Join our zoo community

COVID-19 Vaccination - Personal experiences

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by TeaLovingDave, 16 Mar 2021.

?

Which vaccine have you had?

1. Pfizer

62.5%
  2. Astra-Zenica

13.5%
  3. Moderna

14.6%
  4. Johnson & Johnson

6.3%
  5. Other

3.1%
  1. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes it was like that in Australia too. Our Prime Minister told us "it wasn't a race" which of course it wasn't till Delta took off. Now all sorts of deals are taking place. Plus they managed to bad mouth AZ (which is made here) so we have lots of a vaccine people won't take (note I am vaccinated with AZ)

Zoofan15, ThylacineAlive and Maguari like this.
  2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

A mistake made in some European countries as well but they have mostly managed to undo the worst of it thankfully. That's one mistake that was actually avoided in Britain - basically through our unbounded capacity for automatic nationalistic pride regardless of the justification. This is often one of the worst things about the country to my mind, but for once it was very helpful here. After all, we couldn't possibly talk down a vaccine partly developed at Oxford University on such flimsy evidence, could we..? ;)

Mr. Zootycoon and MRJ like this.
  3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Where are these figures from and they include entire population or just adults?

As fully vaccinated adults is higher than that figure (80% I think) and last week they were up to 40% in giving one jab to 16 & 17 year olds in the UK.

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

64% sounds about right for our full population percentage; percentage of adults is much higher as you say.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

This site is useful
    COVID-19 vaccine rollout: charts, maps and eligibility by country

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

upload_2021-9-4_8-19-54.png

Zoofan15 likes this.
  7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

In larger countries such as the U.S. the national numbers are meaningless. Some states, some cities, have vaccination rates above 90% while other areas are closer to 35%.

ThylacineAlive and MRJ like this.
  8. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah AZ has a bad rap in New Zealand too. New Zealand decided we’d use it to vaccinate everyone; then jumped onboard the Pfizer ship last minute (putting us at the back of the queue) and donated a bunch of our unwanted AZ to Fiji. Everyone got upset about New Zealand giving away our vaccine, until they realised it was just the AZ we didn’t want.

I don’t claim to have done any in depth research into the vaccines and their pros or cons, but the majority of the world seem to be getting the Pfizer vaccine and it’s the preferred choice for my age group, so it’s the one I wanted.

9. Someokapinextdoor

Someokapinextdoor Well-Known Member

I didn't post here yet, so...

I'm a German Moderna hipster and got my shots in mid-June and late-July at a glorious German Impfzentrum. I was fascinated by the different-coloured vests the helpers were wearing. The reactions to the first shot were unspectaculat, tiredness and a sore arm. The second thot made me feel a weird combination of hungover and trippy about a day afterwards, but a day later, it was gone.

Germany reached the stage where you need to beg people to get their vaccine around the time I got my second shot. We Germans still love our FFP2-masks (to show the public that we still take this seriously), but other than that,most people have no patience anymore to endure any other restrictions. Incidences are growing slower than in most other Western European countries but my Excel spreadsheet shows that we're potentially in for a hard winter. Except if it turns out that Delta does not like the cold. Which is not impossible.

10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

As mentioned previously, I had my first COVID-19 vaccination in mid February and my second in early May. (Both the first and second vaccinations used the Astra-Zeneca vaccine.)

Today I had the booster jab; this time the Pfizer vaccine was used. Eight hours later, I have experienced no side-effects whatsoever.

Pootle, TeaLovingDave, MRJ and 2 others like this.
  11. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Most people I know who have had Pfizer (including myself), have at least had a sore arm - usually to the point where you can't lift your arm above shoulder height.

Typically day 2 is the worst, so give it some time and report back tomorrow.

12. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've had three Pfizer jabs, the first had the worst side effects, the second jab had mild side effects the third none other than a sore arm.

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Excellent; in theory I'd be eligible for my booster jab at the end of this month, but since my first two jabs they have slashed (even moreso than before) the number of asthmatics eligible for inclusion in Group 6, and I no longer qualify..... so I strongly suspect I will be left hanging.

14. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I lost my vaccination record…

15. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The inevitable sore arm developed after my comment yesterday (although it's no worse than the sore arm after the Astra-Zeneca vaccination).

Apart from a sore arm, twenty-four hours after the Pfizer vaccination, I've still experienced no other side-effects.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My experience has been very like the one @Tim May has described. Two days ago I had a Pfizer booster, after double Astra/Zeneca vaccinations in spring. I had no immediate reaction, but the injection site was rather tender after about 12 hours. It is virtually back to normal now.

17. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Yesterday a Pfizer booster, following Pfizer first and second (and COVID in August - three days of bad flu, no long term effects). Today a very slight soreness in the arm, essentially only when in an odd position. Tomorrow, a flu jab; it is certainly inverted hedgehog time!

HungarianBison and MRJ like this.
  18. felis silvestris

felis silvestris Well-Known Member

I got mine about a month ago. Since I'm only a young teenager, I didn't get any side effects but a bit of sore arm. I'm also a bit of a wimp so I was pretty scared before getting it lol

wstefan likes this.
  19. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Got my booster today - anyone eligible in the UK can go on the NHS website and book directly rather than waiting to be contacted now, which is what I did. Third Pfizer jab and currently I have a very mildly sore arm. The second jab gave me a day of exhaustion, so I am hoping I can avoid that this time, but whatever happens, it is still better than getting Covid. And given the amount of Covid in the school where I teach, I am grateful for all the protection I can get.

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I've now had my booster - a Pfizer jab, to go with my existing pair of AstraZeneva jabs :p so far, minor aching in my arm (intensifying when clothing touches my arm, so I am wearing quite a baggy jumper!) and a splitting headache.