Join our zoo community

Creating the Rembrandt Park Zoo (a fantasy project of mine)

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Austin the Sengi, 1 Nov 2021.

1. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

Well everyone. I suppose that one of you could say that after going through several changes for the description, species lists, general research, and finally, the overall layout that this project has been extensively going through for the past year and a half. I am more than excited to present to you all, the first of what I will call the “Big Three” fantasy zoological institutions that I have made, and designed throughout mid to late 2021. Now before I get into all of the descriptions and species lists for each exhibit. I should also address that due to the daily hassles of school, travel, other ZooChat projects, and of course, life itself. The overall timing schedule for posting each new exhibit, will be more sporadic than other fantasy zoo projects, at least, in terms of the time it takes between each one. But with all of that being said and done, I will now begin this thread (in the next post), by going through, and explaining to you, the main entrance and its main plaza, along with the description of the first exhibit, for in which that area is specifically listed as the *Lorikeet Jungle*.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2021
    Sphenisciologist, Moone and OkapiFan like this.
  2. Austin the Sengi

Settled amongst the luscious city park of the same name, for which itself, is a massive green space that is nestled near the downtown area of the fictional city of Glarevissck, (Glehr-hiss-ick). It is a zoological institution that covers approximately 107 acres of parkland in size, and it is also an institution that strives to display, breed, and help protect a widely diverse array of flora and fauna from around the world.

Beginning this tour, and from the very moment that you first enter the zoo, the very first thing that guests will witness is of course, the main entrance itself. Just like most zoos these days, the overall design of the zoo’s main entrance was designed, and utilized to be both modern, and environmentally conscious in terms of both of its architecture, as well as its overall purpose. But soon afterward, you begin to approach closer to the entrance itself and eventually, you are permitted to walk past the entry turnstiles, and from this point forward, you could easily tell yourself in your mind, that you are now officially inside of the Rembrandt Park Zoo itself.

Now before I describe both the *Lorikeet Jungle* exhibit, and the main entry plaza in some detail for you all. I just want to say that aside from comments that someone like myself would consider negative and/or offensive, all other comments, and possibly good advice are welcome here on this thread.

3. OkapiFan

OkapiFan Well-Known Member

This is really good so far!!

Austin the Sengi likes this.
  4. Austin the Sengi

Well @OkapiFan, I’m just more than happy to see people like you that are already appreciating this project so far.

OkapiFan likes this.
  5. Moone

Moone Well-Known Member

good job!
    I would recommend(lol sry for mispelling) adding some plants that are parrot safe and that lorikeets would find in their wild habitat.

6. Moone

Moone Well-Known Member

Plants like:
    Grevilleas
    Bottlebrushes
    Banksias
    that have nectar and that r from there habitat- oh and idk if they r birb safe or not- except bottlebrush

7. Moone

Moone Well-Known Member

Imo u should add a lot of plants they like, with some empty spaces near the front(with branches/perches) and also always have 1 or 2 nectar/sugar water bowls(say one near the front and one near some shaded areas), Maybe a smol shallow pond/stream thing(like just deep enough so their feet, maybe a little above them can be submerged with rocks they can stand on them) if u do end up adding a little stream it would be nice if there was 2-3 small shaded parts :)
    thats all i have rn cant wait for ur blueprint/description or whatever ur going to show us :D

8. Austin the Sengi

After you have entered through the turnstiles and made it through security. The next stop on our tour is actually an area that you are standing on right now. For it is here that you are now in a large, outdoor, plaza-like area that is officially known as the “Conservation Commons”. It is here that you and other visitors are able get themselves a bite to eat at the *Commissary Creatures* counter-service restaurant, use the restrooms, shop at the *All Things Wild* gift shop, take some pictures, or if necessary, to get some extra help and assistance at the nearby *Gateway Center* Guest Relations building. While there are no live animal exhibits in this part of the zoo, adjacent to the plaza’s exit, there lies ahead, the next stop on our tour. For in which, it is a large, open-topped, outdoor pond that is usually a year-round home to an all-female trio of 0.3.0 Australian Pelicans, several breeding groups of both 5.5.0 Wandering Whistling Ducks and 3.4.0 Australian Shelducks, a single post-reproductive pair of 1.1.0 Pacific Black Ducks, as well as a variety of wild, and native waterfowl that are oftentimes attracted to the enclosure, via leftover scraps food from the feeding dishes that the keepers usually leave out only for the captive birds. Now even though these native birds such as Mallards, and some other notable species, consider the zoo as a safe haven from predators and other perceived threats. It is best that all guests should easily restrain themselves from feeding both these wild birds, as well as all other native animals whatsoever, no matter how cute or hungry-looking the animal might be.

