Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens Cotswold Wildlife Park news 2010

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 7 Jan 2010.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Other recent births include
    2 sacred ibis
    2 black curassow
    1 blue winged kookaburra
    1 red bellied lemur
    2 yellow mongoose
    2 banded mongoose
    1 red handed tamarin

2. toucanwalk

toucanwalk Well-Known Member

They had the scarlet ibis nesting when I visited in August,no flamingos this year though,They have had a brood of ostrich chicks too,parent hatched.

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A female Tapir named Rio has or will be arriving from Marwell shortly as a mate for Gomez

4. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

A pair of clouded leopards have arrived at Cotswold Wildlife Park from Howletts Zoo.They occupy the Amur Leopard enclosure.The elderly female Amur leopard is in the small enclosure at the back of the original enclosure I believe but could not see her.
    Work has started on a giant anteater enclosure opposite the Tapir enclosure.The reindeer have been moved to the childrens area and the coscoba swans to the Tapir/capybara enclosure.The adjacent storks have also been moved.The peccary and
    warty pigs have been swapped over.The peccary group have now been reduced to 5.

5. kiang

Those darn giant anteaters are getting everywhere now ;)

6. kiang

According to facebook, a male giant anteater has arrived, with a female to join him soon from Germany.

7. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

This is great news!

And apparantly the pair of clouded leopards from Howletts are on show too.

8. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Rio went to Dublin instead, so I understand. I have seen the new tapir at the Cotswolds today and have been told she came from France.

9. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Sad news - Koife the giraffe has died

On my visit to the Cotswolds today I noticed that Koife was missing from the giraffe house. I asked the keeper where he was and was told that sadly he died early last week. Apparently, the post mortem revealed that he had suffered from the sudden death syndrome that affects some captive giraffes. He also had a heart murmur. Such a shame, especially as he has not been there very long.

10. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

That is sad news but there seems to be a few deaths amongst the UK captive population this year

11. kiang

A male Giant Anteater has joined the collection from Colchester Zoo. Zorio, a young male will soon be joined by a young female from Duisberg Zoo in Germany and they hopefully go on to become a successful breeding pair.

Our young pair of Clouded Leopards have recently gone on display. The Leopards, which arrived earlier in the year from Howletts in Kent are settling into their spacious exhibit near the Giraffe paddock

We are delighted to announce the birth of a Red Handed Tamarin. The youngster, born last month is doing well and growing daily.

Our group of African Openbill Storks have produced their second chick of the year. This rarely seen species can only be found at the Cotswold Wildlife Park and we are proud to have the first successful breeding of this bird in the UK. The new chick is currently being hand reared by our dedicated Bird team and will soon join its older brother in their winter accommodation.

Lifted from the parks website

12. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There aren't any in Africa anymore? That's news indeed!

(not to forget a couple of more zoos in Europe).

13. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

The white lipped peccaries have all moved away from Cotswold.One group to Dudley some time ago and another group to a new collection in southern Ireland.The Warty pigs
    now occupy the enclosure by the wolves with the reindeer in the larger wooded area.
    Three mara now occupy the old peccary enclosure.The area opposite the Tapir is still being developed for the giant anteaters.

14. jerseygorilla

jerseygorilla Well-Known Member

Does anybody know when they plan for the Anteaters to move into the enclosure

15. jerseygorilla

jerseygorilla Well-Known Member

Also, does anybody have any photos or information on the Tigers that were at the Park? If so could you please post them?

Thanks,

Jerseygorilla

16. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

As far as I can remember, they were 'Bengal' hybrid tigers, I only remember one, and the Asiatic lions live now where the tigers were kept.