Join our zoo community

Dallas World Aquarium Dallas World Aquarium Species List and Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by CMP, 28 Jan 2022.

1. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

A month ago, on December 27, 2021, I visited the renowned Dallas World Aquarium, privately owned and AZA accredited, in downtown Dallas, Texas. I will attempt to detail as in-depth a description and species list as I can.

While most reading this will already be aware of the facility, I will preface this by saying the name itself is a bit of a misnomer. As has been said before, it isn't particularly representative of the world, heavily focusing on neotropical birds, with a fine selection of many rare mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and fish present. Most of DWA isn't really an aquarium in the traditional sense either, with the gallery being relegated to the basement of the large tropical rainforest halls.
    This is made clearer by looking at the 6 main sections of the facility: Borneo, The Orinoco Rainforest, Cloud Forest Trek, The Aquarium, Africa, and Mundo Maya. The Orinoco Rainforest and Mundo Maya are the largest and perhaps the most impressive, but the entire building maintains a high level of emersion and well thought-out design. The level of rare species and the engaging exhibits all within a city block is most impressive.

A major criticism of DWA is that in cramming a single building chock-full of animal species and exhibits, some of the enclosures end up as the bare minimum size or smaller. It is the payoff for the high level of diversity, but there are also improvements seeming to be made.

Another criticism is that the signage is very incomplete. That is certainly the case after changes were made for covid. The 'touch-screens' are no longer touchable, rather they rotate through unnecessary footage of the exhibit directly in front of you, and then proceed to show a QR code or perhaps a single animal name. Luckily, the QRs are simply linked to the website, so there is no need to wait around for the 10-second windows the QR codes are shown for. Unfortunately, this means that all of the signage is woefully incomplete, as most of the signage at DWA will just be what is listed on the website. There is also a very well-made, albeit outdated, guidebook that every guest receives with the purchase of a ticket. There are some additional species listed here, not present on the online signage. To make matters more confusing, there are many more species readily seen within the various enclosures that are listed in neither!
    As such, I will record all the species I saw, as well as all the species signed online and in the guidebook for the exhibit, although both of these will likely be outdated.
    Overall, the signage issue was frustrating in that it meant it was hard to tell if you were missing anything from particular exhibits. However, it also made it more rewarding when you saw an unexpected plate-billed mountain toucan or great tinamou. Along with the exhibit design and immersion, DWA provided the closest experience to looking for animals in a tropical rainforest of any zoological institution I have been to.

Needless to say, despite some of the criticisms, Dallas World Aquarium is well worth a visit. I certainly enjoyed mine, and would certainly love to return, especially to see if I could find any of the species I missed.

I will now go over each main section of the aquarium. I took pictures of every exhibit (at least that I was aware of), so I hope to make this thread a very visual experience as well. The first section I will go over, another odd name choice, is 'Borneo'.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2022
    twilighter, robbare, TinoPup and 9 others like this.
  2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just want to note it's not technically a single building. It's made up of a bunch of warehouses that the owner has bought over time as they've come available.

3. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

BORNEO

Map from the Guidebook

Before even paying for admission, guests are treated to a winding pathway up to the second floor with 12 interesting exhibits on the sides, collectively called 'Borneo'. Like much else at DWA, the name isn't quite accurate, but the theme here is mostly Australasian animals from the Malay archipelago, with an African exhibit with shoebills and another for fairy penguins at the end.

You enter DWA from beneath an overhang as shown in the post above. The entrance and the rest of the walkway are lushly planted, but the tan rockwork, cave aesthetic, and low black metal railings on each side of the pathway prevent it from being a fully immersive experience, although it is still visually appealing.

Photo by @geomorph of entry path

At the start of the pathway, two employees were making sure visitors had proper face masks and were directed to the ticketing within. The staff were overall very efficient and did their job well. At least during my visit, everyone had a mask on properly, and I was rather impressed with that after a very different experience in a Kroger in Arkansas and the Bass Pro Pyramid in Memphis.

The pathway winds past a switchback until in view is the excellent exhibit that contained a Bird of Paradise, Pesquet's Parrot, and Wompoo Fruit Doves.

1. Bird of Paradise, Pesquet's Parrot, and Wompoo Fruit-Dove exhibit
    Species seen in exhibit:
    Green-naped Pheasant Pigeon, Wompoo Fruit Dove, Lesser bird-of-paradise, Pesquet’s Parrot

The first half of the viewing was behind a pane of glass embedded into the rockwork. It was well planted on the inside, with mock trees and vines near the top of the enclosure being a favorite perching spot for the avian inhabitants. Nearly out of view and at the top of the central tree was a Bird of Paradise. The natural lighting from directly above it and the angle made photography slightly difficult, but I was thrilled to see the first BoP I remember. (I vaguely recall the enclosures but not the inhabitants from SDZ).

Before this enclosure, through bamboo stalks, the Palm Cockatoo enclosure can be seen. However, as shown on the map, the path winds back around, past the first BoP exhibit viewing described above, to a pane of glass that allows for better viewing for the Palm Cockatoos. The enclosure was nicely furnished and the birds were active and noisy. The amount of moc rock without foliage in the back does give off more of a cave impression than I would find aesthetically pleasing, but that is nitpicking at this point.

2. Palm Cockatoo enclosure
    Species seen in enclosure: Palm Cockatoo

The path bends past this enclosure back towards the BoP exhibit, where this side is viewed through mesh as the glass stops halfway through the front end of the exhibit. On my second walkthrough, the Pesquet's parrot was putting on a show by climbing on the mesh on this side of the exhibit.

On the other side of the pathway is a very similar enclosure to the Palm Cockatoo's. The Red-Tailed Black Cockatoo exhibit is less nicely furnished in comparison to their neighbors, and is a bit smaller as well. The glass viewing and bamboo barriers are also carried over.