After leaving the Pelican enclosure behind us, and turning slightly towards the right. We have now arrived at the first, of the nine total major exhibit complexes that I will be describing for you in detail throughout the course of this thread. But of course, it is best that we begin to enter the aviary with not only excitement, but also with an overall understanding of how I will describe the area as a whole. But now, let us begin:

LORIKEET JUNGLE: - (two exhibits)

Entering right through the double-door system that helps to separate the birds and reptiles (indeed, I said reptiles) from the outside world. Your mind will soon start to wonder if this 90,000 sq ft aviary is actually a small slice of a real jungle placed in the heart of Rembrandt Park. But in fact, this is the overall result of the zoo’s horticultural team that have strived to convince you, and other visitors that you are within an actual Australian Rainforest. Each of the plants that you see in this aviary, were all carefully planted, and selected to be both bird and reptile-safe, (thank you @Moone for the helpful suggestion), along with each one being at least native to the exact same regions where the birds naturally occur in the wild, with plants such as Grevilleas, Banksias, Bottlebrushes and much more being found, and planted all across the entire free-flight aviary itself. Like most lorikeet exhibits in zoos, Rembrandt Park’s lorikeet exhibit is an interactive experience where guests of all ages are able to walk inside, as well as to (optionally), buy as many as two popsicle sticks per person, (I will explain this detail further below). Of course, the exhibit itself would not be called the *Lorikeet Jungle* without it being the home up to three species of lorikeet and one species of lory, for in which all of them are individually listed below, as seen here:

• - 7.7.0 Rainbow Lorikeet
    • - 6.4.0 Black-Capped Lory
    • - 6.6.0 Coconut Lorikeet
    • - 5.6.0 Yellowish-Streaked Lorikeet
    • - 5.5.0 Pied Imperial Pigeon
    • - 3.3.0 Radjah Shelduck
    • - 2.2.0 Masked Lapwing

In addition to the birds that are listed above, the main lorikeet aviary also contains a (somewhat), unique concept of allowing a small, but still sizable bachelor group of 9.0.0 Eastern Water Dragons to freely roam throughout the main aviary itself, as well as a large, shallow pond that can suitably satisfy the needs of the shelducks, as well as being the home to a sizable breeding group of 3.5.0 Kreft’s River Turtles, as well as a smaller group of the more threatened 2.3.0. Branderhorst’s Snapping Turtles.

Going back to the popsicle sticks that I mentioned earlier, this is mainly due to the fact that some guests, (such as small children), may oftentimes mishandle the little metal cups that are filled with sticky nectar that other zoos give out to their guests, so in response of not making the same mistakes as these other zoos have been facing. Our facility has always resorted to only using popsicle sticks with a special powdered nectar on one tip of each stick, for as long as the exhibit has been open to the general public. Now before you exit out of the main aviary, and the overall *Lorikeet Jungle* exhibit complex as a whole, there is also a separate aviary that is far smaller in size, but yet it is still a luscious enclosure, for in which it is currently home to an already experienced, breeding pair of 1.1.0 Blue-Winged Kookaburras.

(8 bird taxa)
    (3 reptile taxa)

Soon after leaving the *Lorikeet Jungle*, you begin to notice that the path in front of you, has already split into two separate directions, with the path straight ahead of you leading towards the *Swan Pond*, and the *Wetlands Walk* exhibit areas, while the path that takes you to your left will take you closer towards the next stop on our tour; so definitely stay tuned for as the next time that we will be touring the zoo, the next exhibit complex that we will encounter is the all-indoor, *Amphibian Ark Conservation Center*, also known as the “AACC”.

9. Randomname0183

Randomname0183 Well-Known Member

This looks remarkably good so far

10. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Faboo!!!

