Join our zoo community

Corporate Sponsorship of Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by SharkFinatic, 13 Nov 2018.

1. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Something that's been on my mind for a while, after reading David Grazian's book American Zoo: A Sociological Safari, is the subject of zoos and aquariums accepting donations from corporations whose business practices are generally considered environmentally harmful (especially fossil fuel companies like BP and ExxonMobil). Do you think that this conflicts with their mission of environmental stewardship, or accept it as a necessary evil in order for them to survive financially?

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I'm not a big reader and haven't read the book (or any for a lonnnnnng time), but I think it ties in with a concern that struck me a short time ago. Could zoos eventually be banned around the world and in their place, exist large parks sponsored by the companies that have largely decimated the natural habitat of the creatures they house?

Last edited: 14 Nov 2018
  3. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not a big expert on sponsorship or anything like that but in terms of supporting companies that damage wildlife the best example I can think of against this would be Chester Zoo, who cut all Nestle products from their shops and kiosks when they were suspended from the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil earlier this year. Suggests that some zoos at least are not scared to stand up to big business whose practices they don't support

4. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, I feel kind of iffy seeing oil companies sponsor aquariums. I know it's complicated though.

5. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm kinda torn. Generally I think its a good thing when good things are done with bad money. I think most people realize that companies try and greenwash
    so I'm kinda cool with it.
    Few such sponsorships are as ironic and hypocritical as this though

Monsanto Insectarium | Saint Louis Zoo

birdsandbats likes this.
  6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One of my favorite exhibit names, just for the irony.

The exhibit is great though, by far my favorite insect house.

Birdsage likes this.