3. Red-tailed Black Cockatoo enclosure
    Species seen in enclosure: Red-tailed Black Cockatoo

4. Rhinoceros Hornbill and Great Argus enclosure
    Species seen in enclosure: Rhinoceros Hornbill, Great Argus

This next enclosure sits along the path and a long row of tall bamboo poles without windows which act as the barrier. There is more substrate present in this enclosure, for the pair of Argus Pheasants down below, but they don't have the most floor space. The hornbill was on a high branch perch. With there only being thick bamboo pillars, photography of the inhabitants is difficult.

The densely planted area opens up and a series of small bridges go over a koi pond. On the corner, there is another bamboo and glass exhibit.

5. Bali Mynah enclosure
    Species seen in enclosure: Bali Mynah

This is a small exhibit with much glare from its positioning next to the Blyth's Hornbill exhibit. It is small and fairly barren, with the Mynahs perched in a top corner on some ropes and branches.

Across a small bridge and section of water, is the next exhibit.

6. Blyth's Hornbill and Western Crowned Pigeon exhibit
    Species seen in enclosure: Blyth’s Hornbill, Western Crowned Pigeon

Similar to the BoP exhibit, this one is nicely planted, large, and contains high perches. It provided enjoyable viewing for this rarely held hornbill species. There was adequate floor space and vegetation for the Crowned Pigeons, which I regrettably did not take any pictures or much note of, mistaking it for the much more common Victoria's Crowned Pigeon which is also held in an enclosure right across from this one. Still, seeing one come out of the foliage left enough of an impression that I could retroactively list it. For this enclosure, it is a single large mesh screen in the front. It can be clearly seen from the image how these enclosures are open to the street behind from the bamboo poles in the back.

As seen at the very bottom of the image, in front of the Hornbills there is a medium-sized fish tank, the first one in this 'Aquarium'.

7. Asian Arowana, Zebra Archerfish, and Australian lungfish tank
    Species seen in enclosure:
    Asian Arowana, Zebra Archerfish (Toxotes Blythii), Australian Lungfish

I've imbedded the best but still suboptimal image I had of the tank, as there are surprisingly no others that I could find of it in the gallery. Despite considerable glare, this tank contains some nice species and Lungfish and Arowana are enjoyable to watch. It was well aquascaped with many logs and plants around the tank with a pebble substrate. It is also undoubtedly overshadowed by all of the bird exhibits, and most guests only shed a quick glance.

Continuing past another bridge, over more of the koi pond beneath, is another hornbill exhibit. It is very similar to the one for the Rhinocerous Hornbill, but smaller, not leaving much room for the crowned pigeons on the ground.

8. Great Indian Hornbill and Victoria Crowned Pigeon Enclosure
    Great Indian Hornbill, Victoria Crowned Pigeon

Directly next to the ticketing booth is the last of the bamboo-barrier exhibits. It featured yet another Hornbill, this time a Great Indian, as well as some foliage and ferns down below for the Crowned Pigeons.

After walking over one last pond area, visitors finally arrive at the ticketing booth. That's right, everything described thus far comes before admission is even paid, meaning one could come through for free up to this point. I took advantage of this and came back around a second time after exiting the aquarium to look around some more. I suspect this is done for the long lines that the Aquarium normally has later in the day, although I did not have that problem as I went early in the morning. The array of interesting species from New Guinea and beyond was exceptional. I enjoyed the whole portion and it definitely set the mood and raised the excitement for the rest of the experience.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2022
  4. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

BORNEO PT. 2

At the ticketing booth, I scanned the timed online ticket from my phone. I had arrived a few minutes early for the 9:00 entry, but I was let in and given a complementery Guidebook without trouble.

Across from the ticketing booth were two glass enclosures for Mastchie’s Tree Kangaroo.

9. Mastchie's Tree Kangaroo Enclosure 1
    Species seen in enclosure: Mastchie’s Tree Kangaroo

Photo by @geomorph of Tree Kangaroo Enclosure 1

The enclosures provided enjoyable viewing but only really consisted of jumble of branches. The curved glass windows provided good views into both enclosures.

10. Mastchie's Tree Kangaroo Enclosure 2
    Species seen in enclosure: Mastchie’s Tree Kangaroo

The second enclosure was also slightly larger. In both exhibits, the tree kangaroos were fairly active, and I did enjoy the up-close viewings of such fascinating and adorable creatures.

11. Shoebill Exhibit
    Species seen in enclosure: Shoebill, Yellow Bill Hornbill, Venezuelan Troupial

This was one of the exhibits that I most wanted to see at DWA since I had only seen Shoebills once at Tampa long ago. While being very small, it was lushly planted and provided good viewing of the two Shoebills. The exhibit is one large circle, with a netted roof and barriers, one of which is viewable and points outwards into the Africa courtyard, which makes much more sense of this enclosure's placement. The enclosure features a number of different levels, descending from the front to the back where there are some planted pools. In the middle and towards the back on the lower layers there are small trees that provide perches for the smaller birds present in the exhibit. Oddly enough, there were some workers in the enclosure when I visited.

I spotted a seemingly out of place Venezuelan Troupial on one of the rockwork pillars in the back of the exhibit, where it looks out towards the Africa courtyard. Trees in the center provided excellent perching space for an Eastern yellow-billed hornbill. I could not find any other birds, even though some more should be in here. I was quite happy with the good viewing of the Shoebill, which was on the front ledge of the exhibit, especially while watching as it spread its wings, and I managed to get a couple of good shots.

A small enclosure for the terrific and prehistoric-looking birds, but excellent for the smaller birds.