11. Moone

Moone Well-Known Member

Oh i got an idea but idk if one of the two animals is legal or not-
    Egyptian plover and crocs!
    idk tho
    lol the guests would be terrified when they c the plover go into the mouth of the croc
    its a symbiotic relationship ;)

12. Austin the Sengi

Well @Moone, even though I really do enjoy this proposed concept of yours, the truth is that while the zoo will display Nile Crocodiles, (I will explain this later in a future post). I’m just going to tell you now that the zoo will not display any Egyptian Plovers whatsoever.

13. Moone

Moone Well-Known Member

Ok it was just and idea :)
    but its ur zoo, so its ok lol

14. Moone

Moone Well-Known Member

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  15. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

lol same, I’ve been planning to do a fantasy zoo since August (I naturally have not gotten round to it, me being me)

16. Moone

Moone Well-Known Member

lol

17. Austin the Sengi

Eventually, after walking about for a short distance from where we have left off at; you will begin to notice that on your left, there is a somewhat large, all-indoor building that suddenly attracts your attention with not only a life-sized, bronze statue of one of the building’s main attractions, (more details will be described down below), but also the overall size, and scale of main the building itself will make you think that this area is just another typical reptile house. But you will be pleasantly surprised to learn that this building alone, is actually the home to a rather impressive collection of amphibians, (and three notable species of fish as well); but now let us properly begin this next portion of the tour:

AMPHIBIAN ARK CONSERVATION CENTER: (AACC) - (22 exhibits)

After both opening, and walking through the doors that lead you directly into the main building; the first thing that you will notice is a large, educational mural that gives guests a simple, yet informative description about the dangerous threats that the majority of amphibians worldwide are directly facing at this very moment, which should hopefully increase your awareness for these rather slimy, yet still spectacular creatures. Not too far away from the end of the mural, the first enclosure that guests will encounter within the building is a small, but spacious, walled-in terrarium that currently contains a diminutive group of 0.0.17 Splashback Poison Dart Frogs. Further down the one-way path that the building uses, the next two walled-in, aquarium-style enclosures that guests will come across are all individually home to a single species of aquatic animal. With the former being home to a group of 0.0.8 Mexican Axolotls, while the latter aquarium is home to one of the few non-amphibian species that can be found displayed within the main building, which in this case, are a large, but not overstocked, group of the critically endangered 0.0.20 Tequila Splitfins. Leaving the two aquariums behind, and making a slight turn to your left, the next thing that you will come across is not an exhibit, but rather, a small interactive, education area (that for the time being), is currently roped off from guests due to precautionary health procedures; although we do have plans to reopen this section by the end of this month, if all goes well. Across this education area, however, there is also a small, cylindrical-shaped paludarium that is currently home to not only a sizable surplus group of 0.0.18 Striped Newts, but also an unaccountable, breeding group of unspecified Minnows that were placed in the same enclosure as the newts as an easy source of food. After leaving the paludarium behind, and making a turn to your right, you will later approach an identical set of four large, spacious, and well-stocked, walled-in terrariums and a single aquarium that all individually contain a single species of amphibian. With the first being home to some 0.0.10 Vietnamese Mossy Frogs, the second a group of 0.0.5 Solomon Island Leaf Frogs the next, a group of 0.0.11 Marbled Salamanders, the next a single individual 0.1.0 Banded Bullfrog, and finally, a single breeding pair of 1.1.0 Greater Sirens. Leaving each of these five enclosures behind and walking straight toward, you have now approached the buildings’ largest exhibit in terms of both size, and overall attention draw; although it is mainly because of the fact that this large semi-enclosed, enclosure is the home to a very special trio of 1.2.0 Japanese Giant Salamanders, which are unofficially, the buildings’ star attractions. After admiring and (probably) searching for the aforementioned giant salamanders, you eventually leave them behind and not too long afterwards, you will later approach a trio of walled-in terrariums which, as usual, all individually contain a single species of amphibian. First a small group of 0.0.4 Splendid Tree Frogs, the second, a sizable breeding group of 0.0.19 Titicaca Water Frogs, and finally, a single breeding pair of 1.1.0 Fowler’s Toads. Eventually however, if you look directly on your left, there is a chance for guests to get an inside look on how the zoo is a leading successor in amphibian conservation; because directly on the other side of a large plexiglass panel, there is a large room with several portable racks of terrariums that are always home to a variety of different breeding groups from several species. Also in the same room, there is also a few educational signage, along with a mostly smaller, separate room that some of the staff will occasionally use from time to time that is directly next door. After you leave the two staff areas behind, and are nearly approaching the buildings’ exit doors. You will find that located on your right side, it is there that you will find not only more educational signage that explains about the crisis of amphibian extinction, but also a series of walled-in terrariums that contain the most amount of amphibian species than any of the other walled-in terrariums that we have already covered before. With the first, and largest of these enclosures being the home to a pair of 1.1.0 American Bullfrogs, a sizable breeding group of 0.0.22 Pumpkinseed Sunfish, and finally; an even larger breeding group of unspecified Minnows. The second being home to a single 0.1.0 Aquatic Caecilian, the third being the home to a large breeding group of 0.0.29 Kihansi Spray Toads, the fourth being home a small group of 0.0.10 Blue Poison Dart Frogs, the fifth containing a surplus group of 0.0.17 Green Salamanders; and finally a small aquarium that contains a small, but still sizable breeding group of 0.0.40 Twig Catfish. Eventually, after you make a slight turn to your left and shortly before you leave the building. You will find that not too far from the exit doors, there is a trio of walled-in terrariums that each contain the last three inhabitants that you will encounter inside of the main building. With the first being a half-cylindrical enclosure for a group of 0.0.8 Lemur Tree Frogs, while the second and third terrariums each contain 0.0.16 Northern Red Salamanders in the former, and finally, 0.0.5 Mississippi Gopher Frogs in the latter enclosure.

