Join our zoo community

Couple of questions about Colchester Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ajmcwhipsnade, 6 Dec 2013.

1. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It has been a long time since I have posted any questions on this site (except for one thing on a London zoo photo), but I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions?

Its been ages since I have been to my second favourite zoo, Colchester. I remember always being impressed with the Desert Life and Rainforest Life buildings near the old orang-utan enclosure (which has the sun bears in until there great looking new enclosure is finished). I was wondering do these two buildings still exist? I cant remember if they were there the last time I went!

also was wondering about a couple of the old big cat enclosures. Am I right in thinking the snow leopard enclosure (which had fossa and giant anteaters I think at various points) is part of the new sun bear enclosure and the new leopard enclosure includes the site of the old jaguar enclosure?

sorry for the long post!

thanks!

2. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

yes the rain forest and dessert house are now gone. the dessert house is now the discovery center. and there is a rain forest walk through just outside that houses south american species. the snow leopards are gone from the zoo and is now the new sun bear enclosure. the lions live in lion rock and the former jag housing is now the male amr leopard enclosure.

i would defo recommend a visit .:)

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Couple of questions......

The Dessert House must have been amazing; jelly, trifle, apple pie, ice cream.....

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Since i began visiting regularly again in 2001, the zoo has lost the following cats & other carnivores:
    Snow Leopard
    Jaguar
    Fishing cat
    Pallas cat
    Sand cat
    White Tiger
    Margay

Maned Wolf
    Dhole
    Fossa
    Common Seal
    Striped hyena
    Asiatic black bear

And gained :
    Amur Leopard
    Cheetah
    Sun Bear
    Smooth coated otter
    Amur Tiger- pure & not so
    The new species are great, but the net loss is not great and i hadn't realised how bad it was until recently!

5. ajmcwhipsnade

its a shame both houses have gone, for some reason as a family we all remember the sand cats in the desert house!

last time I was there was before the new orang enclosure, so I have seen the lion enclosure, I do like how close you can get to the animals. shame species such as the ocelots, fishing cats, fossa have gone, but i am looking forward to see how much it has changed.

the first time i went, i just remember being completely taken in by the place, i was only young but i loved how around every corner there was something hiding away to be discovered.

the first time i went i remember seeing a leopard, and i don't remember it being near the old babirusa enclosure as we had not done that part of the zoo yet. i do remember some work being done so maybe we went a different route or my memory fails me again!

6. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The new species are great, but the net loss is not great and i hadn't realized how bad it was until recently![/QUOTE]

I hadn't been though it is my local zoo for over 7 years and when i went last Friday I was amazed at all the species lost, i liked the manned wolf and Dhole as well as the sand cats and jag, they were always active when I went. I know the zoo is making great strides but the fossa's in Particular looked good alongside the lemurs, I did miss a chunk out due to time, but it had lost the old feel it once had, maybe I need to go more often. I still don't like the edge of Africa house it doesn't do anything for me inside. I hope the wildes of Asia house goes soon that has always smacked of an amature approach to displaying a multi species exhibit.

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Despite my observation, it's still a great zoo, i'd rate it comfortably top 5 of the UK zoos i've visited.

8. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To add to the list of lost carnivores:

Yellow, banded and dwarf mongooses
    White-nosed coati
    Ocelot (not sure when these left- they were replaced by the margay)
    Iberian wolves

9. banham.tiger

they still have coati they are just off show round the back of the leopard enclosure.;)

10. ajmcwhipsnade

Personally I like the kingdom of the wild and edge of Africa areas but different things appeal to different people!

the pallas cats were in the old binturong enclosure right? Am I right in thinking that they used to have blackbuck and axis deer near the old rhino house?

11. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They don't have the White-nosed Coati,it left to go to Paignton Zoo last year and has since died!

12. banham.tiger

they do because i saw it being walked on a leash last Saturday!;)

13. dean

They had black buck at the bottom of the zoo a long from the tigers at one point with limited viewing through a gate.
    Yes the sand cats were in the desert house. They also had pancake tortoises in the same house If my memory is correct. I really should remember a pen and paper when I zoo visit, I'm such an amateur at it.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2013
  14. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think some brown-nosed coatis arrived to be used in the animal theatre a few years ago; that could have been what you saw.

15. ajmcwhipsnade

really wish they had a guide book the first time I went, all they had was a map that is In very poor condition these days!

think they may have had coatis in the old brown bear enclosure when I last went. I remember seeing a black bear right up against the glass, they seemed big enclosures when I was small, but the new sun bear enclosure looks awesome.

16. dean

AW try ebay I sold all my old zoo guides on there a few years ago when money was tight, you may strike lucky for the dates you require.

On the subject of the map, the new map for the 50th anniversary isn't as informative as the one for the 40th, sadly now very out of date, though it does highlight how the place has changed.

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

In February 2013, if I recall correctly.

A shame, but at least I saw it first.

18. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lucky you, I visited six weeks (approximately) before you and it was off-show. I missed it by weeks! Damn you! :p