The last of the entery path exhibits is one for the little blue penguins. It is past a series of glass doors where an employee guides guests through, likely to stop people from sneaking in past this point. To the left, there is the exit from the gift shop that is past Mundo Maya. Straight ahead is a curved staircase that leads up into Cafe Maya and the Orinoco Rainforest. To the right of this staircase, through a long pane of windows, the Little blue penguin exhibit is viewable. Past the exhibit is the Africa courtyard below, which can be accessed from the Aquarium portion in the basement.

Photo by @geomorph of staircase and Little Penguin exhibit

12. Little Blue Penguin Exhibit
    Species seen in enclosure: Little Blue Penguin

The exhibit consists of a long narrow pool with many small boulders and a pebble substrate. It curves along the staircase to Cafe Maya. The plants and ferns decorating the Africa courtyard below overflow and give a tropical asthetic to the penguin exhibit. During my visit, one swam in the water a few times, but the rest mainly stayed on the rocks to the far right side, near where I presume their backstage access is.

In comparison to the exhibit for Little Blue Penguins I saw at Roo Valley in Cincinnati Zoo earlier in the year, this exhibit was not very impressive. The location on what could be a very conjested walkway also is not the best, and half of the exhibit is only really viewable from the stairs. Still, Little Blue Penguins are a favorite species of mine, and I was happy to see them again, even if they weren't being the most active and in the most spectacular enclosure.

5. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Borneo Species List

Seen:
    1. Green-naped Pheasant Pigeon (Otidiphaps nobilis nobilis), Wompoo Fruit Dove (Ptilinopus magnificus), Lesser bird-of-paradise (Paradisaea minor), Pesquet’s Parrot (Psittrichas fulgidus)
    2. Palm Cockatoo (Probosciger aterrimus)
    3. Red-tailed Black Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus banksii)
    4. Bali Mynah (Leucopsar rothschildi)
    5. Rhinoceros Hornbill (Buceros rhinoceros), Great Argus (Argusianus argus)
    6. Asian Arowanna (Scleropages formosus), Zebra Archerfish (Toxotes Blythii), Australian Lungfish (Neoceratodus forsteri)
    7. Blyth’s Hornbill (Rhyticeros plicatus), Western Crowned Pigeon (Goura cristata)
    8. Great Indian Hornbill (Buceros bicornis), Victoria Crowned Pigeon (Goura victoria)
    9. Koi
    10. x2 Mastchie’s Tree Kangaroo (Dendrolagus matschiei) (m)
    11. Shoebill (Balaeniceps rex), Eastern Yellow Bill Hornbill (Tockus flavirostris), Venezuelan Troupial (Icterus icterus)
    12. Little Blue Penguin (Eudyptula minor)
    I've also included the species listed on the website as well as from the guidebook that I didn't see on my visit. Both are outdated so most of the species below are not on exhibit, but some of them may have been and I simply missed them. The best way to find out what is currently on exhibit for sure is to go and see for yourself.

Online listing:

Banded Archerfish (Toxotes jaculatrix), Moluccan Cockatoo, Fischer’s Turaco

Field guide booklet:
    White-crested turaco, Raggiana bird-of-paradise, Luzon bleeding-heart dove, Jambu fruit dove

6. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

ORINOCO RAINFOREST- Canopy (Level 3) Part 1

Map from the Guidebook

Before entering the Orinoco rainforest, above the stairs, there is an enclosure for a pair of Blue-throated Macaws. Taking a left from the top of the stairs brings you into Cafe Maya. Another left brings you to an outdoor patio, with another viewing into the macaw enclosure.

Blue-throated Macaw (Ara glaucogularis)

The macaw enclosure consisted of only a few branches and is mainly just a glass box situated above the stairs. Back in Cafe Maya, there are large windows next to the seating areas that provide good views of the main atrium of Mundo Maya, including the pelicans, flamingos, and the sharks and sawfish in the cenote far below.

Continuing all the way to the back wall of Cafe Maya and to the right, there is a viewing area for the Selva Maya exhibit. Oddly enough, there is a glass door and staircase into this exhibit from the cafe, which I saw a worker utilizing during my visit. There was an active pair of Keel-billed toucans as well as a Great tinamou on the substrate below visible from here.

Returning to above the staircase, one can continue through a pair of glass doors into the main Orinoco Rainforest atrium. Immediately to the right is a spectacular exhibit for some true jewels of the jungle.

1. Jungle Jewels
    Seen: Wattled Jacana, Paradise tanager (Tangara chilensis), Guianan Red Cotinga (Phoenicircus carnifex), Brazilian tanager (Ramphocelus bresilius), White-bearded manakin (Manacus manacus) ID needed
    Field guide booklet: Swallow tanager, Golden-collared manakin, Red-capped manakin, Chiriqui quail-dove

The densely planted enclosure actually extended a fair way back and the foliage allowed for Wattled Jacanas to disappear into the ferns after emerging to take a bite at the central feeders. There were many ropes and branches all over for the rare and vibrant passerines to perch on. Parts of the rockwork were also backlit, and this helped with photography. The Paradise Tanagers and Guianan Red Cotingas stole the show, and on my second time around I also spotted a White-bearded Manakin on one of the branches to the far right. The Scaled Pigeons were easily viewable, and each time I came to the exhibit, there was a slightly different cast of birds visible, just like what happens when birding in the wild. A very memorable exhibit for some rare and vibrant small tropical birds.

I also saw this small green passerine in the enclosure, any ID help would be greatly appreciated!

Turning to the left of this exhibit is a spectacular view of the waterfall, monkey island, and the rest of this half of the Orinoco Rainforest.

Directly across from the Jungle Jewels exhibit and also viewable farther along the path is another exhibit with another alliterative 'J' name.

