Join our zoo community

Crocodilia Offspring in Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 9 Aug 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

That is great news for Europe and also for the world. Hopefully all will survive.
    This is a more like a prow, that greater dedication will certainly give a result, like this small in-building zoo, which would mean that if other zoos holding this species were very dedicated to do this, they will certainly succed in this? :)

2. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As a matter of interest how far away from the equator are crocodiles/alligators be kept in zoos with outside enclosures? Both Chinese and American Alligator live in areas exposed to at least some cold weather (especially Chinese) and in South Africa Nile crocs semi-hibernate during the coldest months. I would think at least these 3 could be kept outside in southern Europe at least during the summer months.

3. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Certainly yes, and even longer in more extremely southern places of Southern Europe (e.g., Crete in Greece). Even in my living town of Prilep (41.20 northern latitude), the average low temperatures are: July 16 (average high 29), August 14-15, June 13, September 12, in degrees Celsius, which are not low, and in Athens, Greece the average lows are 23-24 for July and August, 19.5-21 for June and September, 16 for May and October, and 12 (11.7) for April and November, which means that crocodiles can be kept at least 4 months completely outdoor in Southern Europe below 40 northern latitude (with exception of high altitudes (over 900 m), logicaly) and be placed indoor only in exceptionall wheather conditions which occurs so rarely in warmer months.

The warmest period in my living town is from June 10 to August 15 (with at least 15 days of this period will have maximum of 35 or higher, and 1-3 days will exceed 40 degrees), although there are several other places in Macedonia with warmer climate (daily maximum regularly exceeding 35 deg C) than my living town situated at 600 m above sea level.

Last edited: 6 May 2017
  4. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Actually, warm summer temperature in Europe is only the winter temperature in habitat of most crocodilians. Crocodiles in these exhibits may be chronically under-heated.

I would hesitate to call temperate outdoor exhibits of crocodiles, giant tortoises and monitor lizards an improvement. And the record of breeding in such exhibits is very spotty - giant tortoises, actually, practically never lay eggs in Europe or temperate North America, although they have been the standard exhibit for decades.

5. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe the Melbourne Zoo have bred Philippines Crocodiles, the details however I am unsure of.

6. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A couple of years ago ten Siamese crocodile hatchlings from the Detroit Zoo were sent to St. Augustine to be prepared for return to the wild. I don't know what happened after that.