewing is taken up by a restaurant. As I passed by, I could see the panda busily eating bamboo right by the window. So I went in to take a picture. I was quickly approached by a member of the waiting staff who asked if they could help me. I said I’m just taking a picture. She scowled and said ok but be quick. I said very loudly well this is actually a zoo. I’m really disappointed by this attitude and will be emailing the zoo to complain. The restaurant wasn’t even that full. I’m trying not to let it spoil and enjoyable day of zoo visiting but it isn’t easy. It’s ridiculous to limit viewing of a flagship species like this and to actively make paying zoo guests feel unwelcome in the zoo.

StoppableSan and twilighter like this.
  6. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I've not been to Copenhagen, but this does sound quite upsetting, I'm sorry you had to experience that. Does anyone know if the panda restaurant is run by the zoo, or contracted through a third party? If it is a third party, they might well not be happy with non-food-buying-guests (ie, to them, non-paying) coming in to view the animals, especially if they have contracted that space specifically for the panda-draw.

Shirokuma likes this.
  7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Tell you what, I'm glad not every zoo restaurant has an attitude like that given the fact I can think of a few collections which have massive oddities visible only from within their catering areas :p

8. Shirokuma

9. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

twilighter likes this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wishful thinking: seems all play fighting!

11. temp

temp Well-Known Member

No mating pandas (though the female apparently did the "present rump" that often happens before mating) but a male white rhino was born yesterday.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which of the 2 rhino cows has now calved (Minna og Zuri)?

Zorro likes this.
  13. Shirokuma

14. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. Jonas Bodingh

Jonas Bodingh Member

Friday morning at 07.10, the Zoo's male elephant died after a long illness. The male elephant Chang has been in treatment for a month and a half for a rare condition that has caused tissue death in a gland at the temple.

"We have always been optimistic about his chances of survival. On Monday, we thought we had reached a turning point because he had started eating again. But after such a long illness, the immune system has been weakened, and this has probably been the cause of the diarrhea that eventually made his body go into shock, ”says veterinarian Carsten Grøndahl about the course.

The autopsy will be performed at the ZOO and is expected to take six hours. The autopsy will be used both to determine the exact cause of death and to learn more about the rare disease. In addition, samples are taken for research, which are examined both on site and sent to international laboratories.

Chang was born and raised in Frederiksberg and has been lent to various zoos in Europe as a breeding male.

FACTS

Born in the Copenhagen Zoo on November 10, 1981 (38 years old)
    Lent to Odense Zoo, Chester Zoo in England, Le Pal Zoo in France and Planckendael Zoo in Belgium as a breeding male
    Father of 20 kids, 16 "grandchildren" and 3 "great-grandchildren"

Elephantelephant and Jungle Man like this.
  17. Jonas Bodingh

Jonas Bodingh Member

I hope that zoo can find new male elephant. I have a QUESTION, about the future, have someone see future exibith ? I Have heard about chinpancze outdoor exibith

18. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

They may not want a new elephant bull right away. Surin is pregnant and giving birth in the autumn, and maybe Kungrao or Maha Kumari are also pregnant (just my speculation).

StoppableSan and Jungle Man like this.
  19. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10 year old male chimp, Maadilli, moved to Edinburgh Zoo last week.

20. Blijdorpenaar

Blijdorpenaar Well-Known Member 5+ year member

An employee of the Copenhagen Zoo (@zookeeperguy on Insta) shared the fact that the innevitable COVID-19 reorganisation has taken effect, resulting in multiple zookeepers being let go.