2. Jungle Junction
    Seen
    : Toco Toucan (Ramphastos toco), Northern Helmeted Curassow, Black-Necked Aracari (Pteroglossus aracari), Montezuma Oropendola (Psarocolius montezuma), Yellow-rumped Cacique (Cacicus cela), Pale-mandibled Aracari (Pteroglossus torquatus erythropygius), (Seperate) Boat-billed heron
    Field guide booklet: Giant anteater
    Photo by @snowleopard of Jungle Junction Exhibit

The main floor part of this exhibit has gotten more barren since snowleopard's image was taken in 2015, but with less foliage, it is easier to see the Helmeted Curassows and Toco Toucans. There are numerous stumps, logs, and branches scattered all over. While I didn't see them at all during my various trips around DWA, this exhibit normally holds Giant Anteater as well, although the enclosure is much more of an appropriate size for the birds than for the anteater. What makes this enclosure more unique, however, is how it really is a junction of various exhibits adjoined, as there are two aviaries viewable above.

The main one is connected directly above the ground portion, while separated by mesh to the upper right corner among the rafters is an area for a group of Boat-billed Herons. The main aviary portion directly above the ground level of Jungle Junction works well. This netted area extends a ways back and is very tall, so viewing from the pathway can be a bit awkward as one has to position themselves in the walkway to be at the right angle to spot some of the birds above. There are many branches that provide ample perching opportunities for birds like Montezuma Oropendola, Yellow-rumped Cacique, and Pale-mandabled Aracari. The Black-Necked Aracari for some reason preferred to perch on the netting to either side of the enclosure each time I visited.

Continuing along the pathway, which turns into a boardwalk, you pass by the waterfall and monkey island to the right, with views of the manatee river down below. To the left, there is a small exhibit for a lively pair of Callitrichids.

3. Pied Tamarin
    Pied Tamarin (Saguinus bicolor)

The glass window into this small exhibit provided good viewing of the 'Gremlin monkeys' as a fellow visitor amusingly called them. With their bare heads and striking features, I could definitely see the resemblance. The pair were very active, bounding around the branches and rockwork between the ferns of their enclosure. It was nicely planted and the netting in the back provided a view into the other side of the Orinoco Rainforest. This exhibit was nestled into the rockwork which, along with the next enclosure, separates the two halves of the Orinoco Rainforest. The free-flight birds can still move between the two sides, but the sightlines are separated by this rock wall.

Lobo del Rio view

This is the following exhibit that is set within the rock wall, and it provides a view across into the other side of the Orinoco Rainforest. It is quite small for the Giant River Otters it houses, but we'll get back to those when the path loops back around to the other side.

4. Monkey Island
    Seen: White-faced saki monkey (Pithecia pithecia)

The centerpiece of this area which the path goes around is the Monkey Island. Beyond the rails of the boardwalk, one can view the manatee river a few stories below, home to the Antillean manatee and various waterfowl. A group of tall trees reaches the third level and above, where the White-faced Saki monkey likes to climb.

Here, the path splits, with the boardwalk widening out into a small area to sit, which is across from the monkey island. The other side of the path continues through some trees to the remaining portion of the Orinoco Rainforest on the left. To the right, the boardwalk goes past the Monkey Island and through simulated canyon rapids, into the newest section of the Dallas World Aquarium, the Cloud Forest Trek.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2022
  7. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

CLOUD FOREST TREK

Being the newest addition to the Dallas World Aquarium, there is no map for this section. A map is not really needed, anyways, as the area is comprised of a single high-ceilinged room.

Going along the boardwalk to the right, past the Monkey Island, visitors are led to a tunnel between two enclosures set in a replicated canyon, serving as a border into a new area.

1. Rapids
    Seen: Silver teal (Spatula versicolor), Puna teal, White-faced Whistling Duck
    The enclosure to the left was where the waterfowl were. There was mesh to the side and glass viewing inside the tunnel. A rocky backdrop with foliage provided perching space for the ducks, and there was a shallow water feature fed by an artificial waterfall to simulate the more riparious water conditions the ducks are used to. The water seems to flow across and under to the right side of the pathway where the next enclosure is.

That enclosure, called the 'Lek', extends much farther than just this area, so I didn't see anything in it from this vantage point.

Passing through the tunnel, visitors have a good chance of being greeted by a mister as they enter the main room.

To the left is the large enclosed free-flight area known as the Lek.

2. Lek
    Seen: Andean Cock-of-the-rock (Rupicola peruvianus), Plate-billed Mountain Toucan (Andigena laminirostris), Purple-Throated Fruitcrow (Querula purpurata), Golden-headed Quetzal, Scaled Pigeon
    Most of the birds were in this main section, hopping from tree to tree. The Plate-billed Mountain Toucan made a good showing. Up in the far corner and perched in the rafters I could make out a Golden-headed Quetzal and more Scaled Pigeons. There was a fruit crow outside the netting in the main area that seemed to be desperately trying to get in, where there were other fruit crows inside. Overall, a good and well-planted enclosure, and the species list is phenomenal. There may have been more in the enclosure but with no signage and high viewing angles, I have no way of knowing.

Next to the Rapids enclosure, to the left of where visitors first enter the room, is a simple triangular glass enclosure for Channel-billed Toucan.

3. Channel-billed/Ariel Toucan enclosure
    Seen: Channel-billed Toucan (Ramphastos vitellinus)

This enclosure suffered from glare and was sparsely furnished. I was glad to see the species, but the enclosure left much to be desired, really.

Past this enclosure was a series of branching tree structures for another mega rarity, the main one that comes to mind when referring to DWA.