(4 fish taxa)
    (20 amphibian taxa)

Soon after you walk out of the building, and head back outdoors, you will notice that adjacently across from the building’s exit, there is an interactive, outdoor play area simply called the *Amphibi-Play*, along with a small, wildlife-certified, shallow pond that serves a safe refuge for native species of fish, invertebrate, the occasional songbird or two, and of course, amphibians. Now before this specific part of the tour comes to a close, I should also mention about the presence of the zoo’s oldest exhibit that is directly placed in a subtle location between the *Amphibi-Play!* play area, as well as the next stop on our tour; for in which the space in between the two that I am referring to, is the exhibit that is seen and listed below:

MONKEY ISLAND: - (1 exhibit)

As you begin to approach closer towards the island, and away from the *AACC* complex. You will suddenly notice a small, educational sign that is strategically placed across from one of the exhibits’ main vantage points. With its main purpose being an educational reminder of the zoo’s historic past, and also how the islands’ overall appearance, and inhabitants that have lived there, have changed over the years for as long as the exhibit has remained standing. Like most exhibits of its kind, it is a rather simple oval-shaped island that also comes with several elevated climbing structures, lots of planted foliage, as well as a waist-deep moat that intentionally separates you from the islands’ simian inhabitants. Although the individual primates that live here on the island, are seemingly more shy in personality than some other individual monkeys that live in other zoos; It is still more than likely to look out for, and to find the zoos’ family troop of 1.5.1 Colombian Spider Monkeys. In addition to the monkeys, the exhibit’s moat is also the home, and are always guarded by a single, well-experienced breeding pair of 1.1.0 Black-Necked Swans as well.

(1 mammal taxa)
    (1 bird taxa)

From this point onward, the majority of the following exhibits that I will be describing for you all, are all based on a continent and a certain biome/region for in which that said region is well-known for; so the next time that we will be touring the zoo, the next exhibit complex that we discover will be *Destination Madagascar*.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2021
  18. OkapiFan

OkapiFan Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic!!!

19. Just an ordinary guy

Just an ordinary guy Well-Known Member

Amazing!

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  20. Austin the Sengi

Well everyone, as of right now it seems, the overall design, layout, and story-driven parts of *Destination: Madagascar* are currently in the developing stage, (although the species list that will be used in this complex has already been finished for I suppose, the past few weeks or so). However, I also wanted to address that if anyone that has been following this thread so far have any ideas and/or advice for this new exhibit. I will be more than happy to accept, and consider each of these said ideas and I’ll see on what I can do about them, once the project is close to nearing completion.

Bengal Tiger and OkapiFan like this.