Join our zoo community

COVID-19 Vaccination - Personal experiences

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by TeaLovingDave, 16 Mar 2021.

?

Which vaccine have you had?

1. Pfizer

62.5%
  2. Astra-Zenica

13.5%
  3. Moderna

14.6%
  4. Johnson & Johnson

6.3%
  5. Other

3.1%
  1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Just on the way to get my CV-19 vaccination, and I thought that it might be interesting/helpful to create a thread so that I can post my experience with the jab, any after-effects and so forth :)

This would also be a good place for others on the forum to post their experiences as-and-when they are vaccinated themselves. Given the pertinent age groups I imagine a fair few of our number in the UK have already had theirs, in fact.

Either way, by posting in this thread hopefully I (and anyone else who wishes to post) can both set any worries people have to rest, and help mark what we all hope is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel!

CMP, Pootle, pipaluk and 4 others like this.
  2. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Extremely well organised, friendly staff, painless jab, very slightly sore arm.

Pootle, pipaluk, Mai Thai and 3 others like this.
  3. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

Had my jab yesterday afternoon, having got the call in the morning offering it. I think I was in the chair for jab for less than 30 seconds. I was asked a bunch of questions first and given a card with the name (AZ) & batch number on it, along with an information leaflet. The arm I had the jab in is now slightly sore and stiff around the shoulder area, which has only just happened. No other side effects so far.

pipaluk, devilfish and TeaLovingDave like this.
  4. TeaLovingDave

Which vaccine did you get? :) as this will be interesting info to keep track of too.

I may add a poll for this too.

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had my first vaccination with the Oxford & Astra Zeneca vaccine on March 10th. Like @Gigit and @WanderingDragon, I had just a minor stiffness in my left elbow and a slight feeling on tiredness the following day. The neighbours and family members that I have spoken to had similarly mild reactions to this vaccine.
    One of my neighbours, who is clinically vulnerable, was in one of the first groups to be vaccinated. Her doctor arranged for her to have the Pfizer vaccine as he thought there was less chance of an unpleasant reaction. I don't know whether this opinion has been justified by experience.
    I was very impressed by the organisation and efficiency of vaccination team at the local hospital, the car parking was signposted and marshalled, the queue was short and I only had to wait a couple of minutes. There were a few questions - I got a puzzled reaction when I said I was allergic to chloroform, so I explained that I became sensitive to it after using it in a lab many years ago - then it was jab, 'please take this card' and go. I did have to wait for 15 minutes before I could drive home; there was a separate waiting area for this and a nurse was checking that no-one was feeling unwell. But I was prepared with a book and my reading glasses. Jab #2 on 20th May :)

Pootle, pipaluk, devilfish and 3 others like this.
  6. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

First Jab, Pfizer on 16th Feb; very well organised system at a local health centre; my left arm has been playing up a little since lockdown, so if anything the arm has been better after the jab than before. No side effects whatsoever. No date as yet for jab two.

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I was Pfizered.

pipaluk, devilfish and TeaLovingDave like this.
  8. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

First vaccination (AstraZeneca) on 14th February. No side effects whatsoever except for a slightly sore arm which only lasted a couple of days.
    Second jab booked for 2nd May.

9. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Around 30 people have been vaccinated here - staff, family, volunteers, contractors etc. Those attending their own doctors surgery have had Pfizer, those going to a cattle-market the Oxford Zeneca.
    No-one having the Oxford Zeneca has had any side effects. Everyone having the Pfizer has had something; usually just a sore arm, but also immediate swelling of the tongue and mouth, also days of flu-like symptoms starting a couple of days after, with days in bed in one case.
    Those attending their own doctors have reported highly efficient, speedy processing. I personally had to go to a cattle-market as my own doctors would not answer the phone. Organised well enough but far too few actual 'injectors' for the number of bookings, resulting in long queues - 20 minutes in line to get in, 20 minutes seated waiting for the interview, 20 minutes seated waiting for the jab, then I had to wait because I was driving. All of the pre-positioned seats were less than 2m apart and the hall had all its windows and doors (save the entrance) closed, and I was inside it for nearly an hour and a half.
    I had to book my second jab to get the first, and this is at the same centre. I am trying to get the venue changed as I felt more vulnerable than I have at ANY stage since March 23rd 2020.

pipaluk, devilfish, MRJ and 2 others like this.
  10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

11. TeaLovingDave

I have now done this - so would those who have already replied to the thread please also vote in the poll?

@WanderingDragon
    @Gigit
    @gentle lemur
    @Tetzoo Quizzer
    @Tim May
    @Andrew Swales

Glad to hear you have all had pretty smooth experiences (with the jab itself at any rate) thus far!

Was a very painless injection itself - the least painless I have had other than the annual flu jab - and thus far (90 minutes on) I have only noticed mild aching developing in my upper arm, and a hot flush and bout of sweating which lasted about 15 minutes before subsiding. Second dose booked for June 1st 2021.

12. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I had the Pfizer jab on 13th Jan (I got it early for occupational reasons), as well as a sore arm I had shivers and and generally ached all over. The side effects began 24 hours after the jab and last about 24 hours. It wasn't too bad, fairly mild but I've heard the second jab has more of a reaction.
    I'm due my second jab on the 24th so I can more feedback then.

13. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Take comfort in the fact that these short-term side effects are just a sign of your immune system kicking in.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  14. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

I don't have personal experiences, because I mustn't vaccinated (I'm 15).
    My grandma(72) got the first jab of Sputnik V in Sunday, she had a sore arm and a little bad feeling (as a flu begins) for around a day. She's alright now.
    Hungarians are well-vaccinated (around 10 percent) because the government ordered Sputnik and Sinopharm besides Pfizer, Moderna, Astra and Janssen. I don't really like Viktor Orbán and the FIDESZ government, but in this case they 've done a good job.

15. TeaLovingDave

Update - I must have a very strong immune system; over the last few hours I have developed a strong headache, shivering, extreme fatigue and a stiff neck along with the aching arms! :p

Worth it though.

Pootle and Ned like this.
  16. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From the NHS website...

And from the GOV.UK website...

I'm afraid you're common as muck TLD :D:)

Fallax and TeaLovingDave like this.
  17. TeaLovingDave

Better common as muck than buried six feet into the muck :D so I'm happy to have any side-effects that come my way!

Benosaurus likes this.
  18. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Personal experience of covid vaccination? Haha. Ask me maybe in Sep-Oct earliest despite being in risk group (our country sucks at this).

Tusker likes this.
  19. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Reading on the BBC website this morning, apparently more likely to have more serve reaction the younger you are, something to look forward to then.

Vaccine side effects: My experience of them and what they mean

Second to last priority group here, best hope is I get it sometime in June (feels miles away).

20. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

One of our keepers has just been called up for a jab on this coming Saturday. She is not in any risk group and is 33, so locally at least they seem to be rattling through them...

pipaluk likes this.