4. Three-Toed Sloth Tree
    Brown-Throated Three-Toed Sloth (Bradypus variegatus) (m)

This was a nice moc tree with many branches for the sloth to explore and provided good viewing angles of the super rare sloth. It was certainly a highlight watching the sloth climb around the tree at a snail's, or rather, a sloth's, pace.

Along the back wall of the room was a series of smaller enclosures, the first of which was in the leftmost back corner.

5. Cotton-top Tamarin
    Cotton-top Tamarin (Saguinus oedipus) (m)
    The enclosure for the tamarins is another sparse one, with the same style of ornate branches as the ones in the Blue-throated Macaw enclosure. An interesting aspect about this one is that the back windows are clear, rather than tinted like the rest of the aquarium's, providing both visitors and the monkies a view into downtown Dallas. I wonder what the tiny callitrichids make of what they see from their penthouse window.

6. Playa del Oro (Multiple terrariums)
    Species seen:
    Red-Banded/Lehmann's Poison Frog (Oophaga lehmanni), Blue morph Harlequin Poison Frog (Oophaga histrionica), Waxy monkey tree frog (Phyllomedusa Sauvagei), Fringed Leaf Frog, Diablito/ Little Devil Poison Frog (Oophaga sylvatica), Purple Harlequin Toad (Atelopus barbotini), Red-headed Poison Frog (Ranitomeya fantastica), (Ranitomeya amazonica) Iquitos, (Ranitomeya summersi), Brazilian poison frog (Ranitomeya vanzolinii), Golden poison frog (Phyllobates terribilis), Hoogmoed’s Harlequin Toad (Atelopus hoogmoedi), Elegant Harlequin Toad (Atelopus elegans)
    Most of the back wall to the right of the tamarin enclosure is comprised of a series of good anuran terrariums. Signage is pretty spotty, a common theme you might have picked up by now, but the 15 or so terrariums here contain many rarities and are well furnished. Many of the species only have a few results in the Zoochat gallery, with a few not being represented at all.

7. Waterfall Fish Tank
    Species seen: Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus psittacus)
    Near the middle of the room is this open-topped circular fish tank for some colorful parrot cichlids. It is fed by a tall waterfall from above the Playa Del Oro enclosures.

8. Pudu
    Southern Pudu (Pudu puda) (m)
    Along the right wall, past lots of foliage, is a long and skinny enclosure for southern pudu. There is a pudu in the above image, and you could see it about as well in person as you can in that image. One has to crouch and peer beneath the ferns to get any clear views, which of course is what I did.

There were also many free-flight birds that I saw in various perches and feeders in this area, but I will cover them with the rest of the free-flight species in the Orinoco Rainforest because the two areas are connected and the birds can go between them.

Overall, the Cloud Forest Trek was a good addition to the Dallas World Aquarium and the Playa Del Oro gallery was especially interesting, as were the rare birds and the Sloth. The only thing missing here is the resplendent quetzals.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2022
  8. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Cloud Forest Trek Species List:
    1. Puna Teal (Spatula puna)
    2. Silver teal (Spatula versicolor)
    3. White-faced Whistling Duck
    4. Andean Cock-of-the-rock (Rupicola peruvianus)
    5. Plate-billed Mountain Toucan (Andigena laminirostris)
    6. Purple-Throated Fruitcrow (Querula purpurata)
    7. Golden-headed Quetzal (Pharomachrus auriceps)
    8. Channel-billed Toucan (Ramphastos vitellinus)
    9. Brown-Throated Three-Toed Sloth (Bradypus variegatus) (m)
    10. Cotton-top Tamarin (Saguinus oedipus) (m)
    11. Red-Banded/Lehmann's Poison Frog (Oophaga lehmanni) (a)
    12. Blue morph Harlequin Poison Frog (Oophaga histrionica) (a)
    13. Waxy monkey tree frog (Phyllomedusa Sauvagei) (a)
    14. Fringed Leaf Frog
    15. Diablito/ Little Devil Poison Frog (Oophaga sylvatica) (a)
    16. Purple Harlequin Toad (Atelopus barbotini) (a)
    17. Red-headed Poison Frog (Ranitomeya fantastica) (a)
    18. Amazon Poison Frog (Ranitomeya amazonica) Iquitos (a)
    19. Summer’s Poison Frog (Ranitomeya summersi) (a)
    20. Brazilian Poison Frog (Ranitomeya vanzolinii) (a)
    21. Golden poison frog (Phyllobates terribilis) (a)
    22. Hoogmoed’s Harlequin Toad (Atelopus hoogmoedi) (a)
    23. Elegant Harlequin Toad (Atelopus elegans) (a)
    24. Limón Harlequin Toad (a) (Signed, not seen)
    25. Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus psittacus) (f)
    26. Southern Pudu (Pudu puda) (m)

9. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Thanks to @Zoological Point and @Coelacanth18's help, this bird has been ID'd as a White-crowned Manakin (Pseudopipra pipra) juvenile.

Zoological Point likes this.
  10. Zoological Point

Zoological Point Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Happy to be of assistance

CMP likes this.
  11. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

As the species lists are only going to get more outdated with time, I'll post the lists now and finish up the write-ups and post them later.

