Join our zoo community

Dallas World Aquarium Dallas World Aquarium

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 16 May 2008.

1. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

The bird in that video is a Golden-headed Quetzal, which should still be on exhibit. As of my last visit, the intro video to the aquarium as you walked in featured a Resplendent Quetzal however, which they should still have, just not on exhibit. I don't believe the aquarium offers reciprocity.

2. drill

drill Well-Known Member

What I meant was that I think they got rid of that part in the video.

3. d1am0ndback

The video on the website is lacking a massive chunk of the video from the entry to the aquarium, it appears to be a significantly shortened version of it. Species such as Brown-throated Three-toed Sloth, White-faced Saki, and Guianan Red Cotinga which are all definitely still on exhibit appear to have also been cut from the website video.

4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Has the new Cloud Forest addition to Orinoco opened yet? It appears that nobody has posted photos of it. If it's open, I'm planning to visit in the next couple of days so I'll make sure to get plenty of photos.

5. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It is not yet open, though a lot of progress has been made and it hopefully will be soon.

6. Coelacanth18

Oh, that's unfortunate. Any word what species it will hold?

7. Zoological Point

Zoological Point Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to signage I saw during my visit in August and the guide manual, it will have Southern Pudu and Torrent Ducks. I'm unaware if any other zoos in the US have these ducks.

8. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A Giant Anteater was recently born.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. d1am0ndback

The Dallas World Aquarium has recently bred Blue Coua as announced on their Facebook and Instagram. It appears as though the birds are kept off exhibit.

Kifaru Bwana, FBBird and Great Argus like this.
  10. d1am0ndback

I visited the Dallas World Aquarium very recently and noticed a few notable things.
    3 new species have been placed on exhibit:
    Golden-sided Euphonia in the manakin enclosure
    Bronze-winged Parrot in the relatively new enclosure underneath the newly constructed bridge
    Saffron Toucanet where the Curl-crested Aracari used to be, still with Elegant-crested Tinamou

In terms of changes to exhibits, Curl-crested Aracari have moved to the Veriscolor Barbet enclosure. I could not find the barbets so they may have been moved off exhibit. Black-necked Aracari can be seen in the Anteater enclosure, but the Many-banded Aracari are still visible in a fenced off region adjacent to this enclosure. The Occelated Turkey/Spectacled Owl/Agouti enclosure is under renovation. Above the waterfall in Mundo Maya a newly fenced off area can be seen holding several Occelated Turkeys.

In terms of construction, it is blocked off from public view by a very large wall, so I am unsure of what it looks like.

A few other notes, a Scaled Pigeon chick was view-able from the window in the manakin enclosure. Also in the manakin enclosure, the juvenile White-crowned Manakin has grown into its adult male plumage which is stunning to look at.

11. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Do you know if yapok are still present?

12. Coelacanth18

Still was when I visited a little over a month ago.

pangolin12 likes this.
  13. d1am0ndback

It was upon my visit but I was told it is becoming very old (already well over the life expectancy in the wild) so I doubt it will be view-able to the public for long. I could also tell from the movement that the animal is becoming quite old.

pangolin12 likes this.
  14. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wait a minute, where are the Yapok located? I thought they no longer had them, and I couldn't find them. That's a bummer.

15. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any idea if they will replace it and continue to exhibit the species after the current one passes?

16. d1am0ndback

There has been one Yapok on exhibit for just about over a year now. The exhibit is the same exhibit as they have been in the past, located at the start of Mundo Maya, just as you leave the traditional aquarium section. This individual has been extremely unlike the past Yapoks as it can regularly be seen active, and even when sleeping tends to be visible.

I have no idea what any plans are.

pangolin12 and Great Argus like this.
  17. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Thanks everyone!:)

18. d1am0ndback

I have noticed Violaceous Euphonia, Black-faced Tanager, and Spotted Tanager in the Mundo Maya freeflight. I have also been told there are a few Lined Seedeaters in the free flight as well. It also appears more Burnish-buffed Tanagers have been put into free flight given they are quite plentiful now within the trees. All of these are relatively recent additions and all the species in bold are new species to the collection, at least within the past several years.

ThylacineAlive and TZDugong like this.
  19. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fairly unremarkable news, but DWA has added a binturong to their program, named Bimo.

20. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Actually, it is remarkable - it is of the Palawan subspecies, rare in US zoos.

ThylacineAlive and TinoPup like this.