Orinoco Rainforest

Free flight
    Seen: Green Oropendola (Psarocolius viridis), Crested Oropendola (Psarocolius decumanus), Purple-Throated Fruitcrow, Chestnut-eared Aracari (Pteroglossus castanotis), Red-rumped Cacique (Cacicus haemorrhous), Crimson-backed Tanager (Ramphocelus dimidiatus), Blue-gray tanager (Thraupis episcopus), Yellow-green Grosbeak (Caryothraustes canadensis), Scarlet Ibis, Guira Cuckoo (Guira guira)

Jungle Jewels

Seen
    : Wattled Jacana, Paradise tanager (Tangara chilensis), Guianan Red Cotinga (Phoenicircus carnifex), Brazilian tanager (Ramphocelus bresilius), White-bearded manakin (Manacus manacus), White-crowned Manakin (Pseudopipra pipra)
    Field guide booklet: Swallow tanager, Golden-collared manakin, Red-capped manakin, Chiriqui quail-dove

Jungle Junction

Seen
    : Toco Toucan (Ramphastos toco), Northern Helmeted Curassow, Black-Necked Aracari (Pteroglossus aracari), Montezuma Oropendola (Psarocolius montezuma), Yellow-rumped Cacique (Cacicus cela), Pale-mandibled Aracari (Pteroglossus torquatus erythropygius), Boat-billed heron
    Field guide booklet: Giant anteater

Pied Tamarin enclosure

Pied Tamarin (Saguinus bicolor)

Monkey Island

White-faced saki monkey (Pithecia pithecia)

Toucan Encounter

Seen:

Keel-billed Toucan (Ramphastos sulfuratus)

Many-banded Aracari (Pteroglossus pluricinctus)

Field guide booklet: Curl-crested aracari

Howler Heights

Colombian Red Howler Monkey (Alouatta seniculus)

Cotinga Corner

Seen: Guianan cock-of-the-rock (Rupicola rupicola), Capuchin bird (Perissocephalus tricolor), Black-necked Aracari, Curl-crested aracari (Pteroglossus beauharnaisii), Fiery billed aracari (Pteroglossus frantzii)
    Field guide booklet: Umbrellabird, Black-necked Aracari, Pale-mandable Aracari

Lobo Del Rio

Giant Otter (Pteronura brasiliensis)

Lizard Cove

Seen:

Caiman Lizard

Red-footed Tortoise

Field guide booklet: Golden Lion Tamarin

Hidden Treasures

Seen:

Bronze-winged Parrot (Pionus chalcopterus), Golden-headed Manakin (Ceratopipra erythrocephala), Trogon sp, Paradise Tanager, Wattled Jacana, Purplish-backed Quail-dove

Wattled Guan (Aburria aburri), Red-breasted Toucan (Ramphastos dicolorus), Golden lion tamarin (Leontopithecus rosalia)

Field guide booklet: Saffron Toucanet, Guianan Red Cotinga

The Cave

Seen:

Yellow-banded Poison Dart Frog

Emerald Tree Boa

Field guide booklet: Amazon Tree Boa
    Online listing: Waxy Monkey Tree Frog

The River’s Edge

Seen
    :

Double Yellow-headed Amazon Parrot (Amazona oratrix)

Green Anaconda (Eunectes murinus), Cardinal Tetra, Unsigned Corydoras, Unsigned Tetra

Field guide booklet: Spiny-tailed iguana, Blue discus, Emperor Tamarin
    Online listing: Saffron Toucanet, Blue Poison Dart Frog

Bats and Bugs

Seen:

Cuvier’s Dwarf Caiman (Paleosuchus palpebrosus)

Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula

Budgett’s Frog

Common vampire bat

Mexican fireleg tarantula (Brachypelma boehmei)

Field guide booklet: Strawberry poison dart frog, Amazonian poison frog, Green basilisk, Brazilian yellow head

Crocodile Cove

Seen
    :
    Orinoco crocodile (Crocodylus intermedius), unsigned fish
    Field guide booklet: Red-tailed boa constrictor

Flooded Forest

Seen:

Aquatic Caecilian (Typhlonectes natans)

Electric Eel

Dyeing poison frog (Brazilian yellow-headed morph)

Bigtooth River Stingray (Potamotrygon henlei), Yellow-spotted Amazon turtle, Arrau turtle?, Silver arowana (Osteoglossum bicirrhosum), Chalceus sp.

Online listing: Black-banded Leporinus

Toucan Terrace

Seen:

Purplish-backed Quail-dove, Golden-headed Quetzal, mot-mot

Hawk-headed Parrot

Spot-billed Toucanet (Selenidera maculirostris)

Toco toucan, Grey winged trumpeter, Black-necked aracari

Razor-billed curassow (Mitu tuberosum)

Xingu river ray

Black-necked swan (Cygnus melancoryphus), Black-bellied whistling duck (Dendrocygna autumnalis), Southern Pochard (Netta erythrophthalma)

Elegant crested tinamou (Eudromia elegans), Saffron Toucanet (Pteroglossus bailloni)

Hoffman’s Two-toed sloth (Choloepus hoffmanni) (m), Golden-headed lion tamarin (Leontopithecus chrysomelas) (m)

Field guide booklet: Wattled curassow, Ringed teal, Rosy-billed pochard, Orinoco Goose
    Online listing: Curl-crested aracari

The River

Seen
    :

Surinam toad (Pipa pipa), Greenhouse millipede (Oxidus gracilis) (‘Wild’?)

Dyeing dart frog (Blue morph)

Antillean Manatee, Arapaima, Red-tailed catfish, Ripsaw catfish, Golden dorado, Arrau turtle, Piranha sp.

Field guide booklet: Spotted shovel-nosed catfish, Xingu river ray

12. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Southern Africa

Seen:
    Fischer’s Turaco (Tauraco fischeri)

African Penguin (Spheniscus demersus)

Madagascar
    Seen (Many enclosures closed due to colder weather):
    Blue-bellied roller (Coracias cyanogaster)

Radiated tortoise (Astrochelys radiata)

Tomato frog (Dyscophus antongilii)

Field guide booklet: 'Leaf-tailed geckos', Madagascar giant day gecko
    Online listing: Warty chameleon, Oustalet’s chameleon, Panther chameleon, Madagascar big-headed turtle, African green pigeon, Great blue turaco, White-crested turaco

Coelacanth18 and Bengal Tiger like this.
  13. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Aquarium

Solomon Islands
    Seen:
    1. Moon Jelly (Aurelia aurita)
    2. Flashlightfish (Photoblepharon palpebratus), Racoon butterflyfish (Chaetodon lunula)
    Online listing: Harlequin shrimp, White-capped clownfish, Blond Naso Tang

Southern Australia
    Seen:
    1. Pot-bellied seahorse (Hippocampus abdominalis)
    2. Weedy Seadragon (Phyllopteryx taeniolatus), Leafy seadragon (Phycodurus eques), Tasseled anglerfish (Rhycherus filamentosus)

Lord Howe Island
    Seen: Spectacled angelfish (Chaetodontoplus conspicillatus), Mccullochi clownfish (Amphiprion mccullochi), Blue-green chromis (Chromis viridis), Painted Goldie anthias (Pseudanthias pictilis)
    Online listing: Wideband anemonefish, Comb wrasse

Palau
    Seen:

1. White-capped clownfish (Amphiprion leucokranos), Helfrich’s dartfish (Nemateleotris helfrichi), Filefish ID
    2. Wantanabe’s angelfish (Genicanthus watanabei), Starki damsel (Chrysiptera starcki), Magnificent Foxface (Siganus magnificus), Orange-spine unicornfish, Purple tang, White-capped clownfish (Amphiprion leucokranos)
    Field guide booklet: Mandarin Dragonets

Fiji
    Seen:
    Lyretail anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis), Zebra angelfish (Genicanthus caudovittatus), Tomato clownfish (Amphiprion frenatus)
    Online listing: Japanese swallowtail angelfish, Pink skunk clownfish, Barred spinefoot, Spinefoot foxface

New Guinea
    Seen:
    1. Shrimpfish (Aeoliscus strigatus), Yellowtail blue damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema), Saddleback butterflyfish (Chaetodon falcula)
    2. Hippo tang (Paracanthurus hepatus), Copperband butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus), Yellow scissortail (Assessor flavissimus), Blue scissortail (Assessor macneilii), Twospot hogfish (Bodianus bimaculatus), Emperor angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator), Threadfin Cardinalfish (Zoramia leptacanthus)
    Online listing: Ribboned seadragon, Mandarin dragonet, Percula clownfish

British Columbia
    Seen:

1. Bat sea star (Patiria miniata), Anemones, sea stars, sea urchins
    2. China Rockfish (Sebastes nebulosus), Spot Prawn (Pandalus platyceros)
    Online listing: Blackeye goby
    Field guide booklet: Sea cucumbers

Sri Lanka
    Seen: Threadfin anthias (Nemanthias carberryi), Yellowback anthias (Pseudanthias evansi), Moorish idol (Zanclus cornutus), Weedy scorpionfish (Rhinopias frondosa), Gem tang (Zebrasoma gemmatum), Zebra angelfish (Genicanthus caudovittatus), Mitratus butterflyfish (Chaetodon mitratus), Powder blue tang (Acanthurus leucosternon), Omani clownfish (Amphiprion omanensis), Japanese swallowtail angelfish (Genicanthus semifasciatus)
    Online listing: Eschmeyer’s scorpionfish

Denizens of the Deep
    Seen:
    Japanese spider crab (Macrocheira kaempferi), Longspine snipefish (Macroramphosus scolopax)
    Online listing: Bluelined hulafish, Yellowhead hulafish

Indonesia
    Seen:

1. Red fire goby (Nemateleotris magnifica)
    2. Bellus lyretail angelfish (Genicanthus bellus), Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni), Mimic surgeonfish (Acanthurus pyroferus), Fathead anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)
    Online listing: Flamboyant cuttlefish, Orange skunk clownfish, Black ocellaris clownfish

Japan
    Seen: Wrought-iron butterflyfish (Chaetodon daedalma), Splendid garden eel (Gorgasia preclara), Spotted garden eel (Heteroconger hassi), Blue-striped angelfish (Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis), Maroon Clownfish (Amphiprion biaculeatus), Powder-brown tang (Acanthurus japonicus), Bluestreak cleaner wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus)
    Online listing: Blotchy anthias

Continental Shelf
    Seen:
    Blue-dot stingray (Neotrygon kuhlii), Bluespine unicornfish (Naso unicornis), Pailtail unicornfish (Naso brevirostris), Goldspot pigfish (Bodianus perditio), Guineafowl puffer (Arothron meleagris), Napoleon wrasse (Cheilinus undulatus), Clown triggerfish (Balistoides conspicillum), Red-toothed triggerfish (Odonus niger), Lagoon triggerfish (Rhinecanthus aculeatus), Magnificent foxface (Siganus magnificus), Masked butterflyfish (Chaetodon semilarvatus), Threadfin butterflyfish (Chaetodon auriga), Striped surgeonfish (Acanthurus lineatus), Pacific double saddle butterflyfish (Chaetodon ulietensis), Bignose unicornfish (Naso vlamingii), Crosshatch triggerfish (Xanthichthys mento), Blue girdled angelfish (Pomacanthus navarchus), Blotched foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
    Online listing: Threadfin snapper, Dragon wrasse, Harlequin tuskfish

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  14. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Mundo Maya

River Delta
    Seen:

1. Jaguar cichlid (Parachromis managuensis)
    2. Hernandez’s helmeted basilisk (Corytophanes hernandesii)
    (A few more clouded terrariums here, couldn't see anything in them)
    Field guide booklet: Green-and-black poison dart frog, Mexican leaf frog, Red-knee tarantula, Blue spiny lizard, Brown basilisk
    Online listing: Antilles pink-toed tarantula, Hourglass tree frog, Red-eared slider, Jack Dempsey cichlid, Helmeted basilisk, Crevice spiny lizard, Mexican giant musk turtle,

Fishes of the cenote
    Seen:

1. Blind cave fish (Astyanax mexicanus)
    2. Eastern screech owl (Megascops asio) (Behind the fishtank)

Los Petenes
    Seen:
    1. Desert cottontail (Sylvilagus audubonii), Burrowing owl (Athene cunicularia)
    2. Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum)

Cenote
    Seen:

1. Common lionfish (Pterois voltans)
    2. Freshwater sawfish (Pristis microdon), Sandbar shark (Carcharhinus plumbeus), Sheepshead
    (Archosargus probatocephalus)​
    Field guide booklet: Giant grouper
    Online listing: Bonnethead shark

Marine Creatures
    Seen:

1. Marine toad (Rhinella marina)
    2. Black durgon (Melichthys niger), Clarion angelfish (Holacanthus clarionensis), Blue chromis
    (Chromis cyanea)​
    3. Horseshoe crab, Slipper Lobster ID
    4. Lined seahorse (Hippocampus erectus), Porcupine puffer (Diodon holocanthus)
    5. Pipefish ID
    Field guide booklet: Spotted moray eel, royal gramma, bluehead wrasse
    Online listing: Four-eye butterflyfish, Arrow crab

Serpent’s Den
    Seen:

1. Brown basilisk (Basiliscus vittatus)
    2. Terciopelo Fer-de-lance (Bothrops asper)
    3. Mexican beaded lizard (Heloderma horridum)
    4. Neotropical rattlesnake (Crotalus durissus) (In divided terrarium behind beaded lizard)
    5. Eyelash palm viper (Bothriechis schlegelii)

House of Zotz
    Seen:
    1. Barred owl (Strix varia)
    2. Seba’s short tailed bat (Carollia perspicillata)
    3. Red eyed tree frog (Agalychnis Callidryas)
    4. Morelet’s crocodile (Crocodylus moreletii)
    5. Painted wood turtle (Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima)
    6. Spiny-tailed iguana (Ctenosaura similis)
    Field guide booklet: Red-tailed boa
    Online listing: Spectacled owl

Caribbean creatures
    Seen: Lesser devil ray (Mobula hypostoma), Southern stingray (Hypanus americanus), Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus), Queen angelfish (Holacanthus ciliaris), French angelfish (Pomacanthus paru), Spotfin butterflyfish (Chaetodon ocellatus)
    Field guide booklet: Spotted eagle ray
    Online listing: Blue parrotfish, lookdown, Hogfish

Birds of el Triunfo
    Seen:

1. Scarlet macaw (Ara macao)
    2. Harpy eagle (Harpia harpyja)

Mayan Temple
    Seen: Ocelot (Leopardus pardalis)

Selva Maya
    Seen:
    Keel-billed toucan (Ramphastos sulfuratus), Great Tinamou (Tinamus major) (And young!)
    Field guide booklet: Ocellated turkey, spectacled owl, Black hawk eagle

Pelican reef
    Seen:

1. American Flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber)
    2. Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis)

Free flight
    Seen:
    Spangled cotinga (Cotinga cayana), Violaceous Euphonia (Euphonia violacea)
    Field guide booklet:
    Burnished-buff tanager, blue dacnis, yellow grosbeak, spangled cotinga, ornate hawk eagle, guiana crested eagle, purple-throated fruitcrow, wattled jacana, broad-billed hummingbird, black-chinned hummingbird, costa's hummingbird, rufous hummingbird, green-backed trogon, spotted tanager, golden-headed quetzal, purple honeycreeper, red-legged honeycreeper
    Online listing: Sparkling violetear (Colibri coruscans), Green mango (Anthracocothorax viridis), Green-throated Carib (Eulampis holosericeus), Puerto Rican emerald (Chlorostilbon maugaeus) and Giant hummingbird (Patagona gigas), bay-headed tanager, silver-throated tanager, golden tanager, Yellow-green grosbeak, Red-crowned woodpecker (Melanerpes rubricapillus), Puerto Rican woodpecker (Melanerpes portoricensis), Panamanian acorn woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivorus striatipectus) and Golden-naped woodpecker (Melanerpes chrysauchen)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's the full species list. It's bound to be incomplete and somewhat inaccurate at this point nearly 6 months later, given how frequently the species rotate and how poor the signage is, but it's the most updated one on the website, and for a facility like DWA I felt this list was needed.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2022
  15. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Thank you for posting the list and I appreciate how challenging it is for this facility!

Summer Tanager, CMP and Coelacanth18 like this.
  16. GiornoPizza

GiornoPizza Member

Having just been, I also did not see the giant anteater... I am curious if they're just holding them off exhibit or if it's something else. I went last year at the end of July and saw one, but since then I haven't seen anyone on Zoochat mention them, nor on social media. Hope they're alright. Not sure if anyone here would know.[​IMG]

This species list is also still largely correct, but I did see the flamboyant cuttlefish and two crested tinamous with some aracari in an area by the two Hoffman's sloth.

TinoPup and CMP like this.
  17. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on the anteaters. If the anteaters are gone from that exhibit, as much as I like seeing them, it might honestly be for the better, the enclosure is pretty small and the species is present at many other zoos anyways.

Yes, I have this enclosure listed in my species list:

GiornoPizza likes this.
  18. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The giant anteaters are still there — they’re just not reliably seen. I saw them briefly in January. I know a coworker saw them on a visit to the aquarium over the weekend, as she posted a video of one on her Instagram story.

TinoPup, GiornoPizza, CMP and 2 others like this.
  19. branta68

branta68 Member 10+ year member

I am planning a trip to dallas this spring do they still have howler monkeys ?

20. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

Yes they do. Above the snack bar in the Orinoco